• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Injury has delayed my Camino, devastating news to me.

Windswept.west

I have just been handed a major setback in the way of an injury. Doctors say that given my age (48), the health of my back and my health in general, that in time I may be able to consider walking the Camino. I advise them that I would accept pushing it back one year to the spring of 2014. They have worked diligently to “lower my expectations”. I know the type of injury, thus I know that healing fast enough (if even possible to meet the date) will cost a great deal and I will likely be financially incapable of making the Camino in 2014.

So now I move ahead into the next chapter. Someone said that the heart has it reasons that the mind can’t comprehend, and that sums up this drive I have to take this really long walk. So I will continue to plan, heal and hopefully walk my Camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
hold on. slow down. Backs actually do get better. They are complicated, but even if they hurt, thet eventually becone strong.

You are 48!! you have years of Caminos in front of you! Get that back strong, take your time, and head out next year, Heck, i have a friend your age who just went from in pain to rowing the Grand Canyon in six months. You can get there too.

I have just been handed a major setback in the way of an injury. Doctors say that given my age (48), the health of my back and my health in general, that in time I may be able to consider walking the Camino. I advise them that I would accept pushing it back one year to the spring of 2014. They have worked diligently to “lower my expectations”. I know the type of injury, thus I know that healing fast enough (if even possible to meet the date) will cost a great deal and I will likely be financially incapable of making the Camino in 2014. <br /><br />So now I move ahead into the next chapter. Someone said that the heart has it reasons that the mind can’t comprehend, and that sums up this drive I have to take this really long walk. So I will continue to plan, heal and hopefully walk my Camino.

I totally understand your frustration. I too have had to move dates and probably will again. I have a chronic condition that creates many issues for me but a major one is that it causes me to have greatly reduced stamina. I can't seem to be able to get out of the "early" planning stages. Like you I spend a good amount on my own care. If I am eventually able to go both financially and physically I know I will take longer than most. Perhaps even up to 50-60 days.

Don't let the docs talk you out of your dream of one day making your Camino. Its up to people in our situation to find a way around or through our impediments. Lets plan on going soon just to prove to the docs and our family and friends that we can, despite their cautions against our dreams.

Tony

Sent from my Android using Tapatalk.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I walked my first Camino at the age of 61and have walked different Caminos every year since then. You have plenty of time, just imagine the frustration you would feel if after coming to Spain and half way up the hill from SJPD your back decides to stop cooperating and sends you home. The Camino taught me that nothing concerning the walk to Santiago ever happens haphazardly, there is a reason for all that occurs-one which we may not see, an underlying purpose which causes one to stop or to move on- which we may not understand, an explanation for things which appear at the time very good or very bad while sometimes and very often this is resolved and our eyes are surprisingly opened– no mysticism it’s a fact, something believed by many who walk.

Dear one be encouraged!
When a fire has been lit in your spirit you must complete it. The trick will be 3 things 1- expect negativity and combat this by placing a team of positive people, music, art, books etc around you. 2- set your own pace, as there is no race, no specific manner or time schedule. 3- have great fun, laugh, find something humorous each day!

I know you can do this!
Buen Camino

I am sorry that you have to delay your Camino and wish you a full and speedy recovery. Your Camino starts when you says it starts--make the healing process part of your Camino. See the Road to Recovery as a stage along The Way.

Buen Camino

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I had to delay my first walk by a year, although it was a parent-health issue rather than my own health. And it was exactly the right thing to do, as it turns out. The Spirit of the Camino has already engaged your life, and it will not turn you loose. Do not fear - trust the road it has set before you.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Pick up your shield of faith and let the darts of doubt hit that! I live just a few grand above the poverty line and just recently went through weeks of doubting and second-guessing, even anger that I would be called to walk the Camino and then have the way blocked. Frustration about money, frustration about work, frustration about being stuck in my life. The conclusion I reached is that I can't give in or give up. There is a spiritual aspect to the Camino that has to be embraced.

