• PLEASE NOTE: Please think twice before you travel to Spain now. More here.

Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Create your own ad
Have a camino related project that you are interested in promoting on the forum? Create your own ad right now.
2021 Camino Guides
Most all Camino authors have decided to use 2020 guides for 2021, with free PDF files with updates coming in the spring. Get yours today.

Ingles - boots or trainers?

nidarosa

Veteran Member
Year of past OR future Camino
Inglés 2009+2017, Francés 2012+2018, Astorga-Santiago repeatedly
Hi, just a quick question for those who have walked the Camino Ingles in late August/early September - boots or trainers? I have read here that it can get very hot at that time of year, and there are also some long etapas, so can I get away with walking in good trainers? My leather boots are heavier, but they are sturdier too ... and also if it rains, they take longer to dry.
Grateful for any advice, as I am starting my proper training now with footwear and backpack.

Cheers,
LM

Create your own ad
Have a camino related project that you are interested in promoting on the forum? Create your own ad right now.
Camino Masks
12 different designs, shipped world wide from Santiago.

JohnnieWalker

Nunca se camina solo
Hi - given that you are unlikely to encounter sustained inclement weather (we hope) in August/September and the fact that the terrain is never extremely rough I'd go for walking shoes...but as ever with footwear there will be differing opinions :)

nidarosa

Veteran Member
Year of past OR future Camino
Inglés 2009+2017, Francés 2012+2018, Astorga-Santiago repeatedly
Thanks, Johnnie - although I am now totally confused about whether my leather ones are boots or walking shoes. They're a sort of half and half, really ... But they're comfy, and if it's not going to be raining incessantly, they should do the job nicely. I hope you are right about the weather!

All the best,
LM

D

Deleted member 397

NEVER assume that because it's summer it will be dry. I've finally bought a pair of leather boots after having wet feet this year walking from Granada in May-june and last year from le puy in late june.

Camino Way Markers
Original Camino Way markers made in bronze. Two models, one from Castilla & Leon and the other from Galicia.
Silver Oxide Camino de Santiago pendent
Camino de Santiago pendent that has a shell on the front, and "Camino de Santiago" engraved on the back. Comes with a black cord. Pendent is slightly larger than a 50 euro cent coin, about 25mm.

JohnnieWalker

Nunca se camina solo
that is so true Omar - it is also the case that there are sections of the Camino Ingles which are shaded and lush and can hold the dew for a long time. There are also some little streams to ford but nothing that would present any difficulty what so ever. I was with a pilgrim in Santiago who walked the Via de la Plata in teva sandles and when it was wet - it was wet and they just kept going with no ill effects. It is all personal preference.

shelly111

Hi, I did the Camino Ingles in August two years ago and was persuaded to wear trekking sandals which I didn't regret at all. I wore short cotton socks with them and they were perfect, I didn't get any blisters at all. It was extremely hot that summer (it was the summer of the forest fires in Galicia) and the sandals were perfect. I took an extra pair of sandals in case of rain but we didn't get a drop that week.

Suzanne
Happy Camino :D

JohnnieWalker

Nunca se camina solo
Hi Suzanne

I recently met a pilgrim who walked the Via de la Plata with Teva sandals in sun and rain without any problems. I was very impressed. So much so I've been toying with the idea of trying walking sandals for the summer months. But I find the decision difficult to make - perhaps it is being Scottish where we are used to very inclement weather - in fact we call it Summer!

Javier Martin

Veteran Member
"...NEVER assume that because it's summer it will be dry..." (Omar)

Absolutely true.

In my 1,997 Camino was raining the 50% of days, on July.
In my 2,003 Camino (on June) began raining between La Faba and Laguna de Castilla, just before Cebreiro, and only stopped in Lavacolla. Always raining, excepto two hours in Portomarin.

Santiago is the spanish city with most raining days every year. Is said to be always raining or going to rain.

Buen Camino, sometimes wet, sometimes dry.

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

MermaidLilli

I was the pilgrim Johnnie refers to, with the Teva sandals. And yes, rain or shine. Usually with socks, only a few times without. No blisters, no black toenails.
On the way to Fisterra, I met and walked with an Italian woman who also had the same type, different color. She preferred them as well to her walking shoes. Since this topic comes up alot in our forum here, I remembered and took a picture of our feet.

Happy Feet,
Lillian

Attachments

• 2008Spain1126-1.jpg
    2008Spain1126-1.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 1,059
Camino Passport
Original passport made by the Cathedral in Santiago de Compostela. Shipped from Santiago all around the world with DHL.
2021 Camino Guides
Most all Camino authors have decided to use 2020 guides for 2021, with free PDF files with updates coming in the spring. Get yours today.

crackmrmac

Veteran Member
I walked from Burgos to Villadangos in early July in brand new sandals without socks.
Sandals were Ecco brand; (they're expensive even with 25% discount in sale)
Your feet will get dusty &dirty fairly quickly and from time to time you'll have to stop to remove or wiggle free a small pebble.

Buen Camino

Brian