• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ingles -vs- other short route options?

Roi

Time of past OR future Camino
April 2016
Dear Peregrinos!

Expert consult required :)

I have 4-5 days to walk the Camino in mid-April and finding it difficult to decide between the following options so kindly suggested to me in the forums:
1. Santigo to Finnestre / Muxia
2. SJPdP to Pamplona (this sounds beautiful but I'm weary of missing out on the Napoleon route due to bad weather)
2. Sarria to Santiago
3. Ouense to Santiago
4. Camino Ingles
5. Leon to Oveido

Can anyone please weigh in? My focus is on : beautiful scenery , a safe bet on the weather, and ease of access.

Any tips would be highly appreciated!

Gracias y Buen Camino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I would also throw in Lugo to Santiago just to make it more confusing. (the end of the Primitivo)

I am assuming you know that Santiago to Finisterre and then Muxía will not qualify for the compostela, but both Finisterre and Muxía give their own certificates of completion. That´s a lovely walk, but I don't know if I would enjoy it as much if I weren't walking it after having walked a camino. Those four days are just a wonderful way to prepare yourself for re-entry into life as we know it. It's very pretty in some parts, but I personally think if beautiful scenery is your priority, that wouldn't be my top choice.

León to Oviedo on the Salvador is one of my favorites, but it is very possible to have a lot of snow in mid-April, which would mean missing the prettiest parts.

Here's just one opinion -- I think if you're also trying to see if you like the whole "Camino vibe," either start in Sarria or walk the Inglés from Ferrol. Mid April won't be real crunch time on the Francés but I think most places will be open. The Inglés is likely to have a lot fewer people, but you will feel like you've walked a "whole" Camino if that makes any sense.

Buen camino, Laurie

Hi Roi
I think you'd love really enjoy No5. Leon to Oviedo. I'd take the risk of a bit of snow.
There were still bits about last year for me (leaving Leon 25 April) but adds to the beauty .

If that is too risky re weather, I'd give Ingles a go. (I haven't walked this route but intend to when I can) I can't compare these two but the ingles will (as Peregrina2000 points out) give you a completed Compostela from Ferrol.

Buen Camino
Annie

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Walked the Ingles from Ferro last year and it is a beautiful walk. Not a lot of pilgrims but as I enjoy my own company that didn't worry me however those I did meet were wonderful. Also the locals were extremely helpful and I got the feeling they enjoyed the pilgrims being there. On two occasions different bread vans stopped and I was a given a loaf of bread and at other times locals called out to ask if I wanted water. Certainly a camino I would walk again.

Hi @Roi, where are you travelling from? You mentioned 'ease of access' as one of your criteria. I agree that this is important when you have a short time frame. You don't want to waste a full day travelling if you can avoid doing so.

I walked from A Coruna to Muxia in just over 5 days (by walking the first 8kms the day that I arrived). Here's a link to my itinerary and comments: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/walking-from-a-coruña.36507/ It involved a few long days, but I think you mentioned in another thread that you were up for a physical challenge!

Buen Camino and enjoy the planning.

The ease of access is a good point. If you can land in Santiago then a bus from the airport takes you to Santiago bus station where the bus leaves for Ferrol. for the Ingles. My first Camino was from Ferrol taking 5 days. I returned there again last year. Some lovely scenery. Very enjoyable. It will be very quiet in April so don't choose it if you want lots of company.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
All your options seem great to me. I would add Baiona to Santiago. You can catch train from Santiago to Vigo then a bus to Baiona. Or start between Baiona & Vigo.

I f you want five days of generally solitary walking but with beautiful surroundings and more than adequate support then the Camino Ingles can't be beat. No crowds, nice weather (in the summer) and very interesting range of geography and local color. Also, for whatever it's worth, it is a "complete" Camino unto itself rather than a small portion of the others.

Dear Peregrinos!

I have 4-5 days to walk the Camino in mid-April and finding it difficult to decide between the following options so kindly suggested to me in the forums:
2. SJPdP to Pamplona (this sounds beautiful but I'm weary of missing out on the Napoleon route due to bad weather)
2. Sarria to Santiago
3. Ouense to Santiago
4. Camino Ingles
5. Leon to Oveido

Can anyone please weigh in? My focus is on : beautiful scenery , a safe bet on the weather, and ease of access.

