• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Injury time out

CaminoJoy123

Time of past OR future Camino
Hello good people, I wonder if I could ask you again for some more wonderful wisdom and ideas you all have!

I've just come from the doctor and farmacia. I am supposed to take ten days off. And take two types of daily medicine.

And when I go back to walking, absolutely no more Norte with its mountains. And no more 20k days. Maybe I can work up to a 10k day. So if the knee recovers, I'm allowed to try a few days on the Frances. The medico didn't seem optimistic

So anyway, I'm looking for suggestions on where to go for descansar for ten days. I'd like to keep the costs way down. I was doing donativo albergues before I got hurt. Is €10 a night in a safe and interesting place a possibility in Spain, when you are not a peregrina?

Of course, there is the chance I can't camino at all this year. So maybe I need a place for More than a month. Maybe I can learn Spanish or something with that time. But the next ten days are what I'm looking to figure out first, and optimistically hoping the Frances will be in reach.

Right now I'm in the Castro Urdiales area on Norte. Just left Basque Country.

I'm on a super tiny phone with a pretty crap screen. Sorry but I'm gonna really suck at expert googling and research right now.

And of course I looked at changing my flight and it was about $1,000!

So wise and generous pilgrims, what are your thoughts?

Oh, in case anyone was wondering, for years before I got the camino idea, I was doing six mile days minimum, and 7 days a week. With rucksack was doing 12 miles 3x a week, for maybe three months. Also did an hour of daily pool walking for years. And some easy weightlifting 3x weekly. I'm very fit. What happened is kinda silly, the knee twisted and wrenched a bit when I got out of the top bunk here. It got steadily worse each day. Rest did not help it. So it's just bad luck.

As far as time, I've got plenty. I'm here the whole month of September and part of October.

Wanted to give the quick update. Hope this edit works.

Turns out my accomodation is actually illegal. Their credential stamp is not broken, they are not really supposed to be taking in pilgrims.

There is no temperature control in the room, hardly any water, the beds are really close together, no laundry, Not sure the door locks, garbage doesn't seem to be taken out regularly. Very little lighting. Hard to eat or get organized at the one table on the dark.

So I'm getting sick from the cold room. A headcold with a sore throats.

Currently looking at other places in castro urdiales. But they're mostly booked unless I pay €45 a night.

Also the illegal place won't give me my money back for tonight anyway.

I don't know if you all will see this update. Gradually I figured just stay here for the rest. But now I see the dorm is like tuberculosis.

Hey welcome to the adventure!

Thanks!

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
That really is a shame. Sad it was something so trivial that caused so much pain and inconvenience.

I'd consider taking a bus down to Logrono and checking into an Albergue. With a damaged knee I'm sure you can get 2-3 nights for medical exemption. Then walk/taxi to another Albergue and do the same thing. Burgos is a short bus ride away and you could do there too until the 10 days has passed and hopefully you're ready to resume with short days. Good luck!

That really is a shame. Sad it was something so trivial that caused so much pain and inconvenience.

I'd consider taking a bus down to Logrono and checking into an Albergue. With a damaged knee I'm sure you can get 2-3 nights for medical exemption. Then walk/taxi to another Albergue and do the same thing. Burgos is a short bus ride away and you could do there too until the 10 days has passed and hopefully you're ready to resume with short days. Good luck!

Ok good idea. Should I have asked the doctor for an actual note? Is that required for an extended stay at a popular albergue?

Also I probably won't relocate or move around much for another day or two. It's like a shark took off my leg at the knee lol

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am sorry to hear of your injury, CaminoJoy. I empathize with your frustration in all of the fallout from needing to lay up for a while. My prayers are with you.
Dave

Sorry to hear about your knee and your ordeal. However, that does not stop you from being a pilgrim! Pilgrims will fall ill and need a place to sleep. Castro Urdiales is a great place and the area has some good albergues. Offer to string beans and peel potatoes.... If you can stay for a few nights here, and there, then those 10 days will soon pass. Plus you might return to the same doctor and discuss progress.

I am of course entirely prejudiced. When I was a kid, we spent a summer near Castro Urdiales and I would love to see the area again. The beaches, the castle..... :rolleyes:

Ok good idea. Should I have asked the doctor for an actual note? Is that required for an extended stay at a popular albergue?

Also I probably won't relocate or move around much for another day or two. It's like a shark took off my leg at the knee lol

You know the old saying..."It's better to have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it." :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'm sorry to hear of the injury. If I were in your situation and had been told I would be laid up for ten days or so, with uncertain potential to resume the current style of walking, I think I would get myself to Burgos and explore. Lots to see there, and plenty of accommodations. Walking the Norte' is a bit rougher than the Frances, according to my research. Correct me if I'm wrong, of course.

