• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Insoles for boots

• Thread starter Deleted member 59555
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 59555

In the last two walks I have used the same type/brand shoes With insoles that were recommended. Both sets worked very well. Going back 5th April and have yet my third pair of boots same as before. But using old insoles all has been well till today when I did a twenty two kilometer walk and the ball of right foot is quite sore after about fifteen k's. Any recommendations for new insoles or any tricks to be shared. come on team spill all.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Go to a podiatrist and get custom orthotics made. Designed specifically for your feet and get problems. Most insurance covers them, at least mine does. I own a pair for each boot and work shoe I wear.

Last edited:
Not clear which country you are in. Here in the UK I usually buy gel insoles from Sports Direct to replace or supplement the standard insoles of my walking boots. Used to be "Dunlop" branded but the labelling seems to change from time to time while the actual product remains pretty constant.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Supafeet offer a 30day return and cover most foot/gait issues here in the UK. You didnt mention socks... my Bridgedale Fusion socks are truly wonderful in all temperatures but do ‘felt’ quite quickly and have caused me the pain you describe, so I thought worth a mention. I also found great lacing techniques for hikers on You Tube that can eliminate unwanted movement within the boot. Good luck. 😊

Over six Caminos, I have used, in order:
  1. The insoles that came with my Keen Targhee II mid-high boots, looked nice, but not supportive
  2. Superfeet - Green insoles (these were thrown out my a podiatrist in Burgos, who after operating on my infected heel calluses, called them "basura" as he tossed them in the trash can...
  3. Prescription insoles fitted my my podiatrist, they were for me and IMHO a waste of money, as they did not hold up to regular Camino use.
  4. Superfeet - Orange - Relatively better than the Superfeet - Green insoles, again IMHO.
  5. Dr. Scholl's GEL insoles - the model designed for all day standing use.
For 2019, I am going to use the Dr. Scholl's with Superfeet Orange insoles for transiting airport security. The Dr. Scholl's gel insoles will ride in my checked rucksack. The security folks are NOT fond of gel insoles... just sayin...

The Superfeet - Orange insoles will be my backup to the gel insoles...just in case...

Hope this helps.

Not clear which country you are in. Here in the UK I usually buy gel insoles from Sports Direct to replace or supplement the standard insoles of my walking boots. Used to be "Dunlop" branded but the labelling seems to change from time to time while the actual product remains pretty constant.
Go to Cotswolds or other reputable outdoor shop in the UK. You can get some very good advice and insoles. Especially at Cotswolds. Pricy but worth it. There is a particular brand of insole the name I think is comfy feet, which are particularly good. Hope you get sorted. Buen Camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Go to Cotswolds or other reputable outdoor shop in the UK. You can get some very good advice and insoles. Especially at Cotswolds. Pricy but worth it. There is a particular brand of insole the name I think is comfy feet, which are particularly good. Hope you get sorted. Buen Camino!
Sorry I meant supafeet!

any tricks to be shared. come on team spill all.
One of my knees was hurting so I paid attention to my walk and I noticed that my arch was flattening and that was causing pronation which, in turn, was causing my knee to twist. I pulled out the insole, stuffed toilet paper where my arch would be and then replaced the insole. I would have to add paper now and then as the paper got compressed but it worked so well the paper is still there four years later.

so glad you posted this, very timely. i leave for my Camino on April 26 and am in need of some new insoles. my old cheap cushiony insoles are so worn, they're starting to slip out of the back of my shoe occasionally, and I only have a few weeks to test another pair prior to my trip. thanks for the tip on SuperFeet & Dr Scholls, t2andreo (Tom from Florida)!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Superfeet is what REI suggested to me.

Superfeet come in several densities/ degree of rigidity. The density and stiffness is separated by color.

Green is specified for folks who “are on their feet all day.” However, the rigid heel cup worsened my congenital callus issue. Hence, the podiatrist pronounced them ‘garbage!’

Orange is an intermediate density, with a little more cushion and is less stiff than green.

Purple or blue are softer still.

I have good luck getting a proper selection in a local running store.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I experienced a similar problem in pre-CF walks. Did some online research and settled on
Subsequebtly had no foot or leg pain at any time during my 33days from SJPDP to SDC.

BUEN CAMINO

In the last two walks I have used the same type/brand shoes With insoles that were recommended. Both sets worked very well. Going back 5th April and have yet my third pair of boots same as before. But using old insoles all has been well till today when I did a twenty two kilometer walk and the ball of right foot is quite sore after about fifteen k's. Any recommendations for new insoles or any tricks to be shared. come on team spill all.

