• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Insole or socks? Gotta choose only one! Help!

hahni1274

Unfortunately, I purchased hiking boots a half size smaller than what they should have been. And I took them out to a 7 mile hiking the other day, so it seems like return will not be possible. So, the shoes fit fine if I only use gel insole (about 1/3 ~ 1/2 inch gel support) or thick nylon, "cooling" socks.

What would you choose? extra thick insole or thick, cooling socks?

when I was on a 7 mile hiking, my foot started to sore about 3,4 miles into it. And I was wearing thick socks (they were cycling socks. I think they were supposed to be cooling. But not sure what they are made out of). The original insoles come with the boots are pretty much useless.

Thanks!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
hahni1274 said:
Unfortunately, I purchased hiking boots a half size smaller than what they should have been. And I took them out to a 7 mile hiking the other day, so it seems like return will not be possible. So, the shoes fit fine if I only use gel insole (about 1/3 ~ 1/2 inch gel support) or thick nylon, "cooling" socks.

What would you choose? extra thick insole or thick, cooling socks?

when I was on a 7 mile hiking, my foot started to sore about 3,4 miles into it. And I was wearing thick socks (they were cycling socks. I think they were supposed to be cooling. But not sure what they are made out of). The original insoles come with the boots are pretty much useless.

Thanks!
Buy new boots! It will be worth it in the end. If you think the boots are small now, when your feet spread after several days walking with a pack, they will be murder on your feet. I did what you are suggesting many years ago when I made a bad size choice, and it almost put me off walking ever again.

If you insist on walking with these boots, learn how to tighten the laces so tight that your toes don't strike the front of the boot. You should also use the thinnest sock practicable, because it is the thickness of the socks at the heels and toes that needs to be addressed. To that extent, while I don't think it the best solution, I suggest you avoid the gel sole, and use the thinnest trekking socks that you can find.

Regards,

Hahni1274:

Buy New Boots.

Skinny socks or inserts will not make poorly fitted boots better or acceptable. If you walked seven miles and they were uncomfortable, just think how bad they will feel during a 500 mile walk.

Your feet and their care are the most important part of your body on the Camino. If they are not happy, you will not be happy.

Ultreya,
Joe

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Don't like being too definite about these things, but I'll make an exception. I'll also guess that the great advice by Doug and Joe would be echoed by a clear majority on the forum.

I wouldn't dream of going off in undersize boots.

If you can afford it, I would prioritise getting a pair of boots that fit properly above all else. If that's a problem,keep trying the ones you have with the different options of socks and insoles to see what works best. But you will need something comfortable before you go on the Camino,

buen camino,

Andy

I would agree with the others. Get new boots. We all make mistakes at times . It can be a much bigger mistake to stick with that first mistake. Your feet being comfortable in your boots is the first priority on the Camino.

Buen Camino,
Lydia

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Definitely get new boots! You can have enough problems with shoes or boots that fit well; setting off in small boots almost guarantees disaster. If money is tight, sell the small ones on Craig's List. Since they're new, you should be able to recover at least half of the cost. I've had great luck on Craig's List.

Actually, before you do that, I'd go back to the store and explain the situation. If it's locally-owned, or the owner is savvy, they'll be willing to take the boots back and get you the size you need. If they do say no, offer to pay a small 'restocking' fee or ask for a nice discount on the new ones. I know a bunch of athletic footwear stores in my city that tell you from the start they want your shoes to fit, and if you run in them a few times and they just don't fit, bring them back and they'll exchange them, no questions asked. Plus, in this economy, a lot more stores are bargaining with customers.

Melanie

mmm042 said:
Definitely get new boots! You can have enough problems with shoes or boots that fit well; setting off in small boots almost guarantees disaster. If money is tight, sell the small ones on Craig's List. Since they're new, you should be able to recover at least half of the cost. I've had great luck on Craig's List.

Actually, before you do that, I'd go back to the store and explain the situation. If it's locally-owned, or the owner is savvy, they'll be willing to take the boots back and get you the size you need. If they do say no, offer to pay a small 'restocking' fee or ask for a nice discount on the new ones. I know a bunch of athletic footwear stores in my city that tell you from the start they want your shoes to fit, and if you run in them a few times and they just don't fit, bring them back and they'll exchange them, no questions asked. Plus, in this economy, a lot more stores are bargaining with customers.

Melanie

Yes agree, I'm in a similar boat, my boots fit well, but then rub on my fat/wide foot after several hours, not very happy but they know i've spent a small fortune there, I have another pair which fit fine. Yes go back & explain, our feet swell & contract it's very hard to size boots/shoes.

Good Luck

David

I agree with everyone. BUY NEW BOOTS! Nothing worse than being only a couple of days into your walk (if that) and feeling miserable. Your feet are your most precious object on this Camino. Pamper them. Anne

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
If your boots fit properly, all you need is a lubricant. I suggest Hydropel or SportSlick, but Vaseline is OK, too. Don't bother with the perfumy aloe-type stuff. It does not work. Renew the lubricant hourly if you need to.

You don't specify where you live. If you live in the US where Craigslist is popular, put the boots for sale on there. Worst case scenario you sell them on eBay or Amazon. I would try returning them first. If you live somewhere that has an REI or other type of outdoor store with a good return policy, buy from there.

Either way, BUY NEW BOOTS!!!! They should be a 1/2 size too big, because your feet will grow as you walk. If they already feel snug, that is NOT a good thing.

Also, go to the library and check out the book, "Fixing Your Feet". Everyone should read this before doing the Camino (thanks Daniel de Kay for the advice!). This should explain in clear and easy terms how to take care of your feet while doing the Camino or any other outdoor activity. As a matter of fact, if we just told people to read that book first before asking foot questions, that would eliminate most of the questions we get on here about foot care. Seriously. It is a great book. Pretty much every thing you would ever want to know about feet, blister care, tendonitis and more is in that book.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back