If you are dead set on continuing the Norte' with this banged up knee, it sounds like you will indeed need all that time left, with much, much shortened routes. Take care of yourself: injuries that aren't looked after can become "lifelong" friends!

Keep us posted, okay?

Rather than take a bed in a pilgrim only albergue for a few days at a time, what about ataying in one of the many albergues that are open to all and anyone? St-Francis in Leon is one, many in Fisterra and on the way to Fisterra.

If you can borrow a tablette from a walking buddy for an hour or so, check the Eroski site. Find an albergue, click on the oragnge button that gives you more details and there you will si if they are solo para peregrinos or cualquier persona.

What a bummer. I had to come home ( had insurance, perhaps you already have one with your credit card?) is spring with a torn meniscus. Amd ot had nothing to do with any training. Don't feel guilty.

Rather than take a bed in a pilgrim only albergue for a few days at a time, what about ataying in one of the many albergues that are open to all and anyone? St-Francis in Leon is one, many in Fisterra and on the way to Fisterra.

If you can borrow a tablette from a walking buddy for an hour or so, check the Eroski site. Find an albergue, click on the oragnge button that gives you more details and there you will si if they are solo para peregrinos or cualquier persona.

What a bummer. I had to come home ( had insurance, perhaps you already have one with your credit card?) is spring with a torn meniscus. Amd ot had nothing to do with any training. Don't feel guilty.

Yes I thought I might feel improper to take a bed from
A walking pilgrim in a pilgrim-only site.

I didn't quite understand what you mean about the eroski site. Can you give a link?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'm sorry to hear of the injury. If I were in your situation and had been told I would be laid up for ten days or so, with uncertain potential to resume the current style of walking, I think I would get myself to Burgos and explore. Lots to see there, and plenty of accommodations. Walking the Norte' is a bit rougher than the Frances, according to my research. Correct me if I'm wrong, of course.

If you are dead set on continuing the Norte' with this banged up knee, it sounds like you will indeed need all that time left, with much, much shortened routes. Take care of yourself: injuries that aren't looked after can become "lifelong" friends!

Keep us posted, okay?

I Cannot continue with the Norte. I will try the Frances after ten days, if the knee gets better.

Yes I thought I might feel improper to take a bed from
A walking pilgrim in a pilgrim-only site.

I didn't quite understand what you mean about the eroski site. Can you give a link?

Sorry, here is the link to the home page for the Frances.

http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/los-caminos-de-santiago/frances/

Here is an example of the first click, taking Leon, and clickong on see all albergue options (not just the two that first appear): http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/etapa-de-el-burgo-ranero-a-leon

Then click on the albergue of your choice: http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/albergue-residencia-fundacion-ademar

To see if it is open to anyone, click on the orange button, "ficha completa" and you get this: http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/albergue-residencia-fundacion-ademar#bloque-informacion

Look for the line "condiciones de admicion" under "plazas". That is where it says "solo peregrino con credencial" or "cualquiera".

Yup, you are no longer a pilgrim in good standing, just an anybody, a cualquiera. :cool:

Since you have a yukky phone, if you have an idea of the area where younwould like to rest, I can look up a few alternatives for you.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Get a note from your medic, saying you need to rest. Go down to Ourense (bus or train): It is the last part of the Via de la Plata, and walk from there when you're ready: It is much more tranquil and not a bed race. You don't need to be in a bed race: You need to rest and recuperate.

Hello good people, I wonder if I could ask you again for some more wonderful wisdom and ideas you all have!

I've just come from the doctor and farmacia. I am supposed to take ten days off. And take two types of daily medicine.

And when I go back to walking, absolutely no more Norte with its mountains. And no more 20k days. Maybe I can work up to a 10k day. So if the knee recovers, I'm allowed to try a few days on the Frances. The medico didn't seem optimistic

So anyway, I'm looking for suggestions on where to go for descansar for ten days. I'd like to keep the costs way down. I was doing donativo albergues before I got hurt. Is €10 a night in a safe and interesting place a possibility in Spain, when you are not a peregrina?

Of course, there is the chance I can't camino at all this year. So maybe I need a place for More than a month. Maybe I can learn Spanish or something with that time. But the next ten days are what I'm looking to figure out first, and optimistically hoping the Frances will be in reach.

I'm on a super tiny phone with a pretty crap screen. Sorry but I'm gonna really suck at expert googling and research right now.

