• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Inside line on flights from USA to Europe

Time of past OR future Camino
2006 to date: Over 21 Caminos. See signature line
I thought it might be nice to have a place where people can post information they may find on "inexpensive" airfare from the USA to Europe.

So far, I haven't been able to find a flight I can offord in the Fall.
I expect I'll wait and get a standby flight for very little.

However, I'm surprised with oil dropping off to $30/barrel, the price of flights remain at the $160/barrel prices. I wonder if they'll go down in the Spring?

Anyway.. if you hear of any good deals, post them here! Thanks!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Airlines don't start posting "deals" until at least 6 months out. However, even when oil was lower, my flights to Madrid were just under $1000 all in. Unfortunately, those fares are here to stay, I think, so I'm planning on cooking most of my meals instead of dining in restaurants & staying in the municipal & donativo albergues as a way to cut costs.

And thanks to Ivar, I'll be able to save a trip to the post office when I get to Spain by mailing my going home clothes before i leave. :mrgreen:

dg

I found that the cost has gone down for us - but it is not the fare itself, rather it is in the aoirport taxes, which for some odd reason is affected by the cost of oil, (and also our dollar). You think your ticket is expensive - It has cost me just over $3,000 (au) - of which there were around 800 - 900 in taxes! A good reason to stay over there for as long as possible - the trouble is only 90 days are allowed!

Cheers, Janet

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I found the cheapest way to get there was through Ireland.... Chicago to Dublin.... 652.00 TOTAL. Then a jump over to Spain around 65. Orbitz.com is the best place to book your tickets because if it gets cheaper after you bought your ticket and before you fly... they will refund the difference.

jl said:
I found that the cost has gone down for us - but it is not the fare itself, rather it is in the aoirport taxes, which for some odd reason is affected by the cost of oil, (and also our dollar). You think your ticket is expensive - It has cost me just over $3,000 (au) - of which there were around 800 - 900 in taxes! A good reason to stay over there for as long as possible - the trouble is only 90 days are allowed!

Cheers, Janet

There are some good deals out there if you are willing to put forth the effort to shop around. Several airlines have dropped their pricing for flights originating from the United States during the month of April. I was able to score a flight from Seattle to Paris (United Airlines) for $625.00 (taxes included). How did I get such a price? I asked for it. Good Advice - Always ask what is the lowest price the airline is willing to offer for a flight. You never know what type of deal you can get until you ask.

Mike

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Mike_Vander said:
There are some good deals out there if you are willing to put forth the effort to shop around. Several airlines have dropped their pricing for flights originating from the United States during the month of April. I was able to score a flight from Seattle to Paris (United Airlines) for $625.00 (taxes included). How did I get such a price? I asked for it. Good Advice - Always ask what is the lowest price the airline is willing to offer for a flight. You never know what type of deal you can get until you ask.

Mike

Hi Mike,

I guess that would be the same with these outrageous credit card interest rates!

Thanks,
Silvi

I've been keeping an eye on airfares and they were fairly steady going up/down $20 here and there over the past two or three months. I had just resolved to go ahead and purchase when I was called away suddenly to deal with a death. When I got back, the fare had jumped $250! I've tried all the cheap airfare travel sites but Iberia's site still gives me the best fare--now almost $1200 (adding in taxes, etc.)! I am telling myself to be patient and to wait. My planned departure is September 1st so there is time however my husband has already obtained his ticket using our frequent flyer miles so I really do need to be on the same returning flight with him! Grrrrrrrrrrrr

Just found some killer fares on Continental.com, via Kayak.com. Ergo, my mom is coming to visit in May, Pittsburgh to Madrid for $455 round trip, including all the fees!

The key is flexibility. If you´ve just GOTTA be on that same flight that same day, it might really hurt your chances. Mom´s flying midweek coach and she´s not staying longer than three weeks, which is another thing that helps you get the lower price. If you´re staying a month or longer, the price goes up for some reason. :D

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The bummer is that I will be gone for six weeks and the timing is not flexible. My husband is flying to Spain to join me in Santiago and then we have 10 days to tour Spain after my Camino. I can't believe it went up that much so fast! Now I'm praying that another sale will come along. The problem is that the flight is pretty full--looks like a tour group came in all at once because seats filled all of a sudden.

Hello fellow pilgrims,
I hope this is the correct forum for this. I am leaving for my first camino sometime early September, I don't know yet as to when I will purchase tickets but will be leaving New York for Madrid. After my camino I will spend some time in Galicia looking for a house (I retire in June) now since I don't know my return date, is it possible to purchase one way here (NY) and buy my return ticket there?

Another question: from Madrid is it possible to take another plane to Pamploma or would taking a train there be better? sorry, forgot to check if Pamploma has an airport. Thank you all for any information you can send me.

Tony from NYC

Anthony, Pamplona does have an airport, but I think only Iberia flies there. If you get a really low fare, it might be worth flying there as opposed to taking the train. And you can buy a one-way ticket, but it might be more expensive than a round trip. You might want to ask the airlines that.

Kelly

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Tony: welcome! This is a good place to ask your questions.

