• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What's Your Favorite Socks or Combination You Have Ever Used?

Your best sock?

• Injinji

Votes: 47 35.9%
  • Falke

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Wrightsock

Votes: 27 20.6%
  • Smartwool

Votes: 41 31.3%
  • Darn tough

Votes: 53 40.5%
  • CEP

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • UYN

• Danish Endurance

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • Salomon

• Icebreaker

Votes: 14 10.7%

• Total voters
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Injinji liners (toe socks) and lightweight Darn Tough or Smartwool outer socks. Paired with well fitting boots (Keen, me; Salomon, wife) we walked SJPD to Santiago without a single blister or hotspot.

Smartwool heavy weight all the way. I tried the Darn Tough brand, and they DO last longer due to the higher poly content. Unfortunately for me, they also seem to be Darn Tough on my tender tootsies as well.

My view is that socks are pretty much commodity products, and that while I have favourites for different purposes, none stand out so much from the others that I would suggest they were 'best'. Looking at the rather short list of socks that has been listed, there are many brands that I see here in Australia missing, and some brands I just don't see here. This might be because there are a range of house brands I keep an eye out for, like Mont, Snowgum, Mountain Designs and Macpac, all of whom had their origins as outdoors retailers on the AS/NZ market.

My own take:
  • I buy at the sales. There isn't that much difference it is worth paying more for a particular brand
  • cheap brands, like Crane from Aldi, are just as good if you can find them as more expensive brands
  • the fine wool industry has put a lot of money into advertising hype about how good they are. I think it is just that, hype. I have found no detectable performance difference between synthetic blends and wool or wool blends, other than wool takes longer to dry.
  • I buy three pairs or two sets of two, depending on the packaging. I take three pairs of trekking socks on my pilgrimage walks, and I want then to be the same.
  • Liner socks are much the same, I have favourites, but that doesn't mean they perform any better. Wool liner socks might feel nice, but I haven't found that it performs any better.
  • Avoid cotton, although having said that, one of my all time favourite trekking socks had a small percentage of cotton in the fabric blend.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I like Bridgedale.

I tried 100 mile: didn't work for me. Also tried merino, which are fine for ordinary use, but were massacred on the Camino by my feet which rendered them "cabrales"

I agree that there's a lot of hype and snobbery around wool, especially pure wool, and that it takes too long to dry.

I think the list in the opening post is US centric as I have never seen any of those brands (though I've heard of "Darn Tough" and seen them on Amazon.de I think... and I know Icebreaker brand and Salomon shoes but not socks).

I wear Yuedge hiking socks most of the time (both for hiking/ Camino and with jeans for every day use) and also take Otter socks (waterproof socks) for very wet ground especially if walking through wet grass or boggy areas is unavoidable.

I wouldn't take Otter socks for a summer Camino in Spain or a mainly asphalt route obviously, but I'm walking"from my house door" in Germany and they've been useful!

They're very warm but have saved me from trench foot (I've experienced walking 42km in one day through the Donauwald, which is a very boggy forest environment, and never want feet that saturated again!). My boots aren't fully waterproof and as I have awkward feet and spend many hundreds of € before I found boots which work for my feet I'd rather take waterproof socks than start again searching for waterproof boots which don't torture my feet!

Last edited:
Also I'm surprised that liners seem to be the norm - why is that?

My thinking is that two layers increase the risk of reducing circulation in the ankle and the risk of friction - presumably this is not the experience of those who use liners! I just wear one pair of socks at a time, and take three or four pairs as socks isn't the area to skimp on IME - clean, dry socks make more difference than anything!

I've never used liners, and I wouldn't say that most do.
My thinking is that two layers increase the risk of reducing circulation in the ankle and the risk of friction
I don't know about reducing circulation, but I doubt it. However I think that the primary reason people use liners is to reduce the effect of friction on the skin. The idea is that the friction occurs between the layers of socks - not in the skin.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I agree that there's a lot of hype and snobbery around wool, especially pure wool, and that it takes too long to dry.
I wouldn't consider it "hype or snobbery". Many of us have tried MANY socks with different materials and from different brands. For many of us (not everyone) we have the least problems with merino wool socks. So yes - for those of us who have tried a lot of socks and very few leave us blister free - we will rave about them. But as always - what works for one persons feet doesn't always work for another persons feet. Wear whichever material and brand works for you.

My thinking is that two layers increase the risk of reducing circulation in the ankle and the risk of friction - presumably this is not the experience of those who use liners! I just wear one pair of socks at a time, and take three or four pairs as socks isn't the area to skimp on IME - clean, dry socks make more difference than anything!
And - liners are the norm for many because it puts the friction between the two pairs of socks instead of between the foot and sock and/or shoe, thus reducing blisters (for many). I have no issues with reduced foot circulation because I size up my shoes - you should always try shoes on with your shoe sock combination. Again - what works for one person may not work for someone else. I never thought I would wear my toe sock liners (the thought of toe socks sounded awful to me) - but now I won't hike or even take long walks without them.