Oh, in case anyone was wondering, for years before I got the camino idea, I was doing six mile days minimum, and 7 days a week. With rucksack was doing 12 miles 3x a week, for maybe three months. Also did an hour of daily pool walking for years. And some easy weightlifting 3x weekly. I'm very fit. What happened is kinda silly, the knee twisted and wrenched a bit when I got out of the top bunk here. It got steadily worse each day. Rest did not help it. So it's just bad luck.

As far as time, I've got plenty. I'm here the whole month of September and part of October.

Thanks!
Apply to work as a volunteer in an Albergue is a possibility depending on your physical limitations is maybe an option, thoughts on this people?

Sorry to hear about your knee and your ordeal. However, that does not stop you from being a pilgrim! Pilgrims will fall ill and need a place to sleep. Castro Urdiales is a great place and the area has some good albergues. Offer to string beans and peel potatoes.... If you can stay for a few nights here, and there, then those 10 days will soon pass. Plus you might return to the same doctor and discuss progress.

I am of course entirely prejudiced. When I was a kid, we spent a summer near Castro Urdiales and I would love to see the area again. The beaches, the castle..... :rolleyes:

I agree, this place is nice and it has a beach. Tomorrow I will see how the water might help heal the knee.

The places on camino Frances don't have the beach.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Get a note from your medic, saying you need to rest. Go down to Ourense (bus or train): It is the last part of the Via de la Plata, and walk from there when you're ready: It is much more tranquil and not a bed race. You don't need to be in a bed race: You need to rest and recuperate.

You've hit on something really smart. I can't do the bed race. I can barely walk.

Ourense on via de la plata is worth checking out. Great idea.

Apply to work as a volunteer in an Albergue is a possibility depending on your physical limitations is maybe an option, thoughts on this people?
When my sciatica started acting up this spring on VDLP, I contacted Rebekah and told her that if this continued I would be free for about 4 weeks of hospying. But that went away ... and my meniscus tore.

While doing chores in an albergue with sciatica would have been unplesant, time with sciatica would have been unpleasant even sitting on the front porch sipping tea. The torn meniscus? Well I suppose it depends on the duties of a hopsy in each albergue. Some do it all: greeting, cleaning, cooking. That would not have happened on one leg. All I would have been able to do is smile pretty, stamp a credencial and wave in the direction of the bedrooms. And while that is all that is required of some hospies, I don't think anyone would have wanted anyone getting in the way the rest of time as I would have just post injury, requiring help myself.

I took full advantage of my travel insurance and flew home to sit on the porch sipping iced tea with my dogs. At least I wasn't a burden on already busy people.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
When my sciatica started acting up this spring on VDLP, I contacted Rebekah and told her that if this continued I would be free for about 4 weeks of hospying. But that went away ... and my meniscus tore.

While doing chores in an albergue with sciatica would have been unplesant, time with sciatica would have been unpleasant even sitting on the front porch sipping tea. The torn meniscus? Well I suppose it depends on the duties of a hopsy in each albergue. Some do it all: greeting, cleaning, cooking. That would not have happened on one leg. All I would have been able to do is smile pretty, stamp a credencial and wave in the direction of the bedrooms. And while that is all that is required of some hospies, I don't think anyone would have wanted anyone getting in the way the rest of time as I would have just post injury, requiring help myself.

I took full advantage of my travel insurance and flew home to sit on the porch sipping iced tea with my dogs. At least I wasn't a burden on already busy people.

So you can relate to the problem!

I don't have travel insurance. It's great you were able to use its benefits though.

When I applied for travel insurance the quotes were always much more expensive than the cost of the flight.

And my credit card doesn't offer it either.

I think, I really don't want to go back home just yet anyway. I want to give this a chance to heal. Then shuffle along on camino at my own pace.

For me, In a way, the injury is part of the journey.

Thanks!
Hi CJ,

After you're back on your feet and on your way, you might want to try something that I used on my first Camino (Frances) last year. I walked the 800kms. My legs got very stiff and sore and I ended up with a nasty case of plantar fasciitis, but my knees had some help and they were fine all the way. Every day I used a Mueller knee strap on each knee. They stretch (velcro adjustable) across the patella tendon below the knee and help to keep it in place as well as prevent twisting. They are a preventative gizmo so I expect they might be pretty uncomfortable on a knee that's recently twisted. They felt a bit tight when I put them on each morning but I very soon forgot I was wearing them.

By the end of long days, especially after long descents along rutted gullys filled with round rocking stones, I'm very glad I had my knee straps on and that I had my walking poles to share some of the load, cushion shocks, and for extra stability which helped to avoid twisting.

Buen Camino, - Mike

Thanks!
In 2013, when I injured my knee, I hung out in Logrono to rest up. I found a hostel quite near the cathedral ( in a building that used to be a bank, I believe). Close to restaurants and other services, it was reasonable and easily accessible with my crutches. It had a main floor washroom for the disabled that was terrific! After my recovery, I restarted at Burgos, and walked about 5 km each day for the first couple of days... worked well, and we always got beds, since we arrived early!!

