• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ingenious (to me) water bottle solution : )

CaminoKatie

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2022
Not being a fan of water bladders, nor of having to reach around to pull my water bottle out of my pack's side pocket, I came up with this idea instead. (Please note that you can buy something like this on Amazon for $25, except that folks complain it doesn't always fit the lids of their water bottles.) I bought a 36" water bladder replacement drinking tube on Amazon... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07M6MSTYM/?tag=casaivar02-20 ...cut off the end that attaches to the water bladder, carefully drilled a 3/8" hole in the lid of a Smartwater bottle (I smashed the first one... oops!), then inserted the tube through the hole and into the bottle. Voila... no more wrestling with my water bottle! My plan is to have a 2nd Smartwater bottle in my other side pocket, and once the first bottle is empty, switch out the lids and continue on my merry, well hydrated way. Buen Camino!CaminoWaterFix3.19.22.jpg

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Not being a fan of water bladders, nor of having to reach around to pull my water bottle out of my pack's side pocket, I came up with this idea instead. (Please note that you can buy something like this on Amazon for $25, except that folks complain it doesn't always fit the lids of their water bottles.) I bought a 36" water bladder replacement drinking tube on Amazon... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07M6MSTYM/?tag=casaivar02-20 ...cut off the end that attaches to the water bladder, carefully drilled a 3/8" hole in the lid of a Smartwater bottle (I smashed the first one... oops!), then inserted the tube through the hole and into the bottle. Voila... no more wrestling with my water bottle! My plan is to have a 2nd Smartwater bottle in my other side pocket, and once the first bottle is empty, switch out the lids and continue on my merry, well hydrated way. Buen Camino!View attachment 122038
great idea!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I did something similar, but just used a combo of a rigid tube into the bottle inserted into a flexible tube that went from the bottle to the top front of the pack where I could drink from it. No nipple to bite on (which sometimes led to water dribbling down my chest when I let go of the tube). I kept the tube in the bottle using a could of O rings on the tube inside the bottle (something you might want to consider).

I, too, used two bottles. One recommendation - put the tube in the bottle away from the sun :) and when you empty the bottle, move the bottles. The first time I sucked on a hot mouthful of water was a steep learning curve.

What a great idea! My water bottle has one of those pull ups to drink through and I can cut the mechanism out. Then I have a ready made hole. Will also look at the O ring tip or something equal. SO today's goal - head out to the Sports store and buy one of those replacement drinking tubes. You guys are awesome!!!

I did the same thing in 2019. I used locally sourced hydration tablets which unfortunately contained sugar. As a result the tube started to grow mold inside. I was not able to find Clorox or something similar to sterilize it and clean it out. So be careful about that. I just received Z-Pak aqua clip but have yet to try it out looks promising. I got it on Amazon. Happy hydrating. Buen Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'll stick to my wide mouth bladder with its quick link that makes it easy to remove from pack when filling is required. Doesn't need cleaning while on camino if carrying pure water but if it did, the wide mouth makes that easy. Bottles with skinny mouths - not so easy. Choices for all. :)

Much easier to refill than a bladder. Though newer packs now make the bladder accessible without digging into the pack.

I disagree. I can refill my reservoir without even removing my backpack. One does not need to pull a reservoir out of the pack. You do not even need to take off a backpack. It is a simple matter of using a quick disconnect system which is an easy and cheap add on accessory.

For those interested in adding a quick disconnect adapter to your hydration reservoir/bladder, I've added a link below. With the quick disconnect added, I don't even need to remove my pack to do a quick and easy refill of the bladder.

The video shows the quick disconnect being used with a water filter as it might be used for wilderness backpacking. It is the way I have it set up when I am backpacking. However, on camino I leave off the filter altogether. Instead of the filter being added to the refill cap on the flexible water bottle, skip the filter and screw the refill adapter cap -- sans filter -- to the bottle after it is filled with water.

For refill bottles.... I use extremely lightweight collapsible bottles that can hold up to 2 liters. Empty, they roll down to a small bundle that are easily stashed in an outside pocket.

Many times, I will carry 1/2 liter in the bottle as a quick backup if the weather or the distance between water refills dictates. So if I decide to, say, carry 1.5 liters on a longer stretch between water resupply points, I will fill the reservoir with 1 liter, and then carry 1/2 liter in the bottle and keeping the bottle partially collapsed. That also assures me that I do not need to visualize the amount in the reservoir to be assured of adequate water.