You can buy a one-way ticket. You might pay a premium on that but the best way to know is to do a comparison--check on cost for a two-way and a one way. I think you can even purchase an open ended ticket--where the return is not known but there is often a premium for that. Airline tickets are a strange beasts--sometimes it's cheaper to get the round trip than to buy a one way!

As far as getting to Pamplona--yes. That is exactly what I am doing. Bought my ticket today (I depart on Sept 1st). Flying into Madrid and then connecting to Pamplona. Doing it that way cost me $10 for the Pamplona segment. It was going to be something around $195 to buy that ticket alone. I don't know where you are planning to start, but you can walk out of the Pamplona airport, bear right up to the highway (outer beltway) and then bear left following the highway and then go under the bridge to Cizar Menor! Otherwise you can do a search on how to get from Pamplona to Roncesvalles or SJ...........

Buen Camino!

I booked a flight via British Air into Paris with a departure from London for $575 and felt that was good. I depart from New York on May 5th and a return on June 29th. I am visiting in France before the pilgrimage and I plan to tour a bit after the Camino -- maybe a trip to Ireland to visit friends. I was nervous about rate changing quickly -- don't let me know that there are lower rates!

Thanks also to all the input on the trains to SJPP.

Peace, Ona

Hi,
I just read an email today from American Airlines about opening a new route with direct flights to Madrid from Dallas Fort Worth. They have an advertized special of: $219/each way (based on rournd trip) if you fly by 5/25. From Miami they list $246/each way. The fares have restrictions, but if you know your dates it is a great price.

Buen Camino,

Cecilia

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I just found a flight from Charlotte, NC to Zurich for $678 on Hotwire. I tried checking for a train from Zurich to Bayonne but it said it didn't connect. Any suggestions on train info would be helpful.

Hi,
I found a travel agency (Save On Travel) and they quoted a round trip New York (Kennedy Airport to Madrid for $600. I will try to connect with a flight to Pamploma and from there take a taxi to SJP. Their number 1800-777-4194, I was told that these are not stand by, but reserved seats. Hope this helps.

To Kelly and Portia 1, as late as this is, I thank you very much for the information you sent me awhile ago.

I hope to be walking through the city gates of SJP on September 10th, hope to meet some of you forum members along the way.

Buen Camino a todos,
Tony from New York

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
anthonyjf said:
Hi,
I found a travel agency (Save On Travel) and they quoted a round trip New York (Kennedy Airport to Madrid for $600.

Buen Camino a todos,
Tony from New York

Just got quoted today American Airlines Boston-London- Mardid $525. for September.
Iberia-direct flight $655.

Does anyone know about getting a bus from Madrid to Pamplona??? I know the trip is 5 hours, but I can't seeem to find a bus schedule.

below you have the timetable for today, buses from Madrid to Pamplona. The buses are comfortable. One way 27.20 E, with a return ticket 54,40 E. Tickets still available - not completo.

http://www.alsa.es
annie

Viaje de ida: MADRID - PAMPLONA, 07/06/2009
estaciĂłn origen estaciĂłn destino salida llegada precio ida precio Ida y Vuelta oferta
MADR-A.AME PAMPLONA 10:30 15:15 27,20€ 54,40€
MADR-A.AME PAMPLONA 12:00 17:45 27,00€ 54,00€
MADR-A.AME PAMPLONA 15:00 20:00 27,20€ 54,40€
MADR-A.AME PAMPLONA 16:30 21:30 27,20€ 54,40€
MADR-A.AME PAMPLONA 17:30 22:30 35,51€ 70,77€
MADR-A.AME PAMPLONA 19:30 00:15 día siguiente 27,20€ 54,40€
MADR-A.AME PAMPLONA 21:30 01:59 día siguiente 27,20€ 54,40€

anniethenurse said:
below you have the timetable for today, buses from Madrid to Pamplona. The buses are comfortable. One way 27.20 E, with a return ticket 54,40 E. Tickets still available - not completo.

Thank you for posting this information, it is very helpful.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Kayak.com is an amazing site because you don't have to search each online ticket depot seperately. About 2 weeks ago I bought a roundtrip ticket from JFK to Madrid for $515, leaving in early July on Air France. Its all luck of the draw. Just keep looking on the same sites day after day and eventually you will hit on a deal.

My husband just booked today through American Airlines(but flying on Iberia)a direct flight from Boston to Madrid $429. So that price went down significantly since last week when I was quoted $655. direct on the same flight.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Anniesantiago said:
Wow, Rita Hermanita! That is a VERY good price!
Congratulations!

Yes,that was really a good price. I doubt it will get any lower for a direct flight. The only problem was because I will be staying in Spain for over 30 days(he returns home after 15 days) my ticket would have been $769. Can't figure that out, because we were both quoted $655. last week. So I opted to use my air miles, a hefty 60,000 miles, but I have fllexibility to make changes any time, at no charge, which could come in handy if I am a slow walker or take some time off during/after the Camino.

I checked out Kayak and found decent deals from Washington, DC to Madrid, but then stumbled across 1800flyeurope.com

On this site I found a r/t flight for $603 with all taxes and fees included. Couldn't pass it up, depart 5 August - return 3 Sept.

Only catch is trips are non-refundable and the change fee is $300 plus differnece in airfare.

Good luck!
Kate

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back