• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best Toe Sock Liners for Hiking: Comparing Injini Coolmax and Nuwool Liners with Smartwool Merino Socks

ThomCatStevens

Time of past OR future Camino
Future Frances or Portugese
Hi all,
Has anyone used Injini Coolmax toe socks or Nuwool toe socks with 41% ‘Nuwool’(NOT the ones with 74% Merino wool) under merino socks?
Injini coolmax.PNGInjini Nuwool liner.PNG
Pros and cons for each for blister prevention? I guess both would dry out quickly after washing and drying in June...

I'm walking the Camino Frances in June.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Last edited by a moderator:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Have used the Injini Coolmax for about the last 5 years, both on Camino and walking in UK. Never had a blister since using them. I do also use Gehwol, which comes highly recommended.
Buen Camino

Have used the Injini Coolmax for about the last 5 years, both on Camino and walking in UK. Never had a blister since using them. I do also use Gehwol, which comes highly recommended.
Buen Camino
Thanks for that, Phil. I've heard a lot of good feedback on them and glad they have worked for you.
I'm trying to get people's thoughts on one or the other (Coolax vs. Nuwool versions).

thanks again!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Always! I won't take a walk without them anymore. Even a shorter walk at home. I used to blister around my toes all the time - never a problem since I started wearing them with my merino wool cushioned socks (darn tough or injinji brand). I rarely get any blisters now - if I do they are very small but they are usually because I change something about my choice in shoe. I do have a combination of the merino vs nuwool injinjis - they are the same on my feet.

I have injinji liner socks, also the coolmax and merino ones too. Without toe socks I suffer from blisters between my smallest two toes. On camino I wear the liner injinji with Icebreaker light merino hiker socks. They are my most comfortable solution combined with my choice of shoes.

I suggest you try out sock and shoe combinations to find what works best for you. I did a lot of testing to find what worked best for me and had no foot issues on the CF last year. As manufacturers change their products and I don't have standard shaped feet I am always testing at home!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have used both. The wool ones are a little thicker, and I like them for colder weather, but have used them in the Summer, also. Whatever fits in your shoes the best. If you have one foot bigger than the other, as I do, you could use the wool on your smaller foot.

I wear Injini socks daily. Started using them on my first CF in 2015 and never looked back. Four CFs, total of four blisters which were my fault.

Hi all,
Has anyone used Injini Coolmax toe socks or Nuwool toe socks with 41% ‘Nuwool’(NOT the ones with 74% Merino wool) under merino socks?
View attachment 139367View attachment 139368
Pros and cons for each for blister prevention? I guess both would dry out quickly after washing and drying in June...

I'm walking the Camino Frances in June.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!
I wear them under a pair of darn tough socks and they are great! No blisters at all!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
On the Francés I wore them with darn tough socks but on the VDLP I wore them on their own. Love them - no blisters!

Can't stand to have anything between my toes. Don't even like flip flops, so try out a pair before you invest too much money,

I've worn both types, on their own without having issues. I now wear them while I'm home. Can't imagine walking/hiking without my "toe socks".

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Can't stand to have anything between my toes. Don't even like flip flops, so try out a pair before you invest too much money,
Yep - definitely try them out before investing in too many pairs. That said - give them a good decent try. I thought I would hate them. Took a month or two to get used to them. Now I won't hike without them.

But some of us will LOVE them, some of us will HATE them haha. But really - give them a at least a month before deciding! Unless they cause foot problems beyond you just don't like anything between toes. (This statement isn't to J Wilhaus as I know you are a veteran pilgrim and I know you know what you like in footwear - but to the others reading this thread)

The Injini Coolmax toe socks were a Godsend for me! I had major blister problems on my first camino in 2015 and a couple of hiking trips after where I continued to have blister problems. A few years after those initial painful journeys I discovered the Injini liners and never looked back! So 7 years later and several pilgrimages later they have been the perfect solution for me - never any feet problems since. It may feel a little funny at first but you'll get used to them very quickly and not even notice you have them on.

As with all gear, try it out at home before your Camino on a 25Km walk to see if it works for you!

-Paul

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back