The refill container in the video is just one option. The refill adapter can also fit on a variety of bottled water containers, if so desired.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
While that is an ingenious system, I will maintain that filling a bottle from the faucet and putting it pack in your side pouch IS easier than filling a squeeze pouch, disconnecting your bite me, then connecting to your draw tube, pushing the water into your pouch, reconnecting your bite me, then stashing your squeeze pouch.
My simple system is put enough water in your bladder to last the day, then refill at the albergue. But then you are starting the day with much additional weight. It does get lighter as the day goes, making you think you are getting stronger!

I did the same thing in 2019. I used locally sourced hydration tablets which unfortunately contained sugar. As a result the tube started to grow mold inside. I was not able to find Clorox or something similar to sterilize it and clean it out. So be careful about that. I just received Z-Pak aqua clip but have yet to try it out looks promising. I got it on Amazon. Happy hydrating. Buen Camino
Use denture cleaner to clean tubing / set up.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Not being a fan of water bladders, nor of having to reach around to pull my water bottle out of my pack's side pocket, I came up with this idea instead. (Please note that you can buy something like this on Amazon for $25, except that folks complain it doesn't always fit the lids of their water bottles.) I bought a 36" water bladder replacement drinking tube on Amazon... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07M6MSTYM/?tag=casaivar02-20 ...cut off the end that attaches to the water bladder, carefully drilled a 3/8" hole in the lid of a Smartwater bottle (I smashed the first one... oops!), then inserted the tube through the hole and into the bottle. Voila... no more wrestling with my water bottle! My plan is to have a 2nd Smartwater bottle in my other side pocket, and once the first bottle is empty, switch out the lids and continue on my merry, well hydrated way. Buen Camino!View attachment 122038
I found something similar on Amazon, can't stand taking my pack everytime I want a drink.

While that is an ingenious system, I will maintain that filling a bottle from the faucet and putting it pack in your side pouch IS easier than filling a squeeze pouch, disconnecting your bite me, then connecting to your draw tube, pushing the water into your pouch, reconnecting your bite me, then stashing your squeeze pouch.
My simple system is put enough water in your bladder to last the day, then refill at the albergue. But then you are starting the day with much additional weight. It does get lighter as the day goes, making you think you are getting stronger!

It takes me about 45 seconds to do a quick refill. But I have also filled my reservoir, too, as the occasion calls for it. It just gives options without a lot of manipulation of the reservoir in and out of the backpack, which is what a lot of folks think must be done in order to use a hydration bladder/reservoir.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I disagree. I can refill my reservoir without even removing my backpack. One does not need to pull a reservoir out of the pack. You do not even need to take off a backpack. It is a simple matter of using a quick disconnect system which is an easy and cheap add on accessory.

For those interested in adding a quick disconnect adapter to your hydration reservoir/bladder, I've added a link below. With the quick disconnect added, I don't even need to remove my pack to do a quick and easy refill of the bladder.

The video shows the quick disconnect being used with a water filter as it might be used for wilderness backpacking. It is the way I have it set up when I am backpacking. However, on camino I leave off the filter altogether. Instead of the filter being added to the refill cap on the flexible water bottle, skip the filter and screw the refill adapter cap -- sans filter -- to the bottle after it is filled with water.

For refill bottles.... I use extremely lightweight collapsible bottles that can hold up to 2 liters. Empty, they roll down to a small bundle that are easily stashed in an outside pocket.

Many times, I will carry 1/2 liter in the bottle as a quick backup if the weather or the distance between water refills dictates. So if I decide to, say, carry 1.5 liters on a longer stretch between water resupply points, I will fill the reservoir with 1 liter, and then carry 1/2 liter in the bottle and keeping the bottle partially collapsed. That also assures me that I do not need to visualize the amount in the reservoir to be assured of adequate water.

The refill container in the video is just one option. The refill adapter can also fit on a variety of bottled water containers, if so desired.
I will be getting that! Thank you.

I buy this - same thing but it is made for water bottles. Has 2 size screw on caps - but work best with 1L water bottles such as the brand "smart water" (in the US)

But yes - these are a great compromise! The bladders leak and are hard(er) to refill. I can just buy a smart water bottle at the airport for my flight and have it when I get started. I rinse and re-use for as long as I want, then just buy a new 1L bottle of water. Only word of caution - keep both screw caps in case you can't find a new water bottle with the same size screw top. Anyhow - super fast, super easy, and I drink more water using it compared to having to pull my water bottle our of my pack.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I use a water bottle holster that attaches with velcro to my pack's waistbelt. Surprisingly it doesn't move/bounce around much at all. Whatever system of water carry one chooses, it certainly is nice to not have to take the pack off in order to take a drink.

