• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Information on the Camino de Madrid?

Ted Stek

Time of past OR future Camino
CF, SJPDP-SdC (5-16) VDLP, Sevilla-SdC (9-16), CM/CF Madrid-SdC (4-18), CP, Lisbon-SdC (9-19)
Hello Camino Freinds,

I am returning to Spain to trek another Camino, after being sidelined due to an injury and then having knee surgery. I am arriving in Madrid on May 9th and haven’t decided which Camino I will walk? Because my knee replacement was only four months ago I am going to be a bit cautious at first and walk a Camino that’s a little more level, but also different, until I get my stride back. I am thinking of starting in Madrid on the Camino de Madrid to Sahagún and then continue on the Francis to Santiago. I know the Madrid is not well know or traveled but I like the thought of something different. Is anyone walking it this month and does anyone have some tips about it?

Thanks,
Ted

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The first few days out of Madrid aren't particularly level: you cross the Sierra de Guadarrama, with some long days and mountainous terrain. By the time I reached Cercedilla I'd clocked up 1800 metres of ascent, spread over three days - and that's before you cross the mountain ridge to Segovia.

Hi Rob,

Thank you for your response! With so few people having trekked the Madrid I figured it would be a while before someone responded.

I see from the guide, and now your information, that there is a climb before Segovia. I am not so much concerned about the ascent but really more with the terrain after my knee surgery. I know from the previous Francis that coming out of SJPDP the terrain is a little rough and I wanted to start off slow at first.

Did you have any trouble finding places to stay before Segovia? My understanding is that once past Segovia albergues and hostals are plentiful? How was the long stretch before Segovia? I know it will be cold going over the pass but there doesn’t not appear to be any snow.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi @Ted Stek, I didn't walk the pass to Segovia: snow and stormy weather, so I took the train from Cercedilla. The terrain between Tres Cantos and Cercedilla was rough in patches, if I remember rightly.

You'd be better off posting in the Camino de Madrid subforum: there are plenty of people there who have walked the route more recently than I did.

I am not familiar with the subform?

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Hi everybody, Which is the best way by foot : Uclès to Madrid or Madrid to Uclès (in july !)? And where find informations about accomodation ? Thank you

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back