• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Inside the Holy Door

Stephen Nicholls

Steve Nicholls, Suffolk, U.K.
Time of past OR future Camino
Too many caminos to list in the permitted 100 characters!!
We were lucky this year [2016] to be able to use the Holy Door for entrance to the Cathedral. Can anyone please tell me anything about the tomb that is just inside the door?
Many thanks!IMG_20160607_173917.JPG

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Can anyone please tell me anything about the tomb that is just inside the door?

There's little info about it. It's of the Abraldes (nobility) family but I didn't find references to the specific member(s) that lie there. The legend says Armas antiguas de los Abraldes (old coats of arms of the Abraldes). There's a marquess of Abraldes. According to Galician Wikipedia (http://gl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porta_Santa#cite_note-6), the Abraldes lineage is documented since XVIth century.

There's little info about it. It's of the Abraldes (nobility) family but I didn't find references to the specific member(s) that lie there. The legend says Armas antiguas de los Abraldes (old coats of arms of the Abraldes). There's a marquess of Abraldes. According to Galician Wikipedia (http://gl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porta_Santa#cite_note-6), the Abraldes lineage is documented since XVIth century.
OK Castilian. Well, that's more information than I could find anywhere! We saw the tomb two weeks ago, and I am writing up a diary and photo album which will end up on my web site.
I like to give some information on each photo, so your comments are very useful.
If anyone else knows anything, please let us all know :)!!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The legend says Armas antiguas de los Abraldes (old coats of arms of the Abraldes).

I'm thinking legend isn't the right word in English. It think the letters that you can see on the tomb would be better understood. On the left Armas antiguas (old coats of arms). On the right of the picture de los Abraldes (of the Abraldes). De is written on the tomb with a single letter mixing d and e that was used in old Castilian but that I don't know how to write on a computer (if it was posible).

There's a marquess of Abraldes.

...but I can't tell you for sure if who lies on the tomb already had that title (or if s/he had another one).

I thought it said Amas antiguas - ancient loves!! Or maybe that would be "you love old men"!!

Neither of them. That would be Old (female) owners!!

BTW, the R isn't too clear but it's there (or so it seems). I guess being a native Spanish speaker helps in this case. Otherwise, I could have easily overlooked it too.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
"inscription" might be a bit better than 'legend' but both can have similar meanings.
You're Spanish?!?! I wondered only because of your forum name. Your English is impeccable! Maybe you were originally from the UK?

"inscription" might be a bit better than 'legend'

Inscription! That's it! I knew I should look for another word but it didn't come to my mind. If I had thought about the Spanish equivalent of inscription (that BTW could also be more accurate in this case than the Spanish equivalent of legend), I would have realized but for some reason it didn't come to my mind.

You're Spanish?!?!

Yes, I am Spanish.

Your English is impeccable!

Thanks for the compliment but I think that's (way) generous. I do my best but I (still) struggle with some questions like on/in/at, adverbs location (e.g.: is it could also be or could be also?), spelling of some words (e.g.: I was writing below with two l till someone on the forum recalled me that it was just with one) and so on.

Maybe you were originally from the UK?

I'm Spanish and all my known ancestors are Spanish too.

My Spanish is rubbish, in spite of living there for seven years. I can 'get by' shopping, or in hotels etc., which is very useful when on pilgrimage. I love Spain - the people, the mountains, and the climate .... oh! and the price of a bottle of wine :).
When I went to school [65 years ago!] I learned Latin: it comes in useful in Spain! Hence thinking that inscription was "AMAT" - "he loves".
Thanks for all your help, Castilian!
Blessings from sunny, 20 deg C Suffolk .....

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
OK Castilian. Well, that's more information than I could find anywhere! We saw the tomb two weeks ago, and I am writing up a diary and photo album which will end up on my web site.
I like to give some information on each photo, so your comments are very useful.
If anyone else knows anything, please let us all know :)!!
Somehow I was in the main Cathedral two weeks ago and have no idea if I went through the door or not. Was it inside the cathedral where everyone was lining up to see something behind the alter? Oh well, I would like to see your pics and description. So if you can send me a link to your web site, I would appreciate it.