1649272577723.png

I think this is a clever alternative to bladders, inexpensive, totally gets the job done.

HOWEVER

Please consider why I won’t be using it.

I discovered that stopping to get my water bottle out from the pockets of my backpack forced me to also take a quick break from walking, I could easily have kept on walking and sucking down water at the same time (my backpack provides for a water bladder), but, looking back on it, those mini-rest stops were more valuable than I realized - I may not have stopped for short breaks otherwise.

The time “lost” was minuscule, the energy gained was incalculable. It also gave me a “time out” to stop and smell the roses, to look around, appreciate the grand adventure I had chosen for myself.

Yes, I can figure out ways to drink and walk at the same time, but why would I want to?

Like I said, I do think the device is clever. Buen Camino.!

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The bladders leak and are hard(er) to refill. I can just buy a smart water bottle at the airport for my flight and have it when I get started.

I think that is far too big a generalization about water reservoir failures. I've seen more people who have had a bottle leak due to not properly fastening a lid than I have a reservoir leak. In both situations, as long as a person is not trying to cheap out with sub quality products which can lead to bottles or bladder material failing, it is user error with improper closures.

As for being harder to fill, I can fill mine in under 40 seconds without removing my backpack. Admittedly it takes a simple to install, inexpensive adapter, but the modification works well and can also be used with a water filter, which I use when backpacking.

The issue of preferences in how a bottle or reservoir is used is one that cannot be disputed. It is a matter of personal taste. But in terms of the facts, there is no outstanding difference in the primary function of either a bottle or a reservoir - which is to carry a supply of drinking water - which makes one 'better'.

Last edited:
Walking in 95 degrees (f) for me would probably indicate a taxi ride… I mean it’s just nicer not to die.
Where I live it's been between 37 - 39 Celsius for the last few weeks with no change in site. I can't wait to get to Spain where it will be much cooler.

Last edited:
I have looked at the bladder systems that my friends use but choose bottles instead. I can add ice to them; put water & bottle in the freezer the night before; or add an Ener C packet if I want. A bladder system would limit me too much.

I have looked at the bladder systems that my friends use but choose bottles instead. I can add ice to them; put water & bottle in the freezer the night before; or add an Ener C packet if I want. A bladder system would limit me too much.

Why can't you add ice or freeze a water reservoir? I agree that if you do not rinse a water reservoir on a daily basis you do not want to add anything with a sugar. But I always carry a separate collapsible bottle for such things.

Why can't you add ice or freeze a water reservoir? I agree that if you do not rinse a water reservoir on a daily basis you do not want to add anything with a sugar. But I always carry a separate collapsible bottle for such things.
The ones I saw did not have an opening large enough for ice cubes to go in. Maybe there are different sizes?

Re the drink powder. I don't usually start out the day with it in my water. I live in a hot climate and many times, at some point I feel like I need something more in my water (sometimes just for taste, other times for energy), that's when I dump a little into my bottle and give it a shake. I can see that being an easy thing to do with a bladder.

The ones I saw did not have an opening large enough for ice cubes to go in. Maybe there are different sizes?

Re the drink powder. I don't usually start out the day with it in my water. I live in a hot climate and many times, at some point I feel like I need something more in my water (sometimes just for taste, other times for energy), that's when I dump a little into my bottle and give it a shake. I can see that being an easy thing to do with a bladder.
There are a number of bladders that have wide openings. Examples being Osprey and Platypus brand.

To freeze, do not fill to the tippy top, then purge out all the air (with the lid open, squeeze the reservoir until air is expelled, and water is at the opening then fasten lid, then release reservoir). Lay the reservoir on its side in the freezer.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
But as I found out when walking in 35 C weather that bottles on the outside make your water very hot! Obviously not a problem in cooler weather.
Drink the water in the left hand side (nearest the sun) first. When that one is empty switch the full one over and put the refilled bottle on the right.

Is the Blue Desert Smartube still in production? They have (had) swappable caps for up to IIRC 67mm diameter bottle necks including Gatorade bottle and NATO military flasks.

