• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Instead of Sarria to Santiago-any other100-150 km on the Frances

littlegreen60

Time of past OR future Camino
Early June 2023
I have decided on the Frances in early to mid June for my first Camino. I keep hearing how crowded the Sarria to Santiago portion is at that time of year. am concerned It may be too crowded for me.

I am flying into Madrid. I'm not stuck on having to get to Santiago. I am looking for lots of beautiful nature, towns and fellow pilgrims but without a bottleneck of people. 100 to 150 km, maybe a bit more.
Any suggestions?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Pamplona to Logrono is a lovely section of thé Camino Frances and would give you a good ‘feel’ for the Camino. Many pilgrims start thé Camino Frances in Pamplona. This section is bookended by two wonderful towns with some delightful smaller towns and villages in between. Also. from Madrid, travel to Pamplona is easy. 😎

It’s a little less than 100 kms from Pamplona to Logrono. A further 50 kms or so would take you to Santo Domingo de la Calzado 😎

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
@littlegreen60 if you decide to begin in Pamplona, once you know your arrival date, it would be a good idea to consider your accommodation. Pamplona is one of those towns that is an attraction not just for pilgrims but for Spanish people and tourists from around the world. I haven’t walked the Frances for 10 years now, but from what I’ve read on this forum the ‘bottleneck’ begins to ease after Pamplona 😎

I often suggest walking the last part of the Camino Primitivo from Lugo for folks wanting to do 100 km to Santiago. The Primitivo joins the CF at Melida but there are alternative ways to Santiago. I say suggest instead of recommend because I've not done this walk myself. Lugo has a two kilometer walkable on top Roman wall encircling the old city.

Details at this forum thread: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/lugo-to-santiago.77492/

After Santiago you may enjoy walking to the ocean at Finisterre, another 90 km, usually done in three days and more often in four than two. Decent bus service back to Santiago.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thank you. So much. I have also read elsewhere that Leon to OCerebriero is very beautiful. Thoughts?

Most people I have met on the CF start in SJPP, San Jean Pied Port , in France. It’s the real traditional beginning. It’s tough and long to Pamplona BUT you have a good chance to meet other new walkers , especially after a good communal diner at a big Albergue the night before . Most Albergues at the start ask everyone to introduce themselves and It doesn’t take much to see a friendly face at a cafe for caffe con leche in the next few days walking. One on trip I saw 80% of my first met pilgrims all the way to Santiago. You won’t go all the way to Santiago but I’ll bet you wish you could.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have decided on the Frances in early to mid June for my first Camino. I keep hearing how crowded the Sarria to Santiago portion is at that time of year. am concerned It may be too crowded for me.

I am flying into Madrid. I'm not stuck on having to get to Santiago. I am looking for lots of beautiful nature, towns and fellow pilgrims but without a bottleneck of people. 100 to 150 km, maybe a bit more.
Any suggestions?
Consider Tui, Spain to Santiago. Just over 100 kms. Lots of info on the internet. A beautiful walk. Buen Camino.

Any suggestions?
I would start in SJPdP. There you are most likely to encounter first time walkers like yourself and be able to share, from the start, similar experiences. If you start somewhere else many of the Pilgrims you encounter will be part of established groups with shared experiences. I am not saying you could not fit in but it might be more challenging.

The Camino from Sarria to Santiago gets a little busy due to walkers who want to do the last 100 kms required to qualify for the Compostela.

There are more people on the way starting at Sarria compared to the previous 300-400 kms, but not much different from those starting at SJPDP, Pamplona, Leon, or other popular places. They start to thin out after some kms.

You can start pretty much from any city along the Camino like Pamplona and enjoy Hemingway's favorite bar (Cafe Iruna), Burgos' amazing cathedral, Leon's Casa Botines (Gaudi, Dali, and Picasso) then walk 100-150 kms.

Very important note though, if you plan to apply for the Compostela at the end of 100-150 kms, you need to complete the required "last" 100 kms to Santiago. Sarria sits at around 117 kms.

Ultreia et Suseia

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My favorite short distance walk is starting in Burgos and see how far I can get. Sahagun is 123 k from Burgos has good rail service to other cities in Spain.
A lovely section for solitude as well as flat and scenic in its own way, but the Meseta can be hot and boring.

SJPdP to Logrono at early to mid June would be nice. I don't think the CF is too crowded at that time (others, feel free to correct). That means lodging would be easy to find.

Logrono is about 150 km and one week's walk. It has easy connections to Madrid.

If you get Camino addicted it will be easier finishing the full CF because by Logrono pilgrim traffic spreads out and you don't have to consider lodging so much. That gives you more times of the year to resume.

