• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ingles re-routed by local businesses

Rebekah Scott

Camino Busybody
Time of past OR future Camino
Many, various, and continuing.
The merchants are at it again... waymarks on the final etapa of the Camino Ingles have been dismantled, the signs now point pilgrims away from the wooded stretch most of us know that begins just outside Siguero, and keeps them walking along the busy highway. Where they are more likely to spend money.

https://www.lavozdegalicia.es/notic...azado-entrada-santiago/0003_201710S2C3991.htm

I can remember walking this old route back when the Ingles was still very new... it's a whole lot more noisy, and downright dangerous where it crosses the highway.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Why am I not surprised?
Time for some vigilante waymarking to restore the the old way. Or a trade embargo.
Good thing there's no unwritten pilgrim's law that says we have to follow the arrows.

(Who decides this stuff, anyway, and how? Can whoever feels like they want to divert pilgrims into their town do so unilaterally? Or is it the Galician powers that be? Or?)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I walk the Francès and took a wrong path once (2016). I walked the Inglés and got lost three times (2017). The Inglés covers a lot of asphalt paths and roads. It really doesn't want any more along the route. The business' are surely shooting themselves in the foot - the Inglés is not busy compared to other routes, so if they want more pilgrims = more income, adding more hard-surface walking will not help - certainly from my point of view and enjoyment of the Camino. I know this from my Camino friends, too. The Inglés already has a reputation as a city-urban road and path route, this will add to that and discourage many potential pilgrims from taking that pilgrimage, which in turn could effect existing, real-route business. Its a pity, the Inglés is a wonderful, special pilgrimage, like others, and has much to give and contemplate.

I just wish it was possible to boycott/blacklist such businesses. I very much disliked that last part. Not that I found the crossing of the main road difficult, as there were crossings at the traffic light.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
But we can still go over the bridge and turn left the veer right ?

At least that was the route that was current this April, when I was on the Inglés. Nice walk, even if several groups of pilgrims overlooked one alleged arrow in the woods. Nothing a short application of map, compass and common sense couldn't handle ;)

I (blush) overlooked the "Sigüero" and was thinking about when you enter the second bit of industrial area, shortly after the "enchanted wood". The arrows take you left, past the seemingly very popular bar (second best cafe leche I had on that route, large too), across the main road and on to a very boring stretch, but I was told that there was another, more pleasant path to the right of the bar.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thinking back on the place where we discovered that we had missed a marker, we went right and met up with the Inglés again. A friend, who left ahead of us, went left, and ended up on the CF into the city. Judging from his description, he had chosen the more pleasant, but slightly longer, route :)

I just wish it was possible to boycott/blacklist such businesses. I very much disliked that last part. Not that I found the crossing of the main road difficult, as there were crossings at the traffic light.
Maybe good, clear encouraging sign posts/advertisements for pilgrims, instead of false re-routing, would bring them extra business??? I don't know, but there's a sense of being 'used' or tricked by false signing - and we know through the unfortunate experiences of other pilgrims it can be dodgy, if not dangerous. Business' should be discouraged from false signs or it could spread and become epidemic and dangerous.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Before it closed (for retirement) the bar at Vizoño - after Casa Julia - showed itself as a diversion off the Camino without changing any arrows. If you went there you could either return to the route or they told you how to continue and rejoin just past the cafe/bar. No problems with the signing and helpful for those in need. Actual false re-routing is IMO wrong and should be discouraged somehow.

Most read last week in this forum

I will be walking my first ever camino this September and have chosen the Camino Ingles. The Inca Trail is the only other multi-day hike I have ever done and is roughly the same length in terms of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back