I take a different approach to rehydration mixes, partly because I use a water bladder, and don't want anything but water in that. I carry a small (500-600ml) plastic bottle with me. This serves three purposes:
  • If I consume all the water in my bladder, I still have a reasonable reserve to get to the next available potable water.
  • I use it to refill the bladder. I have tried quick disconnect arrangements, but I find it just as easy to use a bottle, leave the bladder in my pack, open it up and refill it using the bottle. It might take several refills of the bottle, but it works.
  • Once I have refilled the bladder, I will then use the bottle for a hydration mix. Normally I will consume that on the spot, rinse out the bottle and refill it so that this cycle can be repeated.
I have tried getting all 'cutesy' about only partially filling my bladder to account for the water that I have in the bottle. It is certainly an option if you know exactly how much you will consume, or you are confident about when you will next be able to find potable water. For most of my walking at home, this just isn't the case, and I would rather have both bottle and bladder full at the start of a walk. I suspect I will take a similar view when I am walking the CP later this year.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
So bladders are buried in your pack. Bottles are on the outside… makes knowing contents and refills more convenient.
True. I found this was an issue, but there are also simple solutions if you prefer to use a bladder. I now carry a 500ml or so bottle in the top of my pack. See my earlier post about how I use that to resolve this issue.

I get an empty baked beans can, take the label off and put it in the mesh side pocket of my pack where you would normally put your drink bottle. My 500ml water bottle fits loosely in there. The silver tin reflects the heat to some degree and the gap between the tin and the bottle allows air circulation which also helps keep the water cooler. When I want a drink, it is simple to just reach around and lift the bottle out, as it is just sitting loose in the can. It is also easy to replace for the same reason. It may not be the perfect solution but it has worked for me for many years. It is very simple and it costs nothing.

I get an empty baked beans can, take the label off and put it in the mesh side pocket of my pack where you would normally put your drink bottle. My 500ml water bottle fits loosely in there. The silver tin reflects the heat to some degree and the gap between the tin and the bottle allows air circulation which also helps keep the water cooler. When I want a drink, it is simple to just reach around and lift the bottle out, as it is just sitting loose in the can. It is also easy to replace for the same reason. It may not be the perfect solution but it has worked for me for many years. It is very simple and it costs nothing.
That made me remember an Australian pilgrim back in 2012 - her pack had a mesh pocket on either side and she'd put her two water bottles, each inside a wet sock, in them. Every time she got to a fuente she'd re-wet the socks.
It's funny how things you hadn't thought of in years suddenly spring to mind.

I think that is far too big a generalization about water reservoir failures. I've seen more people who have had a bottle leak due to not properly fastening a lid than I have a reservoir leak. In both situations, as long as a person is not trying to cheap out with sub quality products which can lead to bottles or bladder material failing, it is user error with improper closures.

As for being harder to fill, I can fill mine in under 40 seconds without removing my backpack. Admittedly it takes a simple to install, inexpensive adapter, but the modification works well and can also be used with a water filter, which I use when backpacking.

The issue of preferences in how a bottle or reservoir is used is one that cannot be disputed. It is a matter of personal taste. But in terms of the facts, there is no outstanding difference in the primary function of either a bottle or a reservoir - which is to carry a supply of drinking water - which makes one 'better'.

They guy I replied to asked what the advantage was to add a hose to the bottle instead of using a bladder. I replied with why I found it to be an advantage. Many people have had quality bladders leak (I never buy cheap sub quality bladders, thank you very much), and many people find digging in their pack for the water bladder to refill it and get it back into the backpack to be time consuming and to be a pain in the butt. So with that, many people prefer easier access and quicker refill of bottles, For us, adding a hose to a bottle quicker and easier than dealing with a bladder. But you are correct - it is personal preference. So why do you feel the need to tell EVERYONE who says they find it quicker and easier to use a bottle on the Camino that they can do it your way and add your attachment? Is our water bottle with hose somehow negatively affecting your Camino? I still hike with a bladder on other backcountry hikes - but on the Camino, I don't need a big 2-4L bladder(which for me would be the advantage of a bladder over a bottle). A 1L water bottle will suffice most days (will get a 2nd bottle for the days that require more), and I can stop and refill it all throughout the day if needed, without pulling it out of my pack. And I am not interested in finding ways to make it easier to refill a bladder while it is still in my pack - because it is easier for me to just buy a hose that attaches to the bottle. Another advantage is - bladders and water bottles get gross after a while. With a 1L water bottle - when it starts to get gross I recycle it and buy a new 1L bottle of water. Quick, easy, and it costs way less than replacing my reservoir.

