• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ingles weather in May - something resembling a real question

LorneB

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portugues - Porto to Vigo, 2017; Vigo to SDC to Muxia, 2018
This question is probably unworthy of this forum, but since it's unlikely to be my first such transgression, why not go for it?

I have an eye on walking the Camino Ingles in May (my plan at the moment is to land in Ferrol, and sometime before or once I get there, decide to either walk to Santiago, or board the FEVE train and ride it in short stages to Bilbao).

As I understand it, rain can be common on that pilgrimage. If that's what I get, that's what I get. But is there any chance that if I had the choice of either setting out at the beginning of May or more towards the middle, that there would a difference in weather in a predictable way?

That's kind of a real question, isn't it? And sure, it's also an excuse for enjoying some dialogue with this really enjoyable online community :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Well, I just quickly searched weather averages in Santiago and found that on average, there are 13 days of rain in April, 11 in May and 7 in June. That suggests that on average, there is a decrease in rain from the first of May to the end of May. So, later in May would likely be drier than earlier in May. Hmmm. Not sure that makes it predictable, though.

it's also an excuse for enjoying some dialogue
Glad to help out!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi LorneB. Something that can happen -! - on this forum is that replies may be slightly off topic. The rain that came to batter us on our fourth day of the Ingles camino last year, after about the fourth hour of it, just helped us to sing and laugh and almost skip our way towards our destination for the day. Look what you would miss if you just hopped on the FEVE. The chance of swinging your walking pole, singing away... toss a coin. You will get what is waiting for you, either way. And the next time, take the other option!

Hello,
I have lived in Galicia (A Coruña) for 26 years. I have memories of both extremes in May.....cold and rainy, sunny and hot.....however never freezing or boiling....I have walked the inglés multiple times in rain and shine and either way it scratches that camino itch. I really don't think the beginning or middle would be different. If you have time walk the stretch from Coruña to Bruma. It can be done in one day... but two is easier.
On the other hand my orchestra tours to Bilbao most years and the bus ride is beautiful, I imagine the train would be even better You can't go wrong!!
Buen camino
MaryEllen

Last edited:
Hi LorneB. Something that can happen -! - on this forum is that replies may be slightly off topic. The rain that came to batter us on our fourth day of the Ingles camino last year, after about the fourth hour of it, just helped us to sing and laugh and almost skip our way towards our destination for the day. Look what you would miss if you just hopped on the FEVE. The chance of swinging your walking pole, singing away... toss a coin. You will get what is waiting for you, either way. And the next time, take the other option!
I remember that storm! I was there too! But it (“only”) lasted a few hours and cleared beautifully later in the day. We have a saying: “there is no such thing as bad weather, only bad equipment”. That holds fairly true in all but the worst of storms...

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Not May but first week in June 2019, sunny, warm, cloudy, windy, rain, cold, more wind and rain. Smiles, happiness, contentment. Weather really doesn’t matter, it’s what’s in your heart that does.

This question is probably unworthy of this forum, but since it's unlikely to be my first such transgression, why not go for it?

I have an eye on walking the Camino Ingles in May (my plan at the moment is to land in Ferrol, and sometime before or once I get there, decide to either walk to Santiago, or board the FEVE train and ride it in short stages to Bilbao).

As I understand it, rain can be common on that pilgrimage. If that's what I get, that's what I get. But is there any chance that if I had the choice of either setting out at the beginning of May or more towards the middle, that there would a difference in weather in a predictable way?

That's kind of a real question, isn't it? And sure, it's also an excuse for enjoying some dialogue with this really enjoyable online community :)
For what it’s worth I did the Ingles in April 2018 and it poured down every day except for one morning when it was such thick fog we got just as wet. It didn’t really detract from the experience. There are great places to stay and eat. Last year I walked from Ponferrada to Santiago for 9 days at the end of March. It was like the Mediterranean from start to finish and was baking hot even in the “mountains”. I think from my fairly regular visits to Galicia it’s best to assume rain. If you do you won’t be disappointed and may be very pleasantly surprised. I hope the photos show the difference. Ultreia.

Attachments

• 5F68AE6C-F265-4B6E-AA69-1636FA000713.jpeg
    5F68AE6C-F265-4B6E-AA69-1636FA000713.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
  • 8B452D63-9035-4B93-A142-CB4A783621F8.jpeg
    8B452D63-9035-4B93-A142-CB4A783621F8.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 4
  • 2FB1B37B-696F-45BE-8BCE-9400BBC8010F.jpeg
    2FB1B37B-696F-45BE-8BCE-9400BBC8010F.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4
  • FF5F38AB-D8FD-4AF9-ADE5-007337204E53.jpeg
    FF5F38AB-D8FD-4AF9-ADE5-007337204E53.jpeg
    283.4 KB · Views: 3
We walked the ingles last june and it rained on and off. I advise you buy or borrow an Altus poncho then you don’t need to worry as you will be dry

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.