Hi CJ,

After you're back on your feet and on your way, you might want to try something that I used on my first Camino (Frances) last year. I walked the 800kms. My legs got very stiff and sore and I ended up with a nasty case of plantar fasciitis, but my knees had some help and they were fine all the way. Every day I used a Mueller knee strap on each knee. They stretch (velcro adjustable) across the patella tendon below the knee and help to keep it in place as well as prevent twisting. They are a preventative gizmo so I expect they might be pretty uncomfortable on a knee that's recently twisted. They felt a bit tight when I put them on each morning but I very soon forgot I was wearing them.

By the end of long days, especially after long descents along rutted gullys filled with round rocking stones, I'm very glad I had my knee straps on and that I had my walking poles to share some of the load, cushion shocks, and for extra stability which helped to avoid twisting.

Buen Camino, - Mike

Ok so I think it's my ACL ligament that is damaged. And there is fluid in the joint or compartment or something. And I am "antigua" lol.

The strap looks great, and I'm glad it worked for you. It's not clear to me exactly which of the ligaments it's supporting. Do you know?

Also I've not seen this in las farmacias en España

Thanks!

Hey I'm adding another question to my original...

In USA we have Walmart. What store in Spain sells beach cbairs similar to those depicted in the image I tried to upload?

One type of chair has really short legs. And usually the back reclines.

The other is usually called a lounge chair for the beach. It's in three sections that fold. It's different from the chair becaus it's got a foot section.

Typically these chairs are super lightweight. And at Walmart they're $10, maybe less?

What store would I go to to buy this in Spain for my forced descansar ?

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_1431.JPG
    IMG_1431.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
In 2013, when I injured my knee, I hung out in Logrono to rest up. I found a hostel quite near the cathedral ( in a building that used to be a bank, I believe). Close to restaurants and other services, it was reasonable and easily accessible with my crutches. It had a main floor washroom for the disabled that was terrific! After my recovery, I restarted at Burgos, and walked about 5 km each day for the first couple of days... worked well, and we always got beds, since we arrived early!!

Ok this is excellent information!

Way to persevere.

How did you feel about the down time, meaning, waiting in line at the albergues, when you get there early?

Again, thanks for explaining how you did it!

I agree, this place is nice and it has a beach. Tomorrow I will see how the water might help heal the knee.

The places on camino Frances don't have the beach.

You have every reason to be disappointed, yet here I am daydreaming: Oooh ten days in Castro Urdiales, ten days in Castro Urdiales .... and not one hurry in the world...

I know that in your situation, I'd be looking for solutions too, wanting to solve the problem and so on. DO something. Make something HAPPEN. Walk or at least move against all odds. And so on. But sometimes, the problem has already solved itself and what we see as the problem is in fact the solution.

Enjoy your time at the beach! who knows where it will take you... :):)

Ok so I think it's my ACL ligament that is damaged. And there is fluid in the joint or compartment or something. And I am "antigua" lol.

The strap looks great, and I'm glad it worked for you. It's not clear to me exactly which of the ligaments it's supporting. Do you know?

Also I've not seen this in las farmacias en España
I wouldn't think of using it until you're healed. As I understand it, the strap stretches across the ACL and helps to hold it in place. It's purely preventative. I spoke with the owner of Caminoteca (a hiking gear shop) in Pamplona when I dropped in there on the way by. I told him about the Mueller straps I was wearing. He was familiar with them but sold larger support braces which everyone was more interested in. He thought that the straps were better as a preventative but they weren't popular so he didn't stock them. The simple straps look a bit odd and the wrap-around supports look as though they would do the job but they are meant to be worn as a support for the whole knee joint after it has been weakened. I saw a few people during my camino who were wearing the full stretchy knee support after they'd damaged a knee.

Maybe you would find that the extra support from a large stretchy knee brace would help you after you've healed a bit. Then you could try the knee strap on your next camino after you've finished healing. I expect you'll find the larger stretchy braces for sale in farmacias or hiking gear stores. I bought my knee straps on Ebay.

Mike

What store in Spain sells beach cbairs similar to those depicted in the image I tried to upload?.
My best guess would be the huge Carrefour stores you see on outskirts of large towns. I think they call the, hypermercados. But you would probably have to get to Santander, or back to Bilbao to find one. But I can't imagine you lugging this thing back and forth on one foot.

