• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ingles & Finisterra/Muxia Combined

labas78

Hola peregrinos.

My wife and I are planning to do the Ingles (from Ferrol) and Finisterra or Muxia (from Santiago), one after the other, starting towards the end of March. We have about 10 days available, which should see us through and back to Santiago airport. We have already made the Frances last year, so already know the basics, say pack list, foot care, etc. However, some questions do always come up when one is doing a new stretch of the Camino. So we wonder if you could assist us with the following in the meantime that we browse the rest of the forum for answers already posted there.

Weather. We'll be in Galicia, right? That means humidity will most likely accompany us all the way to the end. But what about the weather during the time of the year (end March/beginning April)?

Clothing/Insulation. Continuing from the above question, would trousers be a better idea over shorts? Shoes with high trunk over lower trunk/sandals?

Water. I am reading that most of the stretches run along forest path, some roads, and isolated places, but are we to come across water fountains/bars/cafes often/seldom?

Ferrol-Santiago - Is there a possible way of doing this route in 6 days, without walking more than 25km on any one day, given the location of the towns/villages we'll pass?

Finisterra or Muxia - I did the Finisterra route ten years ago, and got a Fisterrana. Do they still give one nowadays? Is there something similar for those finishng in Muxia?

That's all the thoughts for now. Many thanks in advance for your kind guidance.

Regards
Etienne

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Ingles & Finisterra/Muxia Combined

Happened to meet a family for galicia last week and was telling them that I would do el camino in april, they said the weather can be bad that month, lot of rain.. I changed to June. But from what I see there is always some risk of rain in Galicia/ northern spain.

Hi Etienne
I combined the two Camino's two years ago-I went Santiago to Muxia,there was an early morning bus (6-30am ish) from Muxia to Acoruna and then bus to Ferrol which left me time to walk to Neda ( albergue) and them Mino albergue-Betanzos-Bruma-Sig-Santiago.
Bruma to Sig is 28/30 km but easy flat walking it seems like less-the hard bit is Betanzos to the Albergue in Bruma 28km a lot of it uphill I had no problems with water but not a lot of shops and bars apart from Bruma to Sig and Sig to Santiago but lots in each nights stop.
good luck I hope the rains keep off
Ian

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hola

The guide to the Camino Ingles is available to download here:http://www.csj.org.uk/guides-online.htm

Your questions:

1 Weather in March - prepare for rain and hope for sun. You may get both.

2 Clothing - have clothes you can use in layers as it will still be cold in the evenings at least. You will also need a good rain shell. Shoes or boots with a goretex or other waterproof membrane would be my choice.

3 On the Camino Ingles the fountains and bars are indicated in the guide - you won't have to carry an inordinate amount of water but there isn't a tap on every corner. Remember it isn't the height of summer and you will use less water in any event.

4 Ferrol to Santiago in 6 stages - yes you can cut the route into different stages if you wish but you'll need some help. Have a look: http://johnniewalker-santiago.blogspot. ... ngles.html for local backup which will help you do this. Many pilgrims are now using this cost effective service.

5 Certificate in Muxia - Yes, here it is:

Buen camino

John

Attachments

• MUXIA, FIN DA RUTA XACOBEA (Fer).jpg
    MUXIA, FIN DA RUTA XACOBEA (Fer).jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 957
Hi and thanks a lot for you feedback.

Due to the unavoidable rain, it sounds like the route is not much favoured for the time-window we have available. So the next question rises automatically ... are the albergues closed/manned for that time of year?

Please advise and thanks again in advance.
Etienne.

Hi Etienne
I combined the two Camino's two years ago-I went Santiago to Muxia,there was an early morning bus (6-30am ish) from Muxia to Acoruna and then bus to Ferrol which left me time to walk to Neda ( albergue) and them Mino albergue-Betanzos-Bruma-Sig-Santiago.
Bruma to Sig is 28/30 km but easy flat walking it seems like less-the hard bit is Betanzos to the Albergue in Bruma 28km a lot of it uphill I had no problems with water but not a lot of shops and bars apart from Bruma to Sig and Sig to Santiago but lots in each nights stop.
good luck I hope the rains keep off
Ian
Researching today trying to find a way to connect the Light House Way to the Inglais by foot...and end up on one of Sagalouts posts.
Amazing how this angel will always be here for us on the forum!!! RIP dear Pilgrim, we continue to thank you for your knowledge...

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Three of us just returned yesterday after completing the Camino Ingles and then hiked to Finesterre and Muxia in 13 days. All of us were over 65 years old so took it pretty easy. We took 7 days to walk the Ingles spent the night in A Coruna, took the bus to Ferrol and only walked to Neda the first day.

The weather was fabulous with no rain , but we understand after talking to the locals this is pretty unusual especially in April/May when they have significant rain. Water isn't an issue as we never carried more than a bottle each day plenty of chances for stops.

We got both a Fisterrana and a Muxiana.

In my experience the weather patterns don’t always apply. I walked the CF April/May this year expecting lots of rain and got far less than when walking it in autumn 2015. Not even one single day of complete rain.

Most read last week in this forum

So, I managed to lose my lovely Tilley hat. Left behind I think, in a shop in Cambre. Going back for it not an option as the place is closed today, Sunday. Am I destined to arrive in Santiago...
Beautiful walking weather on the Camino Ingles today

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.