Another advantage is - I can see how much water I have left the moment I take my pack off - or can pull my bottle out of my bag as I walk to see how much water I have left - and put it back in it's pocket as I walk if I find I don't need to stop for water refills.

Anyhow - I did appreciate you sharing your experience and work around for making the bladder easier to refill - and perhaps I will try it for a backcountry hike where I actually need/want a reservoir. But for the Camino I am going to stick to my 1L water bottle with a hose attached.

BTW - I did find that most of my leaks had nothing to do with user error. It did have to do with the stupid hose getting loose at the point where it attaches to the bladder. I ended up buying plumbers tape and now I put plumbers tape around the area of the hose that screws into the bladder. Leaks are much less of an issue if I do that. Now that part of the hose is less likely to get loose during a hike. I still prefer water bottles to prevent leaks though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey I just thought of something that “may” be an issue. I think most water bottles in Europe use a different cap size than those in the USA. So your custom cap may not fit a new bottle purchased there if you need to. Obviously if you plan on not replacing the bottle(s) ever, this not a big deal. If you need to disinfect your bottle(s) rather than replace you can buy denture cleaner in the supermercados i think.

Shoot! I thought of something else. You may want a little “vacuum release” hole on the cap as well. Like 1/16”. Otherwise, as you suck, your bottle just crumples and it becomes increasingly hard to suck water. Ask me how I know this! :)

Is the Blue Desert Smartube still in production? They have (had) swappable caps for up to IIRC 67mm diameter bottle necks including Gatorade bottle and NATO military flasks.
I don’t think so. I mean the design is so easily replicated on the cheap. But, I still have my OG bottle top adapters from BD…

So with that, many people prefer easier access and quicker refill of bottles, For us, adding a hose to a bottle quicker and easier than dealing with a bladder. But you are correct - it is personal preference. So why do you feel the need to tell EVERYONE who says they find it quicker and easier to use a bottle on the Camino that they can do it your way and add your attachment? Is our water bottle with hose somehow negatively affecting your Camino?

I do not understand the personal shots. Do it MY way? Why do I feel the need? Affecting MY camino? My attachment?

First: These attachments are not my products, nor do I earn any money from anyone deciding to take advantage of adapting their reservoirs to make them easy to use.

I provide the information I do, not to bother you, but to inform those who may have no idea that a method exists to make it quick and easy to use a bladder/reservoir if they choose. This is a frequent topic from newbies and when someone states that it is more difficult to use a reservoir, it is often based on the fact that many do not know that such an adaptation exists.

The issue of leaking reservoirs is overblown. User error is frequently a cause of leaks as is subpar materials in less expensive bladders. The military has been using them for a couple of decades now, so have backpackers, as you know. I have gear tested many for QA from various manufacturers putting them thru hard use and torture testing them with 'could happen' situations.

I do not dispute your personal experience. I do not rely on just my experience, either, but on the assessments of thousands of user hours from hundreds of product users. Reservoir hydro systems would not be exceedingly popular if there was a frequent issue of leaking. Osprey, Camelback, Platypus, and the few other major manufacturers would be cutting their own throats if this was a significant issue. The militaries of the world that use these systems would be severing contracts.

I know at all times what water I have available. Experienced users will keep a half liter of water in their collapsible refill bottle. The water in the reservoir is reduced by that half-liter, so no additional water is carried. So regardless if I plan to carry two liter or one liter in the bladder, the amount in the reservoir is reduced by that half-liter that is in the bottle. If the reservoir runs dry, voila, the bottle has that half liter that I can see.

For forum members who are personally bothersome with their posts, there is a function that you can use to block them so you do not need to view their posts.

Last edited:
I do not understand the personal shots. Do it MY way? Why do I feel the need? Affecting MY camino? My attachment?

First: These attachments are not my products, nor do I earn any money from anyone deciding to take advantage of adapting their reservoirs to make them easy to use.

I provide the information I do, not to bother you, but to inform those who may have no idea that a method exists to make it quick and easy to use a bladder/reservoir if they choose. This is a frequent topic from newbies and when someone states that it is more difficult to use a reservoir, it is often based on the fact that many do not know that such an adaptation exists.

The issue of leaking reservoirs is overblown. User error is frequently a cause of leaks as is subpar materials in less expensive bladders. The military has been using them for a couple of decades now, so have backpackers, as you know. I have gear tested many for QA from various manufacturers putting them thru hard use and torture testing them with 'could happen' situations.