Considering where you are located, I am wondering if the albergue in Guemes might not take you in for a few days. It is huge, over 100 beds. And it has little cabbins on the main level, where the washrooms and dining room are. It normally has a large group of hospies, large grounds and a library and chapel for you not to be stepping on people's toes as they prepare for a new wave of walkers each day. They can give you a sack of potatoes to peel while you sit in the yard I'm sure.

It is private, but donativo, built in the family property of the priest who owns it.

Here is the info:
http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/albergue-la-cabana-del-abuelo-peuto

A selection of Camino Jewellery
My best guess would be the huge Carrefour stores you see on outskirts of large towns. I think they call the, hypermercados. But you would probably have to get to Santander, or back to Bilbao to find one. But I can't imagine you lugging this thing back and forth on one foot.

Considering where you are located, I am wondering if the albergue in Guemes might not take you in for a few days. It is huge, over 100 beds. And it has little cabbins on the main level, where the washrooms and dining room are. It normally has a large group of hospies, large grounds and a library and chapel for you not to be stepping on people's toes as they prepare for a new wave of walkers each day. They can give you a sack of potatoes to peel while you sit in the yard I'm sure.

It is private, but donativo, built in the family property of the priest who owns it.

Here is the info:

Wow that's really great information! Thank you!

Guemes is a good lead! The library sounds relaxing. The grounds sound relaxing. I wonder what bus line that would be from here.

Carrefour store is nothing I know at all. Santander trip sounds do-able, but I don't know. Bilbao is far! Schlepping a beach chair on a bus?! Don't know if it's possible in my state.

Regarding carrying a chair by hand, I would just use it for the ten days if I stayed here in castro urdiales.

It's maybe 30-45 minutes or more for me to walk to the beach or park. I can sit in a chair comfortably there. This morning I just sat on my pack towel near the beach and it wasn't so great. The sea is actually quite cold and feels good on the knee. Wasn't expecting that benefit.

I can't slreally sit around and relax at the private hostel dorm here. It's hard to explain the layout of the place. There is no place for a chair outside. And no good place indoors. There is nothing inside, not even a table. It's just a place for sleeping and showering.

Anyway, so if I rest here in castro urdiales, it has to be at the park or beach.

You have every reason to be disappointed, yet here I am daydreaming: Oooh ten days in Castro Urdiales, ten days in Castro Urdiales .... and not one hurry in the world...

I know that in your situation, I'd be looking for solutions too, wanting to solve the problem and so on. DO something. Make something HAPPEN. Walk or at least move against all odds. And so on. But sometimes, the problem has already solved itself and what we see as the problem is in fact the solution.

Enjoy your time at the beach! who knows where it will take you... :):)

I'm in pain. I'm way off on my camino timetable. I'm worried about the cash for private hostels instead of donativos. It's kind of embarrassing to be the one who's injured and left behind. I don't know if I will actually be able to finish a camino this year. And yet...

I'm in a marvelous place in Spain, on the beach! Tourists actually pay to deliberately come here, and not for camino. This morning at the beach I was listening to people speak Spanish for hours. And the cold ocean water is good for the knee. And there is a park nearby with grass if I want shade instead of the sea and the sun.

As I was walking back to the hostel I saw a bunch of people on camino, passing me in pairs, or solo. Passing the beach. Passing the town. Passing all the families. Passing all the tourists. Passing the vendors. Passing me. They're missing everything! They're walking so fast and I'm not.

Yes it sucks to be injured but what a beautiful place to recuperate!

I'm in pain. I'm way off on my camino timetable. I'm worried about the cash for private hostels instead of donativos. It's kind of embarrassing to be the one who's injured and left behind. I don't know if I will actually be able to finish a camino this year. And yet...

I'm in a marvelous place in Spain, on the beach! Tourists actually pay to deliberately come here, and not for camino. This morning at the beach I was listening to people speak Spanish for hours. And the cold ocean water is good for the knee. And there is a park nearby with grass if I want shade instead of the sea and the sun.

As I was walking back to the hostel I saw a bunch of people on camino, passing me in pairs, or solo. Passing the beach. Passing the town. Passing all the families. Passing all the tourists. Passing the vendors. Passing me. They're missing everything! They're walking so fast and I'm not.

Yes it sucks to be injured but what a beautiful place to recuperate!

Now, that's the spirit! I think that one of the hallmarks of being grateful is actually realizing one's blessings, especially when expectations or plans are "ruined" in some unpredictably predictable way.

You have so much to appreciate as you heal, and it sounds like the water is wonderful on that leg.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Now, that's the spirit! I think that one of the hallmarks of being grateful is actually realizing one's blessings, especially when expectations or plans are "ruined" in some unpredictably predictable way.