Hi Mike! Hope you're not still missing?!?
The line of poeple to see something behind the altar? If they're going UPWARDS, they're going to give the statue of Saint James "a hug". If they're going DOWNWARDS they're going to visit the crypt with the silver box containing Saint James' bones.
No - the Holy door is round the side of the cathedral and is ornately decorated .....
IMG_20160607_173853.jpg
The tomb we've been talking about is just to the right of this entrance.
You are welcome to a copy of my diary - send me your e-mail address. [s.nicholls@gmx.co.uk] It's quite a large file, due to all the pictures!
Blessings and .... buen camino!

Hi Mike! Hope you're not still missing?!?
The line of poeple to see something behind the altar? If they're going UPWARDS, they're going to give the statue of Saint James "a hug". If they're going DOWNWARDS they're going to visit the crypt with the silver box containing Saint James' bones.
No - the Holy door is round the side of the cathedral and is ornately decorated .....
View attachment 27342
The tomb we've been talking about is just to the right of this entrance.
You are welcome to a copy of my diary - send me your e-mail address. [s.nicholls@gmx.co.uk] It's quite a large file, due to all the pictures!
Blessings and .... buen camino!
Stephen--thank you for the picture--truth be told I could have walked in or out of it and not even noticed. I went to your website and you truly are hooked by the camino. If you plan to post everything there, then I will just wait for it. I bookmarked the site.

As far as Missing Mike, that was all I could think of when I started on this forum. I was overwhelmed with grief having just lost my only child, Mike and was missing him so much. He will be forever missing from this human plane but he is very much alive in the other. There were many things on the Camino that told me that and he and I can actually talk to each other and he has been a great help for me at this time.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
As far as Missing Mike, that was all I could think of when I started on this forum. I was overwhelmed with grief having just lost my only child, Mike and was missing him so much. He will be forever missing from this human plane but he is very much alive in the other. There were many things on the Camino that told me that and he and I can actually talk to each other and he has been a great help for me at this time.
Oh my friend! I totally misread your 'name'. I wrongly assumed that YOU were "Mike" and you were "missing" somewhere on the camino. It is totally wrong for a parent to lose a child. Round the other way, yes. I have never experienced this, so can only imagine your hurt.
Blessings, my friend, from wet and grey Suffolk....

Oh my friend! I totally misread your 'name'. I wrongly assumed that YOU were "Mike" and you were "missing" somewhere on the camino. It is totally wrong for a parent to lose a child. Round the other way, yes. I have never experienced this, so can only imagine your hurt.
Blessings, my friend, from wet and grey Suffolk....

No problem, I completely understand. I went to my account and I can't find a way to change it. So at this point, it is what it is (which I also got to practice on the Camino I just finished on June 11th.) The day of his 6th month passing. After his death he told me to go and I listened. It was an amazing journey!

..... and it can continue to be an amazing journey if you want it to be. As you may have discovered, on the camino your daily cares are gone: you need to think only of two things - When shall I eat? and Where shall I sleep?
I find the camino provides all my needs: companionship when I need it, food, sleep, a destination to aim for .... yes, even love.
Keep talking to Mike.
He may even suggest you go again :).
I know I am approaching the age when such walking may not be possible: but I still have plans for the Primitivo next April/May!
God bless and keep you .....

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

I requested a Mass to be offered with the botafumerio from the Cathederal for May 27th. Here is the update from the Cathederal: “We are contacting you to inform you that unfortunately the...
Does Ivan's place close for siesta or dinner? Trying to sort how to get my stored luggage and I know places close in Spain even when their doors say the hours they are open. Are we supposed to...
Anyone from the forum working in the Pilgrim’s Office May 1-14? We’ll be walking two Caminos and will say hi if you are!
It's been 5 years since being in Santiago and my perceptions are stuck in a decade ago. But these days it's so much easier to find good vegetarian and vegan food here. Yesterday I had a wonderful...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.