Any suggestions?
I was going to say start at St. Jean Pied de Port or Roncesvalles. Then, if you like the experience, you can always continue another year. But if you really want to avoid potential bottlenecks, you may want to start in Pamplona instead. The initial starting bottleneck has spread out by then.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Any suggestions?
There are plenty of good suggestions. The section from Leon to Ponferrada is about 100 km and provides a variety of towns and terrain. It also includes the Cruz de Ferro (Iron Cross) which is an icon for many people. Another option could be the section from Ourense to Santiago on the Camino Sanabres.

Any suggestions?
I would then suggest to start out in St. Jean Pied de Port and walk through the Pyrenees Mountains which is my vote for the most picturesque part of the Camino. Bonus is not as many people walk from there. It’s roughly 150 km to Viana and some high points you will go through are the Basque region, Roncenvalles, Pamplona, Alto Del Perdon, Fuente De Vino (the free wine fountain) and so much more.

Thank you!

Any suggestions?
The way from Sarria to Santiago is unlikely to be crowded in June. The Holy Week pilgrims will be long gone and the summer vacation Spaniards will be hard at it in work or college. The week up to the feast of Santiago in July will be busy but June? In June you’ll gaze on the lonely road, sip your coffee in a half- empty bar and ponder the inaccuracies of the internet and received opinion.
Of course, if you really want to avoid contact with an excess of other pilgrims you could just avoid the Caminos entirely. Otherwise Sarria to Santiago ticks most of your boxes. And I suspect that when you do get to Santiago you’ll also get a sense of why so many will walk, for a few days or even a few months just to get there

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I frequently hear this comment about the last 100 km, but we walked it in June and did not have any crowding problems…except one morning when we started early. That day there were school groups and other groups…so much so that we stopped and let them by.

The trick was not to be up so early. We started about an hour later…and no crowds! In many areas we had the Camino - as far as we could see - to ourselves. The crowds were often eager for their destination and went fast. We were eager for the walk instead. Often there were a few others, but no crowds. You see the crowding if you are out early and racing for a bed at the other end. We reserved places in advance since we are slower walkers than most to begin with.

So…don’t avoid the last 100 for crowding, just alter your start time, plan ahead where you will stay and enjoy a quiet, leisurely walk. Walking if the way you would earlier portions don’t work as well for the last 100 km.

The attached photos show us on the “crowded” Camino between Sarria and Santiago in June!

Attachments

• E4082C56-2378-409B-BD34-1928E839BB1C.jpeg
    E4082C56-2378-409B-BD34-1928E839BB1C.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 44
  • 051E5D47-17EE-4924-9DF7-CE2273F0A111.jpeg
    051E5D47-17EE-4924-9DF7-CE2273F0A111.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 64
  • 1EC9DFDF-9FC6-4C41-82F9-191CA05ECAEC.jpeg
    1EC9DFDF-9FC6-4C41-82F9-191CA05ECAEC.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 42
The attached photos show us on the “crowded” Camino between Sarria and Santiago in June!

@McSherry, do you know that you have an iconic camino picture in your collection? The one with the trees. Previously, somewhere on the forum, we shared our copies of these trees. I remember that @VNwalking had one. Here's mine: [Link]

@McSherry, do you know that you have an iconic camino picture in your collection? The one with the trees. Previously, somewhere on the forum, we shared our copies of these trees. I remember that @VNwalking had one. Here's mine: [Link]
They were at the point where we reached the top of the long initial hill coming out of Portomarin. I loved how the fog obscured everything else!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I’d walk Astorga to Sarrria via Samos - about 180 km. To my eyes that is the most beautiful stretch with a couple wonderful climbs.
Thinking of that route for a short trip this Spring. But transport anywhere from Sarria, other than walking seems limited. Any advice.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Any suggestions?
How about the first half of the Primitivo from Oviedo to Lugo. Very scenic and not that many people. Quite tough walking though. 5B2FD914-586E-46ED-BBF8-A2905E1C0347.jpeg284BF225-46FD-49CD-B761-5331798CA803.jpeg

Thank you Kamleman. I guess I should also add that I want to keep it a realtively easy hike, at least my first go. Not sure Im ready to climb up mountains yet.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Personally, I wouldn't worry about "crowds" between Sarria and Santiago in June. This is a beautiful stretch of the Camino with excellent infrastructure and relatively easy walking.