You have so much to appreciate as you heal, and it sounds like the water is wonderful on that leg.
Just arrived in Castro. My husband and I are at Pension La Mar. We are both physical therapists. If we can help let us know.

Just arrived in Castro. My husband and I are at Pension La Mar. We are both physical therapists. If we can help let us know.
That is so lovely. I was reading down in the hope that an angel would appear. I wish I could offer you accommodation but I am not in Spain. I know Castro Urdiales somewhat, and it is indeed a great place to have an enforced rest. There is an albergue in Bilbao run by some priests. Maybe they would have something for you to do till you can move on. I will look it up and if I find them, I will post the contact details. Sorry for your trouble, but it is for a reason. Maybe Pilar and her husband have already sorted you out!

There is an albergue at Laredo which charges just 10€ per night and is not exclusively for pilgrims. It also takes bookings. (Links are to the albergue and also to the map to show where Laredo is.) Maybe that would help you out. It need not cost you much more then than contributing to the donativo would.
For a chair I would look in a 'ferreteria' (ironmongers) or a bazaar (China shop). They might have something lightweight and cheap.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Albergues
Albergue de peregrinos de Barakaldo

Polideportivo de Gorostiza
Barrio de Gorostiza s/n
16 Plazas
DONATIVO
Apertura de 5 de Junio a 30 de Setiembre
Horario de 15.00 a 22.00 Horas
Albergue de peregrinos de Portugalete

Dirección: Polideportivo Zubi Alde entrada por Calle Pedro Heredia
Localidad: Portugalete
Albergue habilitado en los meses de Junio, Julio, Agosto y Septiembre en el Polideportivo Zubi Alde entrada por calle Pedro Heredia. Disponen de credenciales.

Disponibilidad del albergue: En 2015 del 1 de junio al 31 de septiembre
Precio: Donativo
Plazas
Plazas totales: 30
Nº de plazas en litera: 30
Descripción de habitaciones: 1 sala y 1 habitación
Reserva de plaza en el albergue: No
Condiciones de admisión para acceder al albergue: Peregrino con credencial
Hora de apertura: 15:00
Hora de cierre: 22:00
Posibilidad de salir o no cuando se cierra: No

Albergue de peregrinos en Bilbao
bilbao

22 plazas
Parte trasera de la parroquia de Santa Cruz de Begoña
Barrio de la Cruz, frente al número 21
En el mismo camino, 250m. después de pasar la basílica de Begoña y a 50m antes de bajar las escaleras a Bilbao (Calzadas de Mallona)
DONATIVO
Apertura de 15 a 22 horas

E-mail: info@caminobizkaia.net

CONTACTO:
+34 94 679 20 99
+34 687 529 606
+34 687 529 627

Thanks!

It sounds like you tore a meniscus, and it may not heal on it's own with just rest. Can you get to a bigger city, see an orthopedist, and have an MRI to determine if you need surgery in order to heal? If you don't have insurance to cover this, learning Spanish is a great goal.

Joy, I'm so sorry.
We all say to ourselves and others to expect the unexpected but this kind of Camino 'curve ball' isn't the kind of unexpected anyone wants. But you seem to have caught it well.

There's a lot of good advice here. And good that you have stopped rather than pushing on.
If it were me I'd be taking Pilar up on her offer, and avail myself of the cool sea as much as possible. Wait a bit and if there's improvement, you'll do one thing, if not, another. Patience is key.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Are you still in town? I'm headed over there. Turns out my current accomodation is actually illegal?!

It sounds like you tore a meniscus, and it may not heal on it's own with just rest. Can you get to a bigger city, see an orthopedist, and have an MRI to determine if you need surgery in order to heal? If you don't have insurance to cover this, learning Spanish is a great goal.

My American insurance trip old me
BEFkre I left they will notncover it.

It is not a torn meniscus at this point.

Albergues
Albergue de peregrinos de Barakaldo

Polideportivo de Gorostiza
Barrio de Gorostiza s/n
16 Plazas
DONATIVO
Apertura de 5 de Junio a 30 de Setiembre
Horario de 15.00 a 22.00 Horas
Albergue de peregrinos de Portugalete

Dirección: Polideportivo Zubi Alde entrada por Calle Pedro Heredia
Localidad: Portugalete
Albergue habilitado en los meses de Junio, Julio, Agosto y Septiembre en el Polideportivo Zubi Alde entrada por calle Pedro Heredia. Disponen de credenciales.

