• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Injured my Right Hip In Training

Canuck Pilgrim

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2017 Camino Frances
September 2019 Camino Frances
Hi All

I am very discouraged right now as last week , 1 month before I start my Camino I injured my right hip , Si joint area. I have walked over 1000 KM since April getting ready and was doing well. However last week I went on a bike ride with a few steep hills. I am 64 years old and as such AI do not heal as well as before, My Physiotherapist says that it should settle down as does my message therapist and that I have a good chance to be able to still give it a go. My Dr is not aware of it yet as he is on vacation. I am guessing this is part of the Camino experience having injuries both in training and during, My problem is I suffer from Anxiety which makes it worse of course. As I type this I have convinced myself that I cannot do it as the pain is too much. I pray that I can be at Peace regardless of what happens. My Camino has been planned and trained for now since May of 2016 so I have out a lot of my heart and soul into getting ready, I just hope that I can recover in time. Any words of wisdom,

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Agreed with Notion900: put that evil contraption away.

Also, find some guided meditation/breathing excercises/"hip-nosis" ;).

Sorry, could not pass on the "hip" but in all seriousness, these can be useful tools for stree and anxiety.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I am your age and experienced a similar hip issue last year after bicycling uphill on a very steep path while on vacation. I was using so many muscles standing up pedaling and straining to keep in motion. Finally I gave up and finished walking the bike to the top. Next morning one hip was really hurting upon rising. Getting up from a sitting position was very painful for a week, getting in and our of the car, etc. I moved and walked very slowly for at least a week. I recovered fully within about 3 weeks. Lucky for me, it was not yet "Camino season"!

I wish a speedy recovery for you and hope you are able to go on your journey. If not, the Camino path isn't going anywhere and will always be waiting for you.

All of the advice above is sound, but also remember you will be able to walk very short etapas if you need to---and bus ahead if you need to.

Relax now. Have a glass of red wine--that is something you can practice for!

Also, massage that hip gently and remember that sleep is an amazing restorative. In fact, some nights on Camino you'll go to bed wondering how you'll be able to walk the next morning.

Magically, you'll get up and feel pretty good--after the initial stretching around. Then, a cup of coffee and a sunrise will get you on your way.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Great advice from wonderful people. much appreciated. I have 2 more Physio sessions, a Massage and an Acupuncture session all planned in the next 3 weeks before I fly to Bilbao, then another week of rest in Bilbao and Santander before I start walking, I have Hiking poles which should help with stability of the hips and knees. I say a big YES to the glass of Rioja . As a Pilgrim I also say that all is the God's Hands, and to not lose focus as to why I was going in the first place-Afterall it is a Pilgrimage not a sporting race, it is a journey of the Spirit and the Soul. Blessings to all.

Hi All

I am very discouraged right now as last week , 1 month before I start my Camino I injured my right hip , Si joint area. I have walked over 1000 KM since April getting ready and was doing well. However last week I went on a bike ride with a few steep hills. I am 64 years old and as such AI do not heal as well as before, My Physiotherapist says that it should settle down as does my message therapist and that I have a good chance to be able to still give it a go. My Dr is not aware of it yet as he is on vacation. I am guessing this is part of the Camino experience having injuries both in training and during, My problem is I suffer from Anxiety which makes it worse of course. As I type this I have convinced myself that I cannot do it as the pain is too much. I pray that I can be at Peace regardless of what happens. My Camino has been planned and trained for now since May of 2016 so I have out a lot of my heart and soul into getting ready, I just hope that I can recover in time. Any words of wisdom,

Need more information.

So you have two more weeks to get better? Or four?

And you hurt your hip last week?

So how was this week of no training? Some improvement?

In general, pilgrims probably should stop training and rest and relax the last two weeks before travel, at least.

If you can rest for a month, almost all injuries heal.

Hi All

There is an app called "insight timer" on the App Store. Every kind of silent, verbal etc kind of meditation from all kinds including healing and it's free. I'm 72 & will be starting Camino in Sept. buen Camino. Your mind is a strong healer.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Buen Camino, Canuck Pilgrim! You can do this!

There is an app called "insight timer" on the App Store. Every kind of silent, verbal etc kind of meditation from all kinds including healing and it's free. I'm 72 & will be starting Camino in Sept. buen Camino. Your mind is a strong healer.
Thanks Marianna-Yes the mind is indeed a strong healer, and I am doing somewhat better now, with 3 weeks to go I am going to proceed Buen Camino to you as well perhaps we will meet on the trail

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If you've already done 1000km you are more than prepared
Taking this time to heal may actually benefit your body from the use, allowing micro recoveries in areas not even injured.
Though not a sports doctor myself, I'd be willing to bet that taking a couple - few- weeks off will NOT hurt your Camino ( the Camino is not the Tour de France , peaking is not critical) and you may be surprised at how your body bounces even better after rest
Praying your pain and injury heal quickly
Nanc

If you've already done 1000km you are more than prepared
Taking this time to heal may actually benefit your body from the use, allowing micro recoveries in areas not even injured.
Though not a sports doctor myself, I'd be willing to bet that taking a couple - few- weeks off will NOT hurt your Camino ( the Camino is not the Tour de France , peaking is not critical) and you may be surprised at how your body bounces even better after rest
Praying your pain and injury heal quickly
Nanc
Thank you Nanc- You are 100 % correct- I over trained as I was far too engrossed in getting ready physically and as such I injured myself. I am taking the time to heal now as I am physically prepared, all along I have been preparing myself Spiritually and will continue to do so, I am also working out the Mental aspects such as my Anxieties and Fears. I would say that the Camino begins day one of one's decision to go on a Pilgrimage and perhaps never ends.Many thanks for your kind words, Bless you

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! I am starting the Route Frances on May 20 and looking at weather to pick my clothes but also figured I should factor the bug situation into the equation since I don't want to weigh down my...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.