• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Inspiring Quotations

"The end of one journey is simply the start of another. You have to see what you missed the first time, see again what you already saw, see in springtime what you saw in summer, in daylight what you saw at night, see the sun shining where you saw the rain falling, see crops growing, the fruit ripen, the stone which has moved, the shadow that was not there before. You have to go back to the footsteps already taken, to go over them again or add fresh ones alongside them.You have to start the journey anew. Always"
Jose Saramago, A Journey to Portugal

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
"Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason." Jerry Seinfeld

"Awe. The sense that you are very small compared to the work of God or Nature.
John Muir

That is why I love the meseta.

Attachments

• 2012-05-01 TO BOADILLA.jpg
    2012-05-01 TO BOADILLA.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 10
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi p3nny,
I love any quotes or texts from the late John O Donoghue and his book Anam Cara.

"Your soul knows the geography of your destiny and the map of your future. Trust this side of yourself. It will take you where you need to go but it will also teach you a kindness of rhythm in your journey"

― John O'Donohue, Anam Cara Book of Celtic Wisdom
Anam Cara refers to the Celtic spiritual belief of souls connecting and bonding.

In Celtic Spiritual tradition, it is believed that the soul radiates all about the physical body, what some refer to as an aura. When you connect with another person and become completely open and trusting with that individual, your two souls begin to flow together. Should such a deep bond be formed, it is said you have found your Anam Cara or soul friend.
Your Anam Cara always accepts you as you truly are, holding you in beauty and light. In order to appreciate this relationship, you must first recognize your own inner light and beauty. This is not always easy to do. The Celts believed that forming an Anam Cara friendship would help you to awaken your awareness of your own nature and experience the joys of others.

According to John O'Donahue, an accomplished Irish poet, philosopher and Catholic priest, "...You are joined in an ancient and eternal union with humanity that cuts across all barriers of time, convention, philosophy and definition. When you are blessed with an anam cara, the Irish believe, you have arrived at that most sacred place: home."

John died very young and is now buried in an old graveyard on the edge of the Burren facing the wild Atlantic Ocean in a little village called Fanore, County Clare. I love to visit there and think of him often.

Heading off on my 1st Camino tomorrow leaving Dublin in the morning with a tingle of excitement and a little fear. But looking forward to meeting everyone in SJPP and 30 days of discovery.

Buen Camino
Ger
Beautiful...thanks for sharing.

"Which way is the Sun? I am going the other direction." - Michelle Hogan (stated one morning in late August, 2016 on the CF). A quote gushing with intention and soulful finality.

Walt Whitman's "Song of the Open Road" is very quotable and his topic is very Camino-like. Here is the last stanza, but please go and read the whole thing at this link
https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/48859/song-of-the-open-road

Let the paper remain on the desk unwritten, and the book on the shelf unopen’d!
Let the tools remain in the workshop! let the money remain unearn’d!
Let the school stand! mind not the cry of the teacher!
Let the preacher preach in his pulpit! let the lawyer plead in the court, and the judge expound the law.

Camerado, I give you my hand!
I give you my love more precious than money,
I give you myself before preaching or law;
Will you give me yourself? will you come travel with me?
Shall we stick by each other as long as we live?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have never read all the above poem - brilliant!!!!!

Pilgrim's Credo:

I am not in control.
I am not in a hurry.
I walk in faith and hope.
I greet everyone I meet with peace.
I take only what God gives me.

---Murry Bodo, OFM

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I love mountains. I feel that mountains are huge contemplatives. They are there and they are in the presence up to their necks and they are still in it and with it and within it. One of the lovely ways to pray is to to take your body out into the landscape and to be still in it. Your body is made out of clay, so your body is actually a miniature landscape that has got up from under the earth and is now walking on the normal landscape. If you go out for several hours into a place that is wild, your mind begins to slow down, down, down. What is happening is that the clay or your body is retrieving its own sense of sisterhood with the great clay of the landscape.
fromWalking on the Pastures of Wonder
by John O’Donohue

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
From one of my favourite novelists; pertinent not just to the camino, but life in general.

Viewed from the standpoint of happiness, faith is a strong staff for the traveller to lean upon, and the march becomes easier when one is fortunate enough to possess it.

Émile Zola, 1840 - 1902

Pilgrim's Credo:

I am not in control.
I am not in a hurry.

---Murry Bodo, OFM
Fr. Murry was my High School English teacher at St. Francis Seminary in the early 70's. He was, and is, an amazing man.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Pilgrim's Credo:

I am not in control.
I am not in a hurry.

---Murry Bodo, OFM
Fr. Murry was my High School English teacher at St. Francis Seminary in the early 1970's. He is, and was, an amazing man.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back