Gracias y Buen Camino
It rather depends on how you feel about crowds. Sarria would be the most crowded. The León and Ourense options probably the least. SJPdP very steep first day; and indeed v steep hill out of Ourense (miles of it). Galician routes probably the most doubtful weather-wise. How about Sevilla to Zafra - probably the safest bet for weather. Or part of the VdlP taking in Mérida and Caceres - fabulous cities.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Actually if it was me my favourite spot is from Pamplona and just walking out 4-5 days. That strip just after Pamplona is stunning. Not quite the same as finishing in Santiago but great walk.

San Salvador - tick for scenery and access
Baztan (Baiona to Pamplona) - same tick
Now that didn't help, did it?

Dear Peregrinos!

2. Sarria to Santiago
3. Ouense to Santiago
4. Camino Ingles
5. Leon to Oveido

Gracias y Buen Camino
Have you considered walking the Portuguese from Tui to Santiago

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I've only walked Camino Ingles and my first and it didn't disappoint me. If you like quiet and less crowd, it's a walk you can consider. Beautiful walk. As @Urban Trekker mentioned Portuguese from Tui to Santiago is another thing to consider. I've watched videos of pilgrims doing the Tui to Santiago and it looks good. Tui to Santiago is my next list for a Camino.

Good luck. Buen Camino.

Thank you all for your awesome feedback!

The camaraderie in this forum is heart warming :)

I've narrowed down the list to Sarria-Santiago or Ferrol-Santiago, with a strong lean towards Ferrol!

Quick follow-up question: Will the albergues etc be open in the first week of April?

Cheers!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Love all the positive responses re the camino Ingles as we are doing that in August. I was just at a local camino meeting where I live and everyone there had positive comments about the Ingles. We are doing it over 6 days though and still have one really long day. Although I'm sure you are in better shape than we are:D

Buen Camino!

Query, and help for me to best advise two people who have only a brief window to walk at 6-day camino in, you guessed it, mid-July. Flights already booked, returning home 27 July. I believe they hope for a compostela and to stay in albergues.
My initial reaction was, oh dear, there will be peak-crowds on the CF, to reach Santiago for the Feast Day. Trouble is, I've only walked in the spring, on various routes, so I'd appreciate other members' opinions.
Would you suggest the Camino Inglés or the Camino Portugués? I would guess the Inglés may be a bit 'cooler' (if no forest fires this year!), but there would seem to be fewer accommodation options compared to the Portugués.
I've been avidly following Magwood, for whom the Inglés has been a bit of a doddle after her exploits!, but this will be the 'first' camino for the people I'm talking about and I want them to have the best introduction they can, given their time constraints.
Thanks for your input.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi I've walked both routes several times. I don't stay in Albergues as a rule but I believe that there are enough Albergues (municipal or private) to make both a comfortable 6 day walk (Ingles from Ferrol or Portugues from Valenca/Tui). For me the Ingles just edges it but IMHO is a bit tougher than the Portugues, however both are lovely walks.

Is there any restriction on distance in a day because the can do both in a five day walk and maybe spend an extra day in Santiago? I think they will enjoy either.
Happy to help with day stages and distances if they are leaning towards a particular route.

Many thanks for the quick reply, Miguel. I am familiar with the CP myself, having walked from Porto, and from Tui, but I haven't walked the Inglés (yet!). I have Johnnie Walker's guides to both that I can share with my questioners, as well as the useful info on Gronze and Consumer.es. I know they should have no distance/time concerns on either route--it's just accommodation I'm wondering about--given that they'll be walking into Stgo for the Feastday.

Apologies Silverton, I read your post very quickly while doing some prep for my own Ingles in June and completely missed what you were asking. I can't help I'm afraid re: Albergues around feast day.

It may be worth starting a new thread with a title about accommodation on Ingles/Portugues around feast day as this may be picked up more easily by people that have done it in previous years. Just a thought :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
hi @Silverton here's the guide to accomodation on inlges: http://www.gronze.com/camino-ingles
I find that neda and betanzos quite plenty of bed more than 26 and the rest about 20 beds. If you have a big group you may need to arrive early to secure a bed. Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

So, I managed to lose my lovely Tilley hat. Left behind I think, in a shop in Cambre. Going back for it not an option as the place is closed today, Sunday. Am I destined to arrive in Santiago...
Beautiful walking weather on the Camino Ingles today
On one of the FB forums, someone asked about detouring to Fragas do Eume, just outside of Pontedeume, and it looks amazing. Since I'm splitting up Ferrol - Pontedeume into two days (taking the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back