A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Camino Forum Donation

Injured American Pilgrim in Hospital Rio Carrion needs urgent translation help

Status
Not open for further replies.

ParistoCapeCod

"Come on mom this 14k isn't going to walk itself."
Camino(s) past & future
April 2016 Lugo to SdC. Hospitalera August 2016. Camino del Norte June-July 2014, some of Arles, Le Puy and Vézelay routes.
[name removed by mod] of CT was injured three days ago and is in hospital. She needs help with translation regarding her care. If you are bilingual English/Spanish and in the area, or know a translator in that area, please stop in and offer assistance. Gracias!

Last edited by a moderator:

Pruden

Pilgrim of life
Camino(s) past & future
October 2012 Camino Francés Sarria /Santiago.
November 2013 Camino Francés
León to Sarria
June 2014 Camino Francés San Juan Pie de Port to Logroño.
November 2016 Camino Frances ,Logroño to León.
I would like to help ! but I live and work in Madrid and is to far for me to get there , but I'm sure someone of the area or passing by would be happy to help with the language or transportation.
But for doctors don't worry because someone would speak English at the hospital.
Even an ambulance would be covered because she is an European citizen .....check with a doctor if he is not in good shape to order an ambulance , again this should be covered!
I hope everything goes all rights for her!
Buen Camino.
Or call her Embassy if she needs any support!

MamaGallina

I am a Spanish professor and I lived in Spain for a year and did the Camino in 2000. I am so sorry about this accident. If I can help with translation via Skype or Google chat, I would be glad to help. I am not a certified translator but I am bilingual.

My email is mamagallinamamacuervo@gmail.com

Sarah Riveros

marjm007

What happened to her? Is she traveling solo? I am from Rochester NY and am on the French. I speak basic Spanish but if I am not to far away I could visit her

CaminoKris2013

Camino(s) past & future
(2014)
I would like to help ! but I live and work in Madrid and is to far for me to get there , but I'm sure someone of the area or passing by would be happy to help with the language or transportation.
But for doctors don't worry because someone would speak English at the hospital.
Even an ambulance would be covered because she is an European citizen .....check with a doctor if he is not in good shape to order an ambulance , again this should be covered!
I hope everything goes all rights for her!
Buen Camino.
Or call her Embassy if she needs any support!
Her last name may be Ireland, but I believe she American and lives in Connecticut (CT).

Sent from my iPhone using Camino de Santiago Forum

Kanga

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Francés x 5, Le Puy x 2, Arles, Tours, Norte, Madrid, Via de la Plata, Portuguese.
What happened to her? Is she traveling solo? I am from Rochester NY and am on the French. I speak basic Spanish but if I am not to far away I could visit her
Please don't interrupt your Camino without getting further information. Suggest you read the last few posts in the thread "injury in Fromista".

It's hard to believe a reasonably sized medical facility in Spain would not have access to someone who can translate.

Additionally there are so many people presently on the Camino that anyone with genuine problems would be overwhelmed with help. I do not believe fellow pilgrims would ignore someone seriously in trouble.

HermanTheGerman

Camino(s) past & future
Frances '13, '14; Portuguese '13, '14, '17, '18; del Salvador '15; Primitivo '15; Mozarabe '16
If she has a smart phone and internet access, she could download Google Translator and then install the Spanish dictionary. Could be a solution in the interim.

wayfarer

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
SJPP-Santiago-Finistera-Muxia. April/May 2012
Sarria-Santiago Sept. 2013
SJPP - Almost Orrison April 2014
There are two apps you can use with a wifi connection.
For Android: Talking Translator.
For Apple: Translator with speech.
I dont know about the apple one but the Android one is great.

Rebekah Scott

Camino Busybody
Camino(s) past & future
Many, various, and continuing.
Hospital Rio Carrion has adequate English-language services, at least in my experience.
The patient has phone numbers of at least two English-speaking camino people in the district, but has chosen not to call them for help.
She is in good hands, and is being prayed-for by all kinds of people of good will. I think "desperate need" is a bit of an overstatement, but who can tell, with so little first-hand information?
St. James is at work here. Patricia is a responsible adult, she has insurance, she has resources galore. She is going to be OK, I am sure.

When I first went to Spain I didn't speak any Spanish but when I ended up in emergency at La Paz Hospital in Madris with a blocked saliva gland the doctor spoke English. When I worked as an English teacher in Sergovia many of the students on our week long residential courses were doctors with intermediate language levels. I'm sure that she will receive excellent care and the language won't be a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

OLDER threads on this topic

Book your lodging here

Booking.com

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 12 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 40 4.5%
  • April

Votes: 136 15.2%
  • May

Votes: 222 24.8%