• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Information on Via Francingena Alternate Routes

Ray J

Where exactly are we?
Time of past OR future Camino
CF
Rota Vicentina & Portuguese
Paris to Moulins & Le Puy
VF
Cornwall & John Muir Way
Thinking about taking the alternate legs from San Quirico to Abbadia San Salvatore, then to Acquapendente via Proceno. Has anyone got information on how well this route is marked? Do you recommend taking it instead of the standard route through Radicofani?

Also, is the distance that the Via Francingena website gives for those alternatives (approx. 55 km, inc. Acquapendente) accurate? The route looks much longer on the map than the San Quirico to Radicofani to Acquapendente route, but adds up to being slightly shorter.

Thanks!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The alternative route to Abbadia San Salvatore is off the route to Radicofani quite some way after Le Briccole. I have walked both routes, and I would choose Radicofani again. The differences in mileages are not worth worrying about. Both routes are well marked.

I have also walked the Proceno route twice but it is quite a bit further than going to Acquapendente via Centeno, but the scenery is stunning and you dont have the road walking from Centeno to Acquapendente. Either way, you dont get to avoid the long hill into Acquapendente!. There is one section on the Proceno route that is a bit confusing, but otherwise the marking is fine.

I have walked 2 years in a row and marvel and the improvement in the marking each year.

The alternative route to Abbadia San Salvatore is off the route to Radicofani quite some way after Le Briccole. I have walked both routes, and I would choose Radicofani again. The differences in mileages are not worth worrying about. Both routes are well marked.

I have also walked the Proceno route twice but it is quite a bit further than going to Acquapendente via Centeno, but the scenery is stunning and you dont have the road walking from Centeno to Acquapendente. Either way, you dont get to avoid the long hill into Acquapendente!. There is one section on the Proceno route that is a bit confusing, but otherwise the marking is fine.

I have walked 2 years in a row and marvel and the improvement in the marking each year.

Thanks so much for this information - it's exactly what I was looking for. Do you have any favorite things to do, or places to stay, maybe things to look out for? How crowded does this trail get? Again, many thanks!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
We stayed at Bagno San Fillopo on the way to Radicofani - about 3 kms off the VG route and about 8 kms before Radicofani. It was a great detour and the hot thermal pools were great. On the 2 occasions I walked the Proceno route I did not see another pilgrim. However, when we stopped at the bar at Ponte a Rigo we met up with a few walkers who were all going the Centeno route. So, the trail definitely does not get crowded. I think I met more in September last year than in June the previous year. However, we did not stay in pilgrim accommodation so this is where you meet up with other pilgrims. The marking between 2016 and 2017 was remarkably improved, but many of the shorter alternative routes have been removed.

Hi
3 of us did the route via Radicofani last year. I can't come on the alternatives but Radicofani is a lovely town you will never forget. it dominates the countryside from it's prominant hillside location and you see it for nearly a week afterwards. Also has welcome extra water sources on the way up
Mick

Hi
3 of us did the route via Radicofani last year. I can't come on the alternatives but Radicofani is a lovely town you will never forget. it dominates the countryside from it's prominant hillside location and you see it for nearly a week afterwards. Also has welcome extra water sources on the way up
Mick
Thanks for the info! Sounds promising.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We stayed at Bagno San Fillopo on the way to Radicofani - about 3 kms off the VG route and about 8 kms before Radicofani. It was a great detour and the hot thermal pools were great. On the 2 occasions I walked the Proceno route I did not see another pilgrim. However, when we stopped at the bar at Ponte a Rigo we met up with a few walkers who were all going the Centeno route. So, the trail definitely does not get crowded. I think I met more in September last year than in June the previous year. However, we did not stay in pilgrim accommodation so this is where you meet up with other pilgrims. The marking between 2016 and 2017 was remarkably improved, but many of the shorter alternative routes have been removed.
You've been a great help. Thanks!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back