• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Insoles

Theresa Brandon

Artist, photographer, dreamer
Time of past OR future Camino
Inglés '18, Ingles '19, Ingles '22, Portugues '22
I've worn several different brands of insoles on two Caminos, and then tried Superfeet for a year or so, but ended up with pain in my forefoot. I have been trying Tread Labs for about 500 miles of training now and really like them. Designed by Mark Paigen, who also designed the original Chaco sandals. They are available in 4 arch heights, three types of replaceable cushioned insoles (I use the Blue Pace) and three variations of depth to fit many different kinds of shoes. There is a million mile guarantee on the base plastic insole support. https://treadlabs.com

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I've worn several different brands of insoles on two Caminos, and then tried Superfeet for a year or so, but ended up with pain in my forefoot. I have been trying Tread Labs for about 500 miles of training now and really like them. 4 arch heights, three types of replaceable cushioned insoles with three different insole thicknesses and a million mile guarantee on the plastic insole support! https://treadlabs.com
They sound fantastic from what their website says and you sound like one very happy customer. It seems no price is mentioned, so I assume they must be quite expensive. If they indeed make all the difference for troubled feet, cost would be a moot point for most folks when walking the Camino.

I've worn several different brands of insoles on two Caminos, and then tried Superfeet for a year or so, but ended up with pain in my forefoot. I have been trying Tread Labs for about 500 miles of training now and really like them. 4 arch heights, three types of replaceable cushioned insoles with three different insole thicknesses and a million mile guarantee on the plastic insole support! https://treadlabs.com

have always used superfeet but quite intrigued by the variations of the ones you mention. Have never heard of them in UK but then I haven't been looking! :)

Samarkand.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
have always used superfeet but quite intrigued by the variations of the ones you mention. Have never heard of them in UK but then I haven't been looking! :)

Samarkand.

checked out amazon and eBay and yes they are there but the price is stiff so sticking with superfeet :)

All the best.

samarkand

They are more expensive (and cushier) than Superfeet, but the base insert is unbreakable, and the replacement tops are very reasonably priced. I buy the insole set which is one base with three different tops - thin, thick, and a three-quarter version so I can switch them between all my shoes. They are the only insole I've found that fits well with my high arch. The 30 day trial period is a good deal, too. Using these has eliminated the edge blisters/calluses I was getting from the Superfeet.

Here is one way to compare prices with Superfeet (quotation is from https://sectionhiker.com/tread-labs-stride-reusable-orthotic-insoles-review/): "For example, I go through four pairs of SuperFeet Carbon Insoles every year and it’s expensive to replace them at $55/pair and $210 for the year. Tread Labs sells their reusable orthotic insoles for $75/pair and replacement fabric top covers for $15/pair. If I purchased three pairs of replacement fabric top covers, my total annual cost would $120, which is over 40% less than using SuperFeet."

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I think the quote above is from a hiker who is putting in a lot of miles. I don't wear mine out that fast as I have several pairs that I alternate.

To all of you who have foot issues good luck and hope this works for you. I am so lucky that I do not have these problems. But my wife does and I see how she suffers. She has insoles that were fitted for her feet. She still had issues until I suggested Hokas. I had seen so many great reviews about them. She has not complained once on our hikes that her ankles or knees have hurt her. She says it is like walking on a cloud.

I
To all of you who have foot issues good luck and hope this works for you. I am so lucky that I do not have these problems. But my wife does and I see how she suffers. She has insoles that were fitted for her feet. She still had issues until I suggested Hokas. I had seen so many great reviews about them. She has not complained once on our hikes that her ankles or knees have hurt her. She says it is like walking on a cloud.
I love Hokas! It's like walking on marshmellows!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I love Hokas, too! (Challenger ATR 4 or 5)

Last edited:
I started out using custom moulded orthotics by my podiatrist after I got shin splints in my early running days. but these were horrendously expensive. I've since tried many off-the-shelf products and the best are by Vasyli Medical. In Australia they are only available through podiatrists who do the final fitting but you can get them from overseas using various websites. Many of the knockoff copies are terrible either because of their poor shape and /or a too compliant elastomer base. However I've never come across Hokas so can't provide a comparison.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I started out using custom moulded orthotics by my podiatrist after I got shin splints in my early running days. but these were horrendously expensive. I've since tried many off-the-shelf products and the best are by Vasyli Medical. In Australia they are only available through podiatrists who do the final fitting but you can get them from overseas using various websites. Many of the knockoff copies are terrible either because of their poor shape and /or a too compliant elastomer base. However I've never come across Hokas so can't provide a comparison.
Hoka is a shoe not an insole...really comfortable and high padded for a comfortable walk/run.
worked for my extreme Case of Plantar faciatis and heel spur

tried Superfeet for a year or so, but ended up with pain in my forefoot. I have been trying Tread Labs for about 500 miles of training now and really like them

This was my experience as well with the Superfeet, sadly. They were fine at home, I loved them, but when I started to train for my "bloody long walks" as I call my caminos, my feet started to hurt. I have Morton's neuromas in both feet (not in the same spot, though, funnily enough!). I went to see that website you linked to and THEY HAVE MET PADS! <3 Those are the one and only thing that has ever made a difference for my feet. For those who might not know, they are felt (sometimes foam, or insole material) little "domes" you wear right behind the balls of your feet. They take the pressure off your metatarsals. I wear them under my insoles as I don't like the sharp bump if I wear them over the insoles. It is GLORIOUS relief for me. So, thank you for the link! I'll go see if they ship to Canada.

Is this typical? I thought my custom insoles were expensive - they are, at several hundred dollars. However, I wore my last ones almost every day for four years!
I have probably 5-6 pair in shoes purchased over maybe 20 years and have never retired a pair. I did not think they really wore out. Also been using the same custom ski boot foot beds for 20 years

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back