• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Informational Package for PTSD camino

D

DavidsRetired

As some may (or may not) be aware, I have created an initiative to help soldiers who are dealing with Operational Stress Injuries (PTSD), to walk the Camino in 2017. I have currently raised over 11k and have a commitment from an agency for equipment support of up to $1,000 per person. So overall I am well on my way to making this a reality.

In January, I’ll be uploading an application form to my Facebook page, looking for participants.

In addition, I felt it may be beneficial to draft an “Informational Package”, which may aid potential candidates. I’m not looking for a comprehensive package, but an overview with some helpful hints and such.

To this end, I was wondering if anyone is interested in reviewing the attached draft, and providing critical feedback.

Thanks in advance for any help offered.

Cheers,
Dave

Attachments

• Royal Camino Information Package v1.02.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 95
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi, David,
This is quite an initiative, you deserve a lot of kudos! I can't read the attachment today, but will for sure take a look tomorrow.

Having just worked to reorganize the resources section, I can also point out that you have posted more information on the effort there. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/an-operational-stress-injury-initiative.381/

Wishing you a very successful take-off for this project. I have been reading a lot about veterans' issues recently because my university recently opened a Center for Wounded Veterans, http://woundedvetcenter.ahs.illinois.edu. I think that many educators have recognized that there are so many re-integration issues that are complicated enormously by the physical disabilities that veterans must learn to deal with, in addition to all of the psychological traumas.

Though I have never been in combat, and I certainly don't presume to know anything about healing from PTSD, my instincts tell me that a month on the Camino could be a very important step towards healing. Wishing you much success, Laurie

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
As some may (or may not) be aware, I have created an initiative to help soldiers who are dealing with Operational Stress Injuries (PTSD), to walk the Camino in 2017. I have currently raised over 11k and have a commitment from an agency for equipment support of up to $1,000 per person. So overall I am well on my way to making this a reality.

In January, I’ll be uploading an application form to my Facebook page, looking for participants.

In addition, I felt it may be beneficial to draft an “Informational Package”, which may aid potential candidates. I’m not looking for a comprehensive package, but an overview with some helpful hints and such.

To this end, I was wondering if anyone is interested in reviewing the attached draft, and providing critical feedback.

Cheers,
Dave

Dave:

This is quite an initiative. I hope you are successful in your endeavor and can attract a number of participants. I believe walking a Camino can change anyone. I do not participate in Facebook but will follow what you are doing through this forum.

I briefly looked through your informational package and it appears to be pretty comprehensive to me. I will read through it more thoroughly later and possibly provide some feedback.

Is there a website for your project?

Ultreya,
Joe

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Joe,

Thanks for your comments and support. I purposely left the Facebook page open to the public, so no FB acct should be required to view it. The link should be on my profile. The only other site I have, is the GoFundMe site. Just search for Royal Camino. I don’t wish to add the links here, as I worry it would suggest that I’m looking for donations, which is not allowed.

In regards to the Information package, any and all feedback is welcome. I realise there are no doubt several spelling errors, which I’ll correct as I move through the draft stage. Additionally, many will disagree with Backpack, Boots/Shoes, and any of a multitude of other issues, but I’ve tried to keep it open and suggest choices. Again, I just wanted to provide a brief overview, and wish to encourage the potential participants to do their own research and equipment testing.

Again, thanks for your comments.

Looks good. My only comment/question - as its in PDFs format, I wasn't able to use the links or even copy them when viewing from an iPad. I tried from both my Kindle and Polaris Office apps. Not sure if it would work from another device.

What a great project you are undertaking! Canadian vets only?

Last edited:
I am being a little facetious here but on the packing list I think that, as most of the participants will be male, the two sports bras that you have listed should be designated as "optional"

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Dave, excellent document and lists, I would add lightweight rain pants to the list. I would also not encourage sticking rigidly to the Brierly stages.
BTW The Valcarlos route is actualy the traditional (original) route, the Napoleon came later and can be described as the more popular route.
I wish you all the best in this initative.

Looks good. My only comment/question - as its in PDFs format, I wasn't able to use the links or even copy them when viewing from an iPad. I tried from both my Kindle and Polaris Office apps. Not sure if it would work from another device.

What a great project you are undertaking! Canadian vets only?

Hi LisaAnn,

That’s interesting about the links in PDF format, as I tested them on my PC and they all seemed to work, except the Boot Lacing link, which has since been corrected. However, I will test that on different platforms/devices and sort that out.

Yes, Canadian Vets only, and more specifically my old regiment first, then others within the Cdn Forces as positions become available.

In essence, this is a beta test project. I’m trying to fund the entire project and work with other agencies who can help support this initiative. The application process will also contain a Pre-Camino questionnaire and a Post-Camino one as well. These questionnaires are currently being drafted by a psychologist and will be used to determine the value of the project. My hope is that I’ll be able to present an After-Camino Report, which I can demonstrate a positive, and hopefully garner support and funding at a higher level.

As it stands, my old regiment is in support and willing to provide 5 serving members to participate and I’m looking for 5 (or more – pending funding) non-serving member’s; i.e. retired, medically released etc…

The info package is to be a general overview and guide, not a comprehensive one. I wish to encourage all participants to do their own research and therefore, find some personal investment in this project.