Disponibilidad del albergue: En 2015 del 1 de junio al 31 de septiembre
Precio: Donativo
Plazas
Plazas totales: 30
Nº de plazas en litera: 30
Descripción de habitaciones: 1 sala y 1 habitación
Reserva de plaza en el albergue: No
Condiciones de admisión para acceder al albergue: Peregrino con credencial
Hora de apertura: 15:00
Hora de cierre: 22:00
Posibilidad de salir o no cuando se cierra: No

Albergue de peregrinos en Bilbao
bilbao

22 plazas
Parte trasera de la parroquia de Santa Cruz de Begoña
Barrio de la Cruz, frente al número 21
En el mismo camino, 250m. después de pasar la basílica de Begoña y a 50m antes de bajar las escaleras a Bilbao (Calzadas de Mallona)
DONATIVO
Apertura de 15 a 22 horas

E-mail: info@caminobizkaia.net

CONTACTO:
+34 94 679 20 99
+34 687 529 606
+34 687 529 627

Ok so you're saying they wouldn't let me stay extra? Because I did not get the doctor note after all. It's now the weekend and I don't even know what doctor I saw. I still have the prescription orders I think.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Sorry, here is the link to the home page for the Frances.

http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/los-caminos-de-santiago/frances/

Here is an example of the first click, taking Leon, and clickong on see all albergue options (not just the two that first appear): http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/etapa-de-el-burgo-ranero-a-leon

Then click on the albergue of your choice: http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/albergue-residencia-fundacion-ademar

To see if it is open to anyone, click on the orange button, "ficha completa" and you get this: http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/albergue-residencia-fundacion-ademar#bloque-informacion

Look for the line "condiciones de admicion" under "plazas". That is where it says "solo peregrino con credencial" or "cualquiera".

Yup, you are no longer a pilgrim in good standing, just an anybody, a cualquiera. :cool:

Since you have a yukky phone, if you have an idea of the area where younwould like to rest, I can look up a few alternatives for you.

Im sorry to be a pain, I've been using Gronze. Eroski reminds me of the grocery store. So I was confused. Do you think this site is truly better or different compared to Gronze?

My go to has always been Eroski, just because I learned about Gronze years later. Gronze has the advantage of showing all sorts of accomodations, not just albergues.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Here is the info:

I called this place in Güemes. They seem nice. They have to meet and think it over. They asked me to call back Sunday morning.

I've got a head cold and cough going. There is some type of ventilation / air flow/ temperature control issue at the present hostel. Wonder if that's partly why it's illegal.

Fingers crossed, hope they take me in. And hope the bus can deliver me safely.

The pensions in castro urdiales are unaffordable for the remainder of the ten days. But they also are mostly booked even if I wanted respite for a day or two.

There is an albergue at Laredo which charges just 10€ per night and is not exclusively for pilgrims. It also takes bookings. (Links are to the albergue and also to the map to show where Laredo is.) Maybe that would help you out. It need not cost you much more then than contributing to the donativo would.
For a chair I would look in a 'ferreteria' (ironmongers) or a bazaar (China shop). They might have something lightweight and cheap.

Laredo sounds like a great backup if Guemes falls thru. Thanks.

Hey Alex Walker, lots of questions for you. The people at the tourist office in castro urdiales tell me the via de la plata is compwtely different from the camino. They said it's not a spiritual walk and goes southbound away from Santiago.

Do you think they are thinking of some other section of plata?

From ourense it's really a flat camino north to Santiago right?

Editing here because I'm checking it out in Gronze. this route has a mountain that's 800 meters! I think that's way more challenging than what lies ahead on El Norte!

Unfortunately I can not do hills, particularly downhill.

Were you thinking of something else?

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hey Alex Walker, lots of questions for you. The people at the tourist office in castro urdiales tell me the via de la plata is compwtely different from the camino. They said it's not a spiritual walk and goes southbound away from Santiago.

Do you think they are thinking of some other section of plata?

From ourense it's really a camino north to Santiago right?
Hey, CJ,

Have no fear. The Via de la Plata (VdlP) goes from Seville in the south to Santiago in the North. It is a long walk (1005 kms) and is often called the Camino Duro, the southmost part is in Andalucia, and then you come into Extremadura (extremely hard). But Ourense is way north; it is some 110 kms from Santiago. It is easy and peaceful walking, without too many walkers. You should not be in a bed race at all; take your time, let your feet relax, smell the flowers.

When I walked in 2013 (my guidebook is from 2011), I had no problems finding accomodation. The distances between willages are small, so no prob. with refreshments. I hope that forum members who have walked later than me can chime in for more info. But since you obviously have Internet access, here are a few links for you:

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/categories/via-de-la-plata.42/
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/vía-de-la-plata-sanabrés-walking-accommodation-guide.408/

"Camino Sanabres" is often used to name the route from Ourense to SdC (Santiago de Compostela). There is a crossing point further south that sends you to Astorga, but you don't want that, right...;)

It is a peaceful walk, as said. The complete stretch, though, is quite tough (in the beginning from south in Seville, there are some stretches with absolutely nothing for 40 kms(!)), and I swore to myself: "Never again!" And now I am contemplating it for next spring...