Anyway - if your shoe/sock combination works - no need to change it! If it doesn't work - read through peoples sock/shoe suggestions and try different combinations until you find what does work.

Odd that Thorlo isn't on the list. they make excellent synthetic trail running socks that last forever. I pair them with liners from Fox River

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Knitido Explorer for my summer´s Camino. Also injinji and Montbell toe socks. Really nice.

Foot Glide + injini toe sock liners + Darn Tough - all CoolMax (no wool of any kind for me).
My recipe for over 10 years blister free hiking on the AT, local and the CF. Took me quite a while to figure out that sock fit was just as important as shoe fit to prevent blisters.

I took three pairs of Danish Endurance socks on the Frances with me last year, and I had only two blisters in that time (both on the top of my toe, and the second caused by taping the remains of the first one too tightly on the descent into Molinaseca!) Really comfortable, great for wicking away sweat and long-lasting: I'm still using them for walks now and I expect they'll be fine to come on the Primitivo with me in April. (I wear them with Merrell Accentor boots)

I've used others before - I liked the 1000 Mile two layer ones, but they wore out well before a thousand miles, and used various combinations of inners and outers with a lot of non-brand and store brand ones. Falke's achilles support socks are great for running, which used to give me tendinitis.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
My favorite is Injinji liners with any merino wool crew socks or injinji wool socks alone. Paired with good fitting hiking boots your feet will be well cared for. But do take a product such as Mole Skin or Compeed in case of hot spots.

Last edited:
Ultra thin synthetic running socks and Vaseline applied when needed. I've had almost no blisters on multiple Camino's and the socks are only about $2 a pair. They also dry very fast after hand washing.
I've met a lot of pilgrims in misery with terrible blisters who were wearing the expensive trekking socks.

First timer here, I hope the OP won’t mind if I tap into the sock wisdom in this thread. I don’t generally like wool, even merino, but I have tried basic Costco merino socks and they are downright cushie! I am a convert but I have a few questions:

1. footie vs ankle vs mid calf height? I will be walking the CP in late Sept to October. I can’t imagine my feet ever getting cold (I’m Canadian) but hot is a real worry.
2. Why or do I need cushioning on my calf?

Thank you so much!

1. footie vs ankle vs mid calf height? I will be walking the CP in late Sept to October. I can’t imagine my feet ever getting cold (I’m Canadian) but hot is a real worry.
2. Why or do I need cushioning on my calf?

Thank you so much!
Totally up to you! Wear what is comfortable for you.

I personally prefer no show or ankle socks as long as they don't bunch up/go into your shoe as you walk (if you know what I mean). One advantage is the weight - they weigh next to nothing, so I can bring extra pairs if I want to without adding any significant weight to my pack. Another advantage is when I am walking in shorts or a hiking dress - the tan line is around my ankle and not my calf lol.

The advantage of mid-calf would be it protects more against taller grass/brush - but if that is a problem you could also switch to pants instead of shorts. No - you don't need cushioning on your calf. But some people do need longer compression socks. They can also keep you a little warmer in cold temps.

I've never used liners, and I wouldn't say that most do.

I don't know about reducing circulation, but I doubt it. However I think that the primary reason people use liners is to reduce the effect of friction on the skin. The idea is that the friction occurs between the layers of socks - not in the skin.
I’m testing the toe socks. So far they do seem to reduce my hot spots. They don’t interfere with circulation.

There is no right or wrong, so let’s hear it!
What’s you favorite sock or combination you have ever used?
I have only used 2 pairs of smart wool low ankle hikers plus one pair coolmax liners OR 2 pairs of darn tough low ankle hikers plus one pair coolmax liners on my caminos for ease of washing and the benefits of marino wool. The smart wool are softer and a bit more comfortable that the slightly coarser darn toughs, but on my first walking camino, one pair of the smart wools wore right through in 2 weeks. Last 4 Caminos I used the smart wools and made sure to get equal time on both pairs for no wear-through. I only use the liners at end of day or if hot spot starts. Great thing about the smart wools is that if my feet get totally soaking wet from rain or puddles, I can just wring them out and put them back on. They will then feel like a dry pair of socks. When/if the rain stops, then I put on the actual dry pair. I wash them each day and they are nearly always dry by morning. Even if they are a little damp, they are still fully wearable. I do use vaseline between my toes every day which ironically moisturize the skin, but also waterproofs the skin for those wet days. I never got blisters on the caminos and have only needed to duct-tape hot spots a handful of times. Smart wools never were greasy at the end of the day.

Smarwool PhD. No creams.

Just one pair of socks with Borreal shoes and Asolo boots.

