• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ingles - boots or trainers?

nidarosa

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Enjoying the camino since 2009
Hi, just a quick question for those who have walked the Camino Ingles in late August/early September - boots or trainers? I have read here that it can get very hot at that time of year, and there are also some long etapas, so can I get away with walking in good trainers? My leather boots are heavier, but they are sturdier too ... and also if it rains, they take longer to dry.
Grateful for any advice, as I am starting my proper training now with footwear and backpack.

Cheers,
LM

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi - given that you are unlikely to encounter sustained inclement weather (we hope) in August/September and the fact that the terrain is never extremely rough I'd go for walking shoes...but as ever with footwear there will be differing opinions :)

Thanks, Johnnie - although I am now totally confused about whether my leather ones are boots or walking shoes. They're a sort of half and half, really ... But they're comfy, and if it's not going to be raining incessantly, they should do the job nicely. I hope you are right about the weather!

All the best,
LM

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
NEVER assume that because it's summer it will be dry. I've finally bought a pair of leather boots after having wet feet this year walking from Granada in May-june and last year from le puy in late june.

that is so true Omar - it is also the case that there are sections of the Camino Ingles which are shaded and lush and can hold the dew for a long time. There are also some little streams to ford but nothing that would present any difficulty what so ever. I was with a pilgrim in Santiago who walked the Via de la Plata in teva sandles and when it was wet - it was wet and they just kept going with no ill effects. It is all personal preference.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi, I did the Camino Ingles in August two years ago and was persuaded to wear trekking sandals which I didn't regret at all. I wore short cotton socks with them and they were perfect, I didn't get any blisters at all. It was extremely hot that summer (it was the summer of the forest fires in Galicia) and the sandals were perfect. I took an extra pair of sandals in case of rain but we didn't get a drop that week.

Suzanne
Happy Camino :D

Hi Suzanne

I recently met a pilgrim who walked the Via de la Plata with Teva sandals in sun and rain without any problems. I was very impressed. So much so I've been toying with the idea of trying walking sandals for the summer months. But I find the decision difficult to make - perhaps it is being Scottish where we are used to very inclement weather - in fact we call it Summer!

"...NEVER assume that because it's summer it will be dry..." (Omar)

Absolutely true.

In my 1,997 Camino was raining the 50% of days, on July.
In my 2,003 Camino (on June) began raining between La Faba and Laguna de Castilla, just before Cebreiro, and only stopped in Lavacolla. Always raining, excepto two hours in Portomarin.

Santiago is the spanish city with most raining days every year. Is said to be always raining or going to rain.

Buen Camino, sometimes wet, sometimes dry.

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I was the pilgrim Johnnie refers to, with the Teva sandals. And yes, rain or shine. Usually with socks, only a few times without. No blisters, no black toenails.
On the way to Fisterra, I met and walked with an Italian woman who also had the same type, different color. She preferred them as well to her walking shoes. Since this topic comes up alot in our forum here, I remembered and took a picture of our feet.

Happy Feet,
Lillian

Attachments

• 2008Spain1126-1.jpg
    2008Spain1126-1.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 1,067
I walked from Burgos to Villadangos in early July in brand new sandals without socks.
Sandals were Ecco brand; (they're expensive even with 25% discount in sale)
Your feet will get dusty &dirty fairly quickly and from time to time you'll have to stop to remove or wiggle free a small pebble.

Buen Camino

Brian

I'm looking to do the Ingles at the end of August. As it's such a short distance i was thinking of just wearing my sketchers. Would this be a good idea, or would proper walking shoes be necessary.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Wow, this is a blast from the past! I took my leather mids in the end, and they were fine, but I did wish I had taken a trail runner type shoe instead as they were quite heavy. I also brought Tevas but didn't enjoy walking in them for a whole day so usually switched half way. The Inglés was my first longer walk and a brilliant chance to test my kit and shape - a real learning curve!
In 2017, almost 2000 kms later, I walked the Inglés again in non-waterproof Hoka Speedgoats, and as Johnnie Walker said in the previous post - when they got wet, they got wet, but they dried very quickly. I just brought a spare pair of insoles to put in when the rain stopped. My other footwear was a pair of Birkenstock Madrid EVA sandals for the evening and that is enough for me.
@Mark Day - I don't know the brand or models, but if your Sketchers are comfortable on tarmac all day, as well as ups and downs and uneven ground, with enough support and cushioning to keep your feet feeling happy, why not. Best go for a long walk several days in a row in them though to make sure. You will be walking from town to town so expect lots of paved roads.

Last edited:
BDD85852-D045-4BC9-9DD8-E02B18A841AA.jpegHi everyone,
Living in A Coruña and having finally been given the freedom to leave the city my son and I have spent a couple days following arrows on the inglés, Miño to Betanzos, when we couldn't go further do to restrictions and just Friday Ferrol to Neda. I have no words to describe viewing the first marker...but that is off topic.
On topic, the inglés has a TON of walking on pavement, now I am a city girl so I don't mind pavement but I also have never walked in boots only trail runners. Miño to Betanzos is 99% pavement. We did run into a little mud from Ferrol to Neda but nothing that needs boots.
Now in Galicia one must always be prepared for rain and we have walked the inglés in August and September a number of times, we train on the inglés, I have never really been so soaked that shoes don't dry, plus the rain is cooling at times, I can count the days of rain on one hand.....
So my personal advice is comfortable padded walking shoes for all the pavement with the understanding they might get muddy....
Buen camino,
MaryEllen 126FB439-5834-4002-9CCF-AFA151E5A668.jpeg4BE5255D-0978-44DF-A3A1-6B65E44385AB.jpeg

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
As it's such a short distance i was thinking of just wearing my sketchers. Would this be a good idea, or would proper walking shoes be necessary.
Short distance? More than 20 km/day is not a short distance. You need some shoes that are super comfortable and appropriately supportive, and that have a reasonably good grip on the bottom. Have you tested your shoes for a couple of consecutive 20 km days on varied terrain? That's what matters.

I'm looking to do the Ingles at the end of August. As it's such a short distance i was thinking of just wearing my sketchers. Would this be a good idea, or would proper walking shoes be necessary.
Hi Mark, I did the Inglés in Skechers in July a few years ago and really wished I'd taken my more supportive Merrells instead. The Skechers ended up feeling too flexible and soft. For a couple of hours each day they'd feel ok, but I really needed more firm support as the day went on. There are a lot of uphill climbs and downhill stretches and my feet slid around too much in the Skechers.

I spread the walk over seven days.

Hope that helps! Buen Camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I walked the Inglés in September 2019. Weather was varied with hot sun and heavy rain and everything in-between! I wore GTX trail runners; Merrell MQM Flex. My feet stayed dry in the rain but could get hot when sunny. So I would change my socks about 2/3rds of the way along each day. It might be a short Camino but the stages are hilly. Trail runners are light but offer support too. I'd say practice in whatever you fancy, on hill and with your loaded pack.

Footwear is always an interesting topic. I wear merino hiking socks with Injinji toesock liners. I had to get a size up to fit over my socks - my feet are very wide. I had also read that sizing up was a good idea because feet swell as you walk. In fact my feet don't swell and I have to tighten my laces as the day progresses or my shoes become too loose! Having tested what worked best for me I managed my feet and did not suffer from blisters. Practice beforehand is well worth it :cool:

Most read last week in this forum

I will be walking my first ever camino this September and have chosen the Camino Ingles. The Inca Trail is the only other multi-day hike I have ever done and is roughly the same length in terms of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.