No insole recommendations from me, but just a reminder that a change of insoles can change the fit of your footwear. So whenever I get a different pair of insoles from the model I used before, I will spend time dressing up my feet as I would for backpacking --- whatever socks, taping, orthotics,etc - - and put on my loaded pack and double check to make sure I'm still good. It is not so much a change related to the length of the shoe and toe room that is an issue for me, it is how an insole can impinge on the width of my feet, create new pressure points, and reduce the volume of the shoe so that my instep gets crowded.

It can take as much effort to find an insole which works, as it does a good shoe. :) For example: I use the Timberland Pro, and they work fine for me, but I did not like SuperFeet, gel insoles, and a number of other popular insoles.

Since I never carry an extra pair of 'end of the day' footwear, I always take an extra pair of insoles, usually the ones which were included with the shoe. On Camino at day's end after I've washed up, I remove my walking insoles for airing out. I put in my extra pair of insoles, put on clean socks, and then go about wandering around tow, chores, or whatever else during the evening. I find that the shoes I wear for walking are comfortable enough to forgo needing a different set of footwear, flip-flops or sandals.

Since I never carry an extra pair of 'end of the day' footwear, I always take an extra pair of insoles, usually the ones which were included with the shoe.
I've never seen or even heard of a pair of shoes coming with extra insoles. Is that what you get when you buy your footwear or do you order the second pair from the maker?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I've never seen or even heard of a pair of shoes coming with extra insoles. Is that what you get when you buy your footwear or do you order the second pair from the maker?

Oops. I use third party insoles in my shoes, never the ones that came with the shoe. So the ones that come with the shoe becomes the 'extra' pair.

I have a number of such 'originals' in a bin.

For a cheap and ultralight pair of shower shoes, take the original insoles, some cordage, and make a set of sandals. :)

I use third party insoles in my shoes, never the ones that came with the shoe. So the ones that come with the shoe becomes the 'extra' pair.
Thanks Dave. So I take it that you insert the original insoles into the shoes when you get to the albergue and you will do just a bit of walking around town while the main set of insoles are airing out (because the not so good originals won't do much harm with such little use).

Thanks Dave. So I take it that you insert the original insoles into the shoes when you get to the albergue and you will do just a bit of walking around town while the main set of insoles are airing out (because the not so good originals won't do much harm with such little use).

Exactly. They are comfortable enough for sight seeing and general dinging around in. This is also what I do if the shoes get wet from rain. Since my walking insoles do not absorb water anyway, except for the thin fabric on top, they quickly dry or air out; it doesn't take very much time.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Go to a podiatrist and get custom orthodoxy s made.
Funnily enough, that is what I didn't like about my podiatrist. He always gave me the standard orthodoxy and didn't want to discuss custom approaches. 🤣🤣🤣

(For example, I had a stress fracture and he stuck by his recommendation to wear a rigid boot for 6 weeks. i decided I would more likely injure myself with the boot, so I just stayed off my foot for 6 weeks and it healed perfectly.)

Funnily enough, that is what I didn't like about my podiatrist. He always gave me the standard orthodoxy and didn't want to discuss custom approaches. 🤣🤣🤣

(For example, I had a stress fracture and he stuck by his recommendation to wear a rigid boot for 6 weeks. i decided I would more likely injure myself with the boot, so I just stayed off my foot for 6 weeks and it healed perfectly.)
Ha ha mistype. Obviously I was trying to type orthotics :) . And yes. stress fractures require rest. I had one once and ended up with a crutch.

LOVE the birkenstock half insert! Cost $50 Canadian and turn any shoe into a birkenstock shoe - only thing that feels good when I have planter fascitis

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I use Super feet and carry a second pair and change them out as 1 gets wet. I wear Altra's that are are mesh and not water proof.

I have extra wide feet (4E) and I find most insoles don’t work for me. I recently got Superfeet Green WIDE. My initial impressions are good although I haven’t done enough kilometres with them yet to be sure they are a good choice. It’s difficult finding footwear that works for extra wide feet. Choices are limited.

I have extra wide feet (4E) and I find most insoles don’t work for me. I recently got Superfeet Green WIDE. My initial impressions are good although I haven’t done enough kilometres with them yet to be sure they are a good choice. It’s difficult finding footwear that works for extra wide feet. Choices are limited.
I have EE wide feet and the Superfeet work excellently for me I have been using them in all of my shoes and boots for several years.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.