Got a bit long here, but had to check my guidebook as well as giving you as useful info as I could/possess. I am sure there are both buses & trains from Sarria to Ourense, and I bet several/day.

Good luck with your healing and continuation!

Ultreia & Sureia! (Onwards & Upwards!/Move on and be Uplifted!)

Edit:

The people at the tourist office in castro urdiales tell me the via de la plata is compwtely different from the camino. They said it's not a spiritual walk and goes southbound away from Santiago.
Bullshit. I should go there and take their jobs. :)

Last edited:
Hey, CJ,

Have no fear. The Via de la Plata (VdlP) goes from Seville in the south to Santiago in the North. It is a long walk (1005 kms) and is often called the Camino Duro, the southmost part is in Andalucia, and then you come into Extremadura (extremely hard). But Ourense is way north; it is some 110 kms from Santiago. It is easy and peaceful walking, without too many walkers. You should not be in a bed race at all; take your time, let your feet relax, smell the flowers.

When I walked in 2013 (my guidebook is from 2011), I had no problems finding accomodation. The distances between willages are small, so no prob. with refreshments. I hope that forum members who have walked later than me can chime in for more info. But since you obviously have Internet access, here are a few links for you:

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/categories/via-de-la-plata.42/
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/vía-de-la-plata-sanabrés-walking-accommodation-guide.408/

"Camino Sanabres" is often used to name the route from Ourense to SdC (Santiago de Compostela). There is a crossing point further south that sends you to Astorga, but you don't want that, right...;)

It is a peaceful walk, as said. The complete stretch, though, is quite tough (in the beginning from south in Seville, there are some stretches with absolutely nothing for 40 kms(!)), and I swore to myself: "Never again!" And now I am contemplating it for next spring...

Got a bit long here, but had to check my guidebook as well as giving you as useful info as I could/possess. I am sure there are both buses & trains from Sarria to Ourense, and I bet several/day.

Good luck with your healing and continuation!

Ultreia & Sureia! (Onwards & Upwards!/Move on and be Uplifted!)

Edit:

Bullshit. I should go there and take their jobs. :)

Sorry what about the 800 meter mountain? I'm really confused. It's the stage right after ourense.

Gronze rates this difficulty level four out of five. I cannot even do three out of five.

https://www.gronze.com/etapa/cea/lalin

Something is way off.

Edit.
Here is where the la plata stages are described.

https://www.gronze.com/via-plata

From ourense there are several stages with mountains much more difficult than the Norte. im injured and need Flat walking.

Can you find the flat path you're talking about on Gronze? I can't.

Also, do you see how to get to the elevation profile, under the map of each stage?

Last edited:
Looking back after most of the climb out of Ourense the road sign indicates that it was a 19% grade, about one foot up for every five feet forward:
upload_2017-9-2_15-15-41.png

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Sorry what about the 800 meter mountain? I'm really confused. It's the stage right after ourense.
800 m. is not a mountain in my world. It is called a hill. But I remember that climb: It takes time and some breaks to breathe.

Last edited:

Here is the info:

Hey this has been a terrific lead! Thank you so much! güemes was sorta close, you're right. Took all day but I made it to the albergue. It's big and yes they're taking me in.

800 m. is not a mountain in my world. It is called a hill. But I remember that climb: It takes time and some breaks to breathe.

Thanks for explaining about this route.

Actually this is a thread about an injury that has me sidelined for ten days. When I return to hiking, it's gotta be on flat surfac and only for about 10k daily. So I can't do the path from ourense this year.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks for explaining about this route.

Actually this is a thread about an injury that has me sidelined for ten days. When I return to hiking, it's gotta be on flat surfac and only for about 10k daily. So I can't do the path from ourense this year.
I am relieved and happy for you. Now you can feel safe. And that will help your healing.

Can we have a sitrep [situation report] from Camino Joy? How are you doing? Thanks, y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

Hola! Gracias por ayudarme!

After descansar at Güemes I took a bus to Camino Frances and have been walking much shorter days on flat terrain.

The knee is weak but maybe it will build strength over time. Editing this to say I'm still taking the prescriptions from the doctor too.

Basically I'm continuing on!

Guemes is filled with terrific and understanding people. I literally laid in bed with my feet in the air against the wall for a few days.

Maybe some time in the future I can go back and volunteer there.

Thanks for all the fabulous suggestions from the terrific folks on this forum!!!

Wonderful news. Take care and Buen Camino.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.