• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Inner socks/

Chip

Hi again from Mollymook NSW

Gee I might be having a very blond moment :lol: but I can't seem to find anything about the inner socks that are often mentioned by pilgrims on the forum. Would someone point me in the right direction please? I'd like to try them with my boot/hikesock combination while I'm in training.

thanks
Chip

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
they're lightweight socks that you wear under the heavier hiking socks. They're also called "liner socks" or "wicking socks." You want the ones that will wick the moisture away from your feet. Any sporting goods store worth the name will know what you're talking about. :D

Kelly

Hi Chip,
As Kelly says most good sports stores sell them, but some are better than others.
We use Rohan inner and hot socks. Wicking, flat toe seams - so no rubbing, and quick drying.
The only difference between the women's and the men's is the sizes. I have put the links to both so you can read about them before looking in the stores. If you cannot find anything similar locally they will ship I think.
Womens liner socks
Mens liner socks

Happy walking
Tia Valeria

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Some inner socks are made of polypropalene fibre.
This plastic will last for more than 1000 years so if you die with your socks on, archeologists will know that you were a pilgrim.

David, Victoria, Canada

Hi Chip

You live in a wonderful part of the world. Do you get to play on that hill-top golf course?

If you need any advice on hiking gear, you can always ask at Kathmandu, Paddy Palin or Mountain Designs stores next time you are in Canberra. The staff in the stores are experienced travellers, and the stores are situated quite close to each other.

Alan.

Be Brave. Life is joyous

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I used a Bridgedale summerweight woollen sock together with a Bridgedale liner, and the combo worked well for me. Whatever brand you buy, I think the theory about friction occurring between sock and liner, rather than directly onto your feet, works. I only had blisters at one point in a journey of nearly three months, and that was after my feet had been saturated for three days when walking on the track was like walking down rivers. I didn't use vaseline or any of the other protections that some people use: I found that sock + liner seemed to work for me.
Margaret

thank you all for your input; I know it is a boy thing! not finding socks that is. But when I looked up some of your references I found the 'correct" term is "liner" not inner, there you go.

I now have something else to test as I prepare; how did they do it pre technology?

thanks again
chip

Thanks Falcon for the sierratrading post link. I have Smart wool summer hiking socks and its been suggested to get liner socks to avoid blisters. One question though: the socks you "linked" to were thermal liner socks. Are those socks you referenced appropriate for June-July hiking?
Grazie!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Nandy61 said:
Thanks Falcon for the sierratrading post link. I have Smart wool summer hiking socks and its been suggested to get liner socks to avoid blisters. One question though: the socks you "linked" to were thermal liner socks. Are those socks you referenced appropriate for June-July hiking?
Grazie!
The Rohan socks in our post above are 'wicking' socks. Warm in winter cool in summer. Weight about 25gm, very quick drying. 2 pairs would do, I think, in summer although Terry took 3 so he could rinse them out every day. Didn't need to wash the outer socks as they were mohair
Happy walking Nandy
Tia Valeria

i havent finally settled into a sock combination
although the inner/outer 2 sock thing sounds good
so i walked on the mountain this morning in a new sock set-up
mohair outer
with a falke 'secret sock' inner
and it felt good - no blisters
but i cannot see what sort of material the inner is made of

help please - what materials should be avoided for inners
somebody mentioned cotton

?is this true

take it easy

tamtamplin

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
>>help please - what materials should be avoided for inners
somebody mentioned cotton

Absolutely no cotton inners or outters.

I had mistaken wore cotton inners and had blisters upon blisters everyday of my walk until one day I decided to do away with my inners. Cotton soak up the sweat, and remains soaked. My poor feet paid dearly for my carelessness.

thanks RestlessRose
ive heard talk about socks that 'wick away' the moisture
?how would i know whether my socks do this
?will the inners remain dry
?what will the packaging say

tamtamplin

The liners that I bought stated on the pack that they wicked away moisture. I did buy an expensive brand (Bridgedale), but I figured it was more important to have good shoes and socks than worry about spending money on expensive outdoor clothing. If you ask in a good outdoor shop, they should be able to show you 'wicking' liners.
Margaret

€46,-
I just had wicking socks, which were quickdrying also. On my first Camino I had thick socks and got the odd blister, the wicking socks fitted like a glove and I had no problems at all. You just have to try what works for you. I used inner socks once but got too hot. gitti

I found that after about half way (300 miles or so) my Bridgedale liners stretched a bit. It didn't cause blisters, just slight discomfort. Next time I do a similar distance I will try to organise new ones part way through - which brings back childhood memories of John Noakes posting himself new socks on long walks!

Andy

!now theres a thing
?do you ned to 'walk in' your sox or should they be new
i hadnt considered that sox would stretch
so yip, i guess posting a new set to yourseft might work
?how bout just carrying an extra set, and then discarding the stretched set

take it easy

tamtamplin

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Andy, I never noticed my liners stretched so as to be uncomfortable, though they certainly look well worn now. I guess that after some 1500km they are allowed to be, and I will buy new ones if/when I embark on another long walk!
I did have three pairs of socks, and kept changing between two pairs for walking, sometimes drying off the second pair on the outside of my pack as I walked in the first pair. The third pair I kept just for 'after walking', as it was still cold when I began mid-April, and my sandles were not warm enough on their own when I shed my often muddy walking shoes at the end of the walking day. For ages, this 'after walking' pair was my piece of absolute sheer luxury in my pack, as they had not been laundered and remained soft and gorgeous to wear. But then one day I washed them in error, and they were not quite the same after that!!
Margaret

Maybe they stretched because of my laundering technique! I took three pairs of inners and outers. The outers survived well - I'm still using two pairs of them now.

Tamtamplin - personally I would try out everything I take on the Camino at least once before I go to make sure there is no problem with it.

Andy

thanks andy.d
absolutely - trying out prior to the real thing is imperative
it's quite fun reading the different advice and then actually trying it out
spose what matters most is the mental confidence in a particular setup
like any of the components of kit setup - lacing, pack, water etc i want to feel comfy and to mentally know that over a number of practice walks i can focus not on the physical, but on the mental side without distracting distressors
and after all, its your own personal experience
the guy walking next to me with exactly the same setup could have a totally different camino
isnt life beautiful

tamtamplin

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.