• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Injuries upon return from the camino

givney42

As one who just completed the camino (oct. 3rd). I have returned to my home country with stress fracture in my foot, and IT band syndrome in knee. I'm wondering if others who have walked have experienced similar injuries or conditions from walking for so many miles day after day.

kim

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I had hernia which I did not discover until a year later. Very likely it started during the Camino.

Last year I had a stress fracture in one foot and lost a couple of toe nails. This year I lost a big toe nail and damaged tendons on the top of one foot, however I had no injuries at all for the first 1200 km.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
My partner ended the camino with a severe tendinitis, but that was after 2700 kilometers from home to Finisterre. She discovered that she needed orthopedic inlays to prevent tendinitis in the future and has since not had any problems on long distance walks.

One of the best lessons the Camino teaches us is our limitations.

On my first Camino I rushed out of a bedbug town after a full day's walking, and walked another stage, only to end up with severe shin splints, which nearly ended my walking.

Whose fault was it? My own; for not listening to my body and either stopping or taking a bus/taxi.
We have pain for a reason. It is a warning to stop BEFORE we are injured.

I can't tell you how many pilgrims I met along the way who insisted on continuing instead of resting. Their excuses ran from "I only have "x" number of days," to "I'll just walk it out."
Most ended up going home early.

Better to stop and rest a day or two... bus to a big town and be a tourist... than to go home injured, in my opinion, and from my own experience. I'm not saying that's what happened to the pilgrims in this thread... just that it happens.

This last Camino, I stopped and rested whenever I felt any type of pain. I walked for three months and had a great time.

I met a lovely but very overweight pilgrim whose M.O. was simply to walk until she felt she couldn't walk any longer, whether that was 15 kilometers or only 7. She'd then take a taxi to the next town, with no apologies or regret. I think she was smart. In the end, I saw her in Santiago. She made it, and at the end of her walk was making at least 20 k per day. She knew her limitations, recognized her body's warnings, listened, and acted accordingly... and she made it. By the way, she looked slimmer and much healthier in Santiago as well.

Know your limitations and if you don't know them, learn to listen to your body's signals.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it! :lol:

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.