3 1/2 Caminos with no blisters. Easy to hand wash and usually dry the next day. I keep wondering why I bring 3 pairs of socks. Seems like excess weight that extra pair. 😀

Sorry to overshare but..... Cotton socks (t-shirts, underwear and Levi cotton jeans too) feel grimy after wearing once. Mmmmm, you can wear merlino wool "a few" times before they get up and dance away on their own. Just sayn. 😜

They don't call me Crackpot for nothing!!!

Last edited:
My preference is either REI silk liners or Injinji liners, with a merino wool sock over top. I did the CF and on to Finisterre with no blisters. My better half had one blister. The fit of the socks is so important though. Not loose and not too tight. We also have different thicknesses of merino for different seasons.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
This is exactly what worried me. OK, I think Ill get some ankle socks and test them out. Ill be wearing pants so won't have to worry about tan lines! Thank you so much!
Your welcome! Yes - regular athletic socks bunch up for me. so I don't wear them often anymore. But my injinji and darn tough socks don't do that (whether worn separately or together and whether they are ankle or no show) - so don't be afraid to try different brands to see what you like!

1. Icebreaker [lightweight pure wool] 2. Bridgedale [liner socks] ... domestic winter use only ... I’m something of an outlier and happily so 😎 I don’t wear socks with my Keen Arroyo II sandals and haven’t done for a long time ... and no blisters!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
This is has been an enlightening discussion as I prepare for my first camino.
I live in Canada and the only place I have been able to find Ininji toe socks and/or liners is Amazon.
Is there somewhere else to buy them? Or is there another brand that are similar and available?

I live in Canada and the only place I have been able to find Ininji toe socks and/or liners is Amazon.
Is there somewhere else to buy them? Or is there another brand that are similar and available?
MEC has these ones:

Injinji Trail Midweight Mini-Crew Coolmax Socks - Unisex​

These seem like full on socks though.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks. I checked in the store yesterday but neglected to look online when my google search did not have them come up.

To be clear-- Are those referencing Injini regular toe socks as "liners"?

Or is there another Injini toe sock which is thinner and is made as a liner?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

I use Injinji toe socks with Bridgedale liners over the top. I always stop every two hours to let my feet breathe and put on fresh socks.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks for so much interesting answers. I am sure that helps lots of folks!
I am with you people!
I love my injinjis. But Smartwool and darn tough work well too for me. I spend all my life double socking when hiking. Then I walked 800k with trailnrunners and just one pair of sock, not one blister.

The secret for me is to take out the sole of the shoe that seems a bit too big with thick and doubles sock. Stand on the sole with that sock combination and if there is still a thumb wide in front, it is the right size.
I did carry a compeed stick (no mineral oil as in Vaseline) but did not needed.

I have used Wigwam hiking socks, Darn Tough, and Smartwool, and all work well for me; I prefer the ankle length.
I have never used sock liners, creams or vaseline. I bring a new pair of Injinji socks for the "just in case", but have never needed to use them.

I can’t seem to find the Nuwool Injinji liners anymore. Are they not selling them anymore?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Tried many and then found the 1000 Mile Fusion Anklet. They are dual layer. Walked 1000km plus in them and had no blisters at all. I will not buy any other socks for hiking anymore - when you find something that works you stick with it right!

My favourite socks are the socks I have. I wear them day in, day out.
At home, and when walking.
I buy them if I need them, if I like the colours, if they are on sale, and they are always some technical blend of wool.
I have a drawer of cotton socks. barely worn.
I learned from experience that they are not good for my feet for serious walking.
My feet.
You need to discover what is good for your feet.
Amen punto. 😁

I bought mine at REI

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Vaseline, Injingi liner, and Darn Tough socks. I completed 217 miles on the Appalachian Trail with no blisters.
Exactly the same for me however i did get blisters my 2nd week into Frances.
Thinking back on it - perhaps I didn't hydrate enough and pushed myself more than I should've on daily basis.
But I still swear by this combination although I understand that to each his\her own

Amazon has them (at least in US): Injinji Nuwool
I have never used Injinji socks, but brought a new pair on my last two Caminos as a back-up plan "just in case", but so far I have not needed them. Six Caminos and I've not had a true blister, although I have treated a few hot spots; usually within the first few days.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks. I checked in the store yesterday but neglected to look online when my google search did not have them come up.
Not sure where you are in Canada but Injeli's website says Running Free carries their socks. There are 3 stores in Ontario:

For all Canadians on this thread, I was in the Toronto MEC yesterday and the guy in the shoe/sock department said they will have all the new Spring/Summer stuff coming in in the next month or so. He said hold off until then. Lots of new stuff in all departments. He was a super nice guy who is heading out on his first Camino (CCP, same as me) in April. I got to say my first Bom Caminho!

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.