Thanks for having a look and for your feedback.

Take care.

Cheers,
Dave

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I am being a little facetious here but on the packing list I think that, as most of the participants will be male, the two sports bras that you have listed should be designated as "optional"

Gareth, I am hoping for both male and female participants. The packing list is a guide only, and I will be encouraging the participants do draft their own list. I think it’s a valuable part of the Camino process and helps get one engaged and personally invested in.

@DavidsRetired, it looks pretty good. I have inserted some comments into the document that might help in improving it in minor ways.

Doug, that’s wonderful and greatly appreciated. Thank you!

I find it important to have others review it, as this was drafted quickly, and when reading it over and over, I tend to become blind and miss not only grammatical errors but key and necessary information as well.

Again, thanks for your time and help.

Cheers,
Dave

Hi Dave, excellent document and lists, I would add lightweight rain pants to the list. I would also not encourage sticking rigidly to the Brierly stages.
BTW The Valcarlos route is actualy the traditional (original) route, the Napoleon came later and can be described as the more popular route.
I wish you all the best in this initative.

Wayfarer, Thank you for the comments and suggestions. In regards to the Brierly stages, I’ve incorporated them in as a guide only, but have recommended that participants start and stop as they see fit.

Additionally, I had planned to walk with the soldiers, but on my recent Camino (Sep/Oct 2015) I noticed a few groups, which solely relied on the leader to guide them through the daily stages. With this in mind, I will be strongly encouraging the participants to walk as individuals, vice locking into a group. I’ll get them to SJPdP and send them on their merry ways, then follow-up from behind. I may also consider leap frogging ahead from Belorado into Burgos; this will allow me to address any issues or injuries quickly as they arrive. This is not a normal Camino for me, and I am unsure as to the mental and physical state of the individuals; some may be amputees, so I need to be diligent on my role, but free enough to allow them a wonderful experience.

Again, thanks for the comments.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
That’s interesting about the links in PDF format, as I tested them on my PC and they all seemed to work, except the Boot Lacing link, which has since been corrected. However, I will test that on different platforms/devices and sort that out.

It works perfectly on my desktop... I also tried the bootlace youtube link and it worked, but went through Facebook stating:

Something Went Wrong
Sorry, there was a problem with this link:
You can now continue to this website, or go back to the page you were on before.
Remember, only follow links from sources you trust.

You then have a choice to Go Back or Follow the Link. If you follow it, you get to the boot lacing video.

Best of luck with this - again, great project and idea!

Cheers,
Dave

This is a very interesting initiative David, I hope that everything goes well for you.

Some ex-service men and women have posted about their Camino experiences in this forum and I recall reading a few posts that specifically mentioned trauma and PTSD. Hopefully those people will see this thread and contact you directly. I'm sure that their experiences and perspectives will be very valuable.

Good luck.

Nuala

David

I have not been able to access on my IPhone so maybe you have addressed walking alone.

I wish you well on your attempt to organize. As an individual the Camino is a great place for healing. As a veteran walking with other Vets still positive. The clear communication of it is their option to walk alone will have to be made, as we each have various issues concerning PTSD, not to mention how deep the degree.
Keith

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
David

I have not been able to access on my IPhone so maybe you have addressed walking alone.

I wish you well on your attempt to organize. As an individual the Camino is a great place for healing. As a veteran walking with other Vets still positive. The clear communication of it is their option to walk alone will have to be made, as we each have various issues concerning PTSD, not to mention how deep the degree.
Keith

Hi Keith,

The original concept was to walk as a group; however, it is now an individual journey. Certainly, some will walk together, which is fine, but I will encourage that each person walks as an individual throughout the day and at their own comfort level. They can get together in the evenings, for meals and a drink and some shared comradery, if stopping at the same stage.

What a great initiative Dave. Well done. Your guide looks great. My only thoughts are these for what they are worth.....

In a 'previous life'.....decades ago I was a soldier for 20 years. And whilst you mention briefly in your guide this is not a Military Rucksack March, old habits die hard ;) And soldiers are by nature and training highly competitive beings :) It never really leaves you...

I suspect their greatest challenges will not be the physical or mental aspects of walking the Camino but the emotional. Slowing down, taking it all in, not rushing, enjoying the 'journey' rather than focussing on the destination...

Maybe it's worth adding a section to the guide on that? 'Getting the most out of your journey' type of thing....

Hi Keith,

The original concept was to walk as a group; however, it is now an individual journey. Certainly, some will walk together, which is fine, but I will encourage that each person walks as an individual throughout the day and at their own comfort level. They can get together in the evenings, for meals and a drink and some shared comradery, if stopping at the same stage.
Yes I honestly can't think of a better thing to do after a few months or years away from the fight. As some will need the support of their brothers more than others. I think you are keeping it realistic by trying to stay within your regiment. It will be interesting to find out how many will go, as independent minds we become.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi, David,

Though I have never been in combat, and I certainly don't presume to know anything about healing from PTSD, my instincts tell me that a month on the Camino could be a very important step towards healing. Wishing you much success, Laurie

Your instincts are correct Laurie. As a veteran I have got a lot out of walking two Camino's. I can recommend walking them, good for your health and your mind.