I do not dispute your personal experience. I do not rely on just my experience, either, but on the assessments of thousands of user hours from hundreds of product users. Reservoir hydro systems would not be exceedingly popular if there was a frequent issue of leaking. Osprey, Camelback, Platypus, and the few other major manufacturers would be cutting their own throats if this was a significant issue. The militaries of the world that use these systems would be severing contracts.

I know at all times what water I have available. Experienced users will keep a half liter of water in their collapsible refill bottle. The water in the reservoir is reduced by that half-liter, so no additional water is carried. So regardless if I plan to carry two liter or one liter in the bladder, the amount in the reservoir is reduced by that half-liter that is in the bottle. If the reservoir runs dry, voila, the bottle has that half liter that I can see.

For forum members who are personally bothersome with their posts, there is a function that you can use to block them so you do not need to view their posts.
I rely on my personal experience and bladders suck IMO. Had a friend last year who got a “wet back” because he didn’t tighten the top right. Happens. Happened to me in the past too. Obviously they have their applications when on a long trek, like you need 2-4 liters of water. Don’t need it on CDS.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I rely on my personal experience and bladders suck IMO. Had a friend last year who got a “wet back” because he didn’t tighten the top right. Happens. Happened to me in the past too. Obviously they have their applications when on a long trek, like you need 2-4 liters of water. Don’t need it on CDS.
Maybe you don't need one, but I prefer to use a bladder. I must have gotten lucky the first time, because mine is pretty easy to fill and has never leaked. I use a Source Ultimate Hydration System.

Maybe you don't need one, but I prefer to use a bladder. I must have gotten lucky the first time, because mine is pretty easy to fill and has never leaked. I use a Source Ultimate Hydration System.
To each his own. I get really embarrassed when I offer advice but sometimes I can’t resist, usually when it’s something I actually know about. More than one way to skin a Camino.

To each his own. I get really embarrassed when I offer advice but sometimes I can’t resist, usually when it’s something I actually know about. More than one way to skin a Camino.
It's always valuable to read other's experiences, then decide for what's best for ourselves and our situations.😊

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have 11 euro soft plastic Camelback water bottle with same sort of drinking tube. Wouldnt walk with out it.

I'll stick to my wide mouth bladder with its quick link that makes it easy to remove from pack when filling is required. Doesn't need cleaning while on camino if carrying pure water but if it did, the wide mouth makes that easy. Bottles with skinny mouths - not so easy. Choices for all. :)
I carried a "Grayl". One day, refilled it three times from ditches with no ill effects. I believe Grayl has competitors.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Thank you, Dave Bugg! In April, 2018, I bought the following linked Sawyer Fast Fill Adapter quick disconnect kit in preparation for my Camino Portugues: https://tinyurl.com/3fv88yk2

I had intended to use it as shown in the video you linked, but ultimately, I chose not to use a filtration system because potable water from Porto to Santiago de Compostela was readily available. I did use the Osprey 3-liter reservoir, however, and it turned out to be everything positive that the bladder/reservoir aficionados say it is. Still, it was a bit of a hassle refilling it when my pack was full--and even when it was empty. Because of my modest spatial-mechanical reasoning abilities, if not for your post, it would not have occurred to me that the quick disconnect kit could be used exactly as you described—to fill the reservoir, sans filter, while wearing the pack.

I just modified my Osprey hydration hose to install the kit as you suggested. With the kit installed, I used a one-liter Sawyer collapsible bottle to add two liters to the reservoir while wearing the pack. You are absolutely correct about the ease and speed of doing this. Out of respect, of course, I did not beat your sub-40 second record, but I did handily add the two liters in under 90 seconds. (Respect aside, my excuse, of course, is that I lost several seconds having to fill the Sawyer bottle twice!)

Thank you, friend, for sharing your gifts. I plan to walk the more challenging Camino Frances in August and September. I will appreciate your kindness every time my teeth press against the bite valve and every time I stop for a refill!

Yah that’s what I’m talking about! SmartTube forever! Oh well.
Stumbling about on the Web I came across this site in Germany - they have Smartube bits and bobs at incredibly low prices such as the "Mickey Mouse" valve at €2.73 (I've seen these on sale for $11+) if you wanted to build your own system - the website for the original Smartube no longer works so I'm guessing they bit the dust.

SmarTube Valve

Probably not much use to anybody outside of Europe but I thought it might be of interest.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.