• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Injured American Pilgrim in Hospital Rio Carrion needs urgent translation help

Status
Not open for further replies.

ParistoCapeCod

"Come on mom this 14k isn't going to walk itself."
Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese, Primitivo, Norte. Hospitalera
[name removed by mod] of CT was injured three days ago and is in hospital. She needs help with translation regarding her care. If you are bilingual English/Spanish and in the area, or know a translator in that area, please stop in and offer assistance. Gracias!

Last edited by a moderator:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I would like to help ! but I live and work in Madrid and is to far for me to get there , but I'm sure someone of the area or passing by would be happy to help with the language or transportation.
But for doctors don't worry because someone would speak English at the hospital.
Even an ambulance would be covered because she is an European citizen .....check with a doctor if he is not in good shape to order an ambulance , again this should be covered!
I hope everything goes all rights for her!
Buen Camino.
Or call her Embassy if she needs any support!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I am a Spanish professor and I lived in Spain for a year and did the Camino in 2000. I am so sorry about this accident. If I can help with translation via Skype or Google chat, I would be glad to help. I am not a certified translator but I am bilingual.

My email is mamagallinamamacuervo@gmail.com

Sarah Riveros

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
What happened to her? Is she traveling solo? I am from Rochester NY and am on the French. I speak basic Spanish but if I am not to far away I could visit her

I would like to help ! but I live and work in Madrid and is to far for me to get there , but I'm sure someone of the area or passing by would be happy to help with the language or transportation.
But for doctors don't worry because someone would speak English at the hospital.
Even an ambulance would be covered because she is an European citizen .....check with a doctor if he is not in good shape to order an ambulance , again this should be covered!
I hope everything goes all rights for her!
Buen Camino.
Or call her Embassy if she needs any support!
Her last name may be Ireland, but I believe she American and lives in Connecticut (CT).

Sent from my iPhone using Camino de Santiago Forum

What happened to her? Is she traveling solo? I am from Rochester NY and am on the French. I speak basic Spanish but if I am not to far away I could visit her

Please don't interrupt your Camino without getting further information. Suggest you read the last few posts in the thread "injury in Fromista".

It's hard to believe a reasonably sized medical facility in Spain would not have access to someone who can translate.

Additionally there are so many people presently on the Camino that anyone with genuine problems would be overwhelmed with help. I do not believe fellow pilgrims would ignore someone seriously in trouble.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If she has a smart phone and internet access, she could download Google Translator and then install the Spanish dictionary. Could be a solution in the interim.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
There are two apps you can use with a wifi connection.
For Android: Talking Translator.
For Apple: Translator with speech.
I dont know about the apple one but the Android one is great.

Hospital Rio Carrion has adequate English-language services, at least in my experience.
The patient has phone numbers of at least two English-speaking camino people in the district, but has chosen not to call them for help.
She is in good hands, and is being prayed-for by all kinds of people of good will. I think "desperate need" is a bit of an overstatement, but who can tell, with so little first-hand information?
St. James is at work here. Patricia is a responsible adult, she has insurance, she has resources galore. She is going to be OK, I am sure.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
When I first went to Spain I didn't speak any Spanish but when I ended up in emergency at La Paz Hospital in Madris with a blocked saliva gland the doctor spoke English. When I worked as an English teacher in Sergovia many of the students on our week long residential courses were doctors with intermediate language levels. I'm sure that she will receive excellent care and the language won't be a problem.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back