What a great initiative Dave. Well done. Your guide looks great. My only thoughts are these for what they are worth.....

In a 'previous life'.....decades ago I was a soldier for 20 years. And whilst you mention briefly in your guide this is not a Military Rucksack March, old habits die hard ;) And soldiers are by nature and training highly competitive beings :) It never really leaves you...

I suspect their greatest challenges will not be the physical or mental aspects of walking the Camino but the emotional. Slowing down, taking it all in, not rushing, enjoying the 'journey' rather than focussing on the destination...

Maybe it's worth adding a section to the guide on that? 'Getting the most out of your journey' type of thing....

Hi Robo,

I appreciate your comments and your suggestion is well taken. During the redraft, I’ll incorporate that into the info pkg and will reiterate that point during my pre-briefing.

As a note, I served for 25-years and retired from the military in 2001. I recently completed my 3rd Camino, and can personally attest to it’s value. It has, and continues to help me, which prompted me to try to help others. It will all come down to funding, but the initiative is at least out of the gate, so I am hopeful.

Take care,

Dave

Hi Dave. Your doing a good work and the manual is great. I would like to follow your journey with this project. I am endorsed by ACA to teach adaptive paddlesports, and our first group this summer will be PTSD veterans. We are still working out the contract with Wounded Warriors and Prince William County Parks and Recreation, where I work. Let me know if there is any way I can help.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Dave. Your doing a good work and the manual is great. I would like to follow your journey with this project. I am endorsed by ACA to teach adaptive paddlesports, and our first group this summer will be PTSD veterans. We are still working out the contract with Wounded Warriors and Prince William County Parks and Recreation, where I work. Let me know if there is any way I can help.

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the support and success with your endeavours as well.

You can stay updated on our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/RoyalCamino/

Bear in mind, this is all a learning curve for me, but I am making headway. It all comes down to funding, so I am continually reaching out to organisations for support in all manners of this initiative.

The goal being to prove this initiative has true value. To this end, I’ll draft an after-action report, and present it to Veterans Affairs and/or other agencies who can support or adopt this project and offer it on a regular basis.

I just opened this initiative for applications, but don’t expect much, with Christmas. However, will push it out again for wider dissemination in the New Year. Fingers crossed, we’ll see some applicants.

Again, thanks for your interest.

Cheers,
Dave

Cheers,
Dave
You might want to contact Rev Robert Blessing, an army combat chaplain from San Diego suffering from the same problem but trying to help veterans also with PTSD The last contact I had for him was St Andrews Episcopalian church in La Mesa, San Diego. He is currently planning a local camino in the San Diego area in the hope that it will help his men just as the camino de Santiago helped him. I walked with him from Mercadoiro just before PortomarĂ­n to Santiago. I thanked him for helping me along the way with his kindness and good company but he said it was the other way round, I helped him by slowing him down and keeping him calm when things got on top of him. As you are both working on the same problem, there may be some benefit in working together. He has written a paper on the problem for the diocese so can also be contacted through the dioscesan office. I believe he would be more than happy to read your document and you would get more from him than we on the forum who would not really understand the problem unless we had it ourselves. If you do contact him tell him Terry gave you his details. Best of luck with your project. Another thought, he has a facebook and Google + account so you might contact him through that

Well thought-out @DavidsRetired but I echo @Robo 's caution about the competative nature of old soldiers - we have a good friend in this category. I'd throw out the Brierley recommended stages completely; suggesting it as a guide only will be taken as a challenge! How about suggesting stopping as soon as possible after 15 km the first week, then, as comfortable, after 20km?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
You might want to contact Rev Robert Blessing, an army combat chaplain from San Diego suffering from the same problem but trying to help veterans also with PTSD .....

Terry, I’d be very much interested in connecting with this gentleman. I’ve just sent you a private message.

Thank you, for thinking of us.

Cheers,
Dave

Well thought-out @DavidsRetired but I echo @Robo 's caution about the competative nature of old soldiers - we have a good friend in this category. I'd throw out the Brierley recommended stages completely; suggesting it as a guide only will be taken as a challenge! How about suggesting stopping as soon as possible after 15 km the first week, then, as comfortable, after 20km?

Hi Kanga,

I placed the Brierley stages and profiles in, as a visual guide to demonstrate that 800km can easily be achieved by manageable stages, and to show the terrain they’ll (the soldiers) be travelling over.

Additionally, as a means to garner the soldiers interest in the project, I’m asking that as part of their application process, they submit a stage plan themselves. Not that they have to walk those stages, but as a planning tool and as a form of building a personal investment in walking the Camino.

Essentially, I’m trying to encourage them on several levels, and that they will see the multitude of options they have. This is important, as we need to see what condition, both mentally and physically the participants are in. Further to this, I’ll be providing personal briefings, to go over such issues in detail.

Thanks for the suggestion and support.

Hope you have a wonderful New Years.

Cheers,
Dave

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back