• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Inglés with baby buggy

cassieryle

Time of past OR future Camino
Fisterre (2017), Norte(2018), Ingles (2019)
Hi,
We are walking the ingles with our baby this September. Wondering if anyone could shed some light on how suitable the surfaces are for a buggy. We have an all-terrain model with pump up bicycle style tires.

We did the Norte last year and that definitely would’ve been tough with the buggy. Hoping the ingles will be more suitable.

Thanks to anyone who can advise on this or other baby-minded tips for this route.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I would offer that the surfaces on both routes are pretty much the same and probably there are less places to stop between villages on the Ingles.

How exciting - have a wonderful family Camino. We did the CI last Sept with that type of buggy/tyre, no problems. There was some points when we both pushed uphill but no terrain issues.

There was one night we took a taxi as we couldn’t get private accommodation on the way. And we did short days, so certainly you can get interim stops if you’re open to non-albergue nights. Happy to share our stages, accommodations, and answer other Qs if that’s useful to you.

El

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Most of the Ingles is either country tracks or tarmacked country roads. There are one or two parts where you walk along a single track at the edge of a field, especially on the stage to Betanzos. You may just need to pick up the buggy and baby for 100 metres or so. I would also avoid the 1 hour walk alongside the motorway on the way to Sigueiro, especially if your baby is sleeping at that hour, and because pushing the buggy on a grass embankment for an hour will be tough. Instead of turning right onto the grass verge when you go over the motorway bridge, carry on along the road, going straight over the next crossroads, and then simply following the road all the way to Sigueiro.

There are also two 20 minute tough climbs out of Pontedeume and Betanzos, both on tarmac. The way out of Pontedeume is especially steep to walk up, let alone push a buggy up. However, it is the start of the day, and there is a bench to rest halfway up

As @biarritzdon rightly says, restaurants, cafes, shops and water fountains are few and far between on the Ingles. You may only pass 1 or 2 per day on some stages, and may walk 2 hours or so between one and the next. You therefore need to take enough provisions and sustinence for you and the baby, or the walk will become very testing.

this is especially true on the 2 days between Betanzos and Sigueiro, where there are basically no shops. I am assuming you are staying in private accommodation. As @ElAines suggests, book up in advance, so as to be sure you have a room for the night

I have lots of photos on my website, for each days walk, if that helps you decide. Here is my site, Camino Ingles. There are many dirt lanes that I believe a buggy would be fine on. There are lots of paved roads as you will see and lots of hills to push up the buggy. There is one particular section on our day two that is short rough and very steep, but if you are are determined you can do it. The uphill on pavement will be strenuous but doable. Good luck and happy planning! Elle

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

So, I managed to lose my lovely Tilley hat. Left behind I think, in a shop in Cambre. Going back for it not an option as the place is closed today, Sunday. Am I destined to arrive in Santiago...
Beautiful walking weather on the Camino Ingles today
On one of the FB forums, someone asked about detouring to Fragas do Eume, just outside of Pontedeume, and it looks amazing. Since I'm splitting up Ferrol - Pontedeume into two days (taking the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.