• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Information needed please.

NikFarrugia

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi all. I would like to walk from Santiago di Compostela to Muxia via Cape Fisterra. On average how many days would I need? And is April/May a good time to go? Do you have any tips please? Also, do you think a six year old can make it? Thank you in advance.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
do you think a six year old can make it?
You know better than we about the six year old, but my guess is "no."

Five days of hard walking will get you to Muxia through Fisterra; six would be better. April and May will see some rain, but heat is usually the problem for pilgrims; it can be hot from June onward.

You know better than we about the six year old, but my guess is "no."

Five days of hard walking will get you to Muxia through Fisterra; six would be better. April and May will see some rain, but heat is usually the problem for pilgrims; it can be hot from June onward.

I thought so about the 6 year old but thought I would ask just in case :) Some rain is definitely better than heat which is a killer on long walks. Thank you for your reply.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I thought so about the 6 year old but thought I would ask just in case
If the walk is the child's idea and you don't pound him/her into the ground each day, caminos are quite possible. I met an Australian girl of about 12 who planned the entire trip for herself and her mother. She glided along. I took my 4 1/2 grandson from Sarria, and he did great (10 days, some dormitories, but private rooms were better). He trained for it, and was very pumped up every day. However, when he was done, we were done (father and grandfather). The Atlantic loop from Santiago is more difficult for adults than Sarria to Santiago. :)

Hi, my advice would be to base yourself somewhere and leave the walking as flexible as possible!
It means you only have to carry a day pack.
If you were to port your luggage each day to your next accommodation then this would compensate for taxis to and from your base!
Casa Loncho at Olveiroa is pretty central and has private rooms and an albergue plus it's own taxi service!
Very friendly and helpful.
Beun Camino!

Visit the godesalcco.com website to use the planner for the route to Finisterre.
With that tool you will be able to plan an itinerary with distances that suit you. The one attached has mostly 10km days which might be suitable for some children. But there is a 14.7km stage from Hospital to Cee with no accommodations between the two. I know some six year olds who could probably enjoy it (eg my niece) and some older kids who couldn’t.

As an aside - I recommend giving a more descriptive title to your thread than “need information.” If everyone who needed information put “information please” as the thread title, this forum would become unusable.

Attachments

• Prolongacion a Finisterre (Etapas).pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 5
Last edited by a moderator:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi all. I would like to walk from Santiago di Compostela to Muxia via Cape Fisterra. On average how many days would I need? And is April/May a good time to go? Do you have any tips please? Also, do you think a six year old can make it? Thank you in advance.

I did this route last year. I wrote a blog of my whole journey, but if you jump to the end, you can see my thoughts on the portions along the Muxia/Fisterra route. If you stick to the main route (I did a slight alternate for a portion of the Fisterra-Muxia section) then it is not challenging walking. I went in October and it was cold/wet but I enjoyed that. It wasn't unpleasant at all. I am not sure what April/May would be like.

Most read last week in this forum

My husband and I would like to spend a night in Muxia after walking to Santiago but don’t have time to walk there. Rome to Rio says there’s busses twice daily, but if you go to the Monbus website...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back