I'm not even considering that I should not walk it for my health reasons. I do have some. I have scoliosis of the spine. I'm turning 41 and the S-shaped curve in my spine that I had to wear a brace for as a teen has taken an inch of my height in the last five years. The pain I experience over the years has increased but has actually lessened since I started my training. I started giving in to it in my 30s and quit running because my hips were hurting. (It's amazing what lack of alignment can do throughout the body) Since beginning to walk, I experience none of the old, familiar aches and pains. I have some new ones but I listen to my body and rest when I need it. I've lost weight and I feel better than I have in years.

I am convinced the worst thing I ever did for my condition was become sedentary. I feel better physically now than I have in the last fifteen years. At the same time I know that I won't be walking as fast as some but it's been said over and over all through this forum, it's not a race! Even if it were, I would be in the tortoise category anyway. Speed has never been my thing. Even as a runner, I could do distance before speed. I've also considered doing the Porteguese route because it's shorter, requires less time away from my job and is cheaper. Of course, I wanted to start in France. But maybe that's not how I get to start!! Being open to all the possibilities is part of what prepares our hearts and my way has not always been the best way!

If I had my way, I'd be on pilgrimage RIGHT NOW!!! However, my whole life is a testimony that my timing stinks but God's is perfect. I had a friend who told me over and over "God is seldom early but He is never late." Used to fire my temper right up but the truth is the truth. I don't care if it takes me nine years to get there as long as I get there! I have found this forum to be a refuge for me and it has become a family of kindred spirits who are a constant source of inspiration and encouragement. So I pray for my brothers and sisters who are walking right now and know that when the time is right, I will have my turn. You will too!

Thank you for the outpouring of support. I have not and will not give up on this pilgrimage. Mine will be a bit longer and will be in two parts. The Camino de Lail the way to get healthy so that I can complete the second halve called the Camino de Santiago. I cannot say that I am not disappointed and angry right now. Also I know on some level I am still in denial. The injury was in training. To get some elevation change in my work outs I would cross drainage channels that were not too steep. I lost my footing and tumbled with a day pack of water. In a way its good it happened now as I am sure I will take a similar spill somewhere in Spain. If the injury happened there I would not have doctors that I know & trust. I am sure that they have excellent care in Spain but this may be better for me.

Newfydog – you are correct, we heal, thank you for the reality check. I was in a dark hole. :oops:

Freetime – thinking about this last night this opens up some flexibility to my approach, it will take longer and if I taxi my pack I can lose the sleeping bag and add a set of good shoes to my hiking boots and avoid the whole boot vs. shoe debate. :D I told the doc you get me structurally sound and I will do the rest. He understands my motivation so he is part of the team.

Scruffy1 – I admit I am competitive and was planning a 25 day camino with 3 days of rest/recovery. This approach to this “doing” seems misguided as there is more to the camino than distance & time. I had to look up the word patients for the proper spelling as it is not a word typically hung on me. I have a feeling we will become better acquainted.

Gnhale – I expected a few setbacks but this one was a bit larger than unexpected. But closing doors lead to open doors or even windows.

K-fun – I have to, my healing leads to Santiago.

Kitsambler – the old saying my father gave me was “Trust in God and tie up your horses”. I will assume that this is the trust in God part. :lol:

Lizlane – you are an inspiration. I will also overcome this. There has been the question in the back of my mind for a while now if this is the right time for my pilgrimage. Maybe I have something to learn before the camino. I will say that at his time I am an ungrateful student. That will change though with time and thought.

Thank you again for your words and I believe I will learn a deeper meaning of mantra God’s delays are not God’s denials over the coming months.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Update. My back is healing. Flexibility is returning. Weight tolerance is still low.

I have little concern about taxi shipping my pack. I am on a pilgramige, so I walk. My pack is not and therefor it can ride without moral /spiritual entanglements. :) And if that is the case I will not have to make a some hard decisions. Like packing a nice shirt or not, Boots or shoes and others vexing issues. If I have to own it, I will have some fun with it.

Lail

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back