The way from Sarria to Santiago is unlikely to be crowded in June. The Holy Week pilgrims will be long gone and the summer vacation Spaniards will be hard at it in work or college. The week up to the feast of Santiago in July will be busy but June? In June you’ll gaze on the lonely road, sip your coffee in a half- empty bar and ponder the inaccuracies of the internet and received opinion.
Of course, if you really want to avoid contact with an excess of other pilgrims you could just avoid the Caminos entirely. Otherwise Sarria to Santiago ticks most of your boxes. And I suspect that when you do get to Santiago you’ll also get a sense of why so many will walk, for a few days or even a few months just to get there
I walked May June in 2017, and was on the Sarria - Santiago section in late June and it was packed, a complete Conga line. There seemed to be a lot of organised tours in matching polos - some school children but mainly older adults.
No trouble getting a bed at night, but definite queues at breakfast.
We walked in June as we'd been told it wasnt going to be busy, and it wouldnt be hot. It was both of these, fires in Portugal and super hot days but I really enjoyed it.
We didnt encounter a half empty anything, but prior to Sarria it was very quiet.

Last edited:
My introduction to the Camino was Pamplona to Logrono. 8 years later I am still walking various bits of different Caminos. Last year I repeated that section. Pamplona is accessible from Madrid on Renfe trains with a change in Zaragoza and there are trains direct to Madrid from Logrono. It is one of the nicest sections on the Camino Frances and has reasonable accommodation options.
Buen Camino

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Any suggestions?
Europeans who are working and have no more than a week or so to spare do the Camino Frances over a period of 3-5 years. In my view, each 150 kms has its own special features. I wouldn't rate one over another, although I expect many might rule out the meseta, which we loved. I would, however, suggest you start in a city easily reached, like Pamplona, Burgos or Leon.

I agree. Primitivo is wonderful and not crowded and you then cut over to the Norte and another route and come out by the airport. Then you have very little left on that crowded part.

Thank you all so much. I am now currently considering starting somewhere in the middle, Astorga, Burgos perhaps. I have some health concerns regarding climbs, I might be OK but I 'm not sure....how difficult are the climbs in this area ? Should I avoid Ocerebriero?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
O’ceberio is tough if you start at villa franca, however there are some shorter options. When you leave Villa Franca, just over the bridge take a right on the Roman Pradela route. It goes high on the ridge and offers great views and though longer should not be missed. It reattached to the road route at Trabadelo , but the stay at Ruitelan or Herraias . After that it goes it goes up rough , there is another good place to stay at LaFaba which is half way to O’Cebreiro.

If you are worried about tough climbs another section you could consider is Burgos to Sahagun. It falls within the 100 to 150 Km range and , apart from a bit of a hill just out of Castrojeriz, is a reasonable walk. Again both these locations are reachable by direct trains from Madrid. If you check the Resources tab on here, there are some profile plans that can give you an indication of the sections. Buen Camino

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
O’ceberio is tough if you start at villa franca, however there are some shorter options. When you leave Villa Franca, just over the bridge take a right on the Roman Pradela route. It goes high on the ridge and offers great views and though longer should not be missed. It reattached to the road route at Trabadelo , but the stay at Ruitelan or Herraias . After that it goes it goes up rough , there is another good place to stay at LaFaba which is half way to O’Cebreiro.
This is so helpful! Now I am more confident in starting in Astorga. The climb to Cruz de ferro looks more gradual-I think (hope) I should be able to handle it. I love the option to go around O'cerebriero!

I would then suggest to start out in St. Jean Pied de Port and walk through the Pyrenees Mountains which is my vote for the most picturesque part of the Camino. Bonus is not as many people walk from there. It’s roughly 150 km to Viana and some high points you will go through are the Basque region, Roncenvalles, Pamplona, Alto Del Perdon, Fuente De Vino (the free wine fountain) and so much more.
This is so appealing, but I am not confident in handling the mountain walking-yet. I hope to be able to prove to myself that I can after this first Camino.

This is so helpful! Now I am more confident in starting in Astorga. The climb to Cruz de ferro looks more gradual-I think (hope) I should be able to handle it. I love the option to go around O'cerebriero!
The walk up to Cruz de ferry is nothing special. O’Cerebriero is doable in two stages using La Faba. If you are considering walking the paved road , that’s a waste

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
This is so appealing, but I am not confident in handling the mountain walking-yet.
The part from SJPDP to Orisson is very steep, but it's mostly on asphalt or a nice path. Other than the steepness, there's nothing difficult about it at all. Lots of other parts with more difficult terrain, like really rocky trails.
You can see what this stage looks like in this video.

Last edited:
This is so appealing, but I am not confident in handling the mountain walking-yet. I hope to be able to prove to myself that I can after this first Camino.
If you do not wish to walk the Pyrenees you can always start in Roscenvalles

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
The part from SJPDP to Orisson is very steep, but it's mostly on asphalt or a nice path. Other than the steepness, there's nothing difficult about it at all. Lots of other parts with more difficult terrain, like really rocky trails.
You can see what this stage looks like in this video.

These videos are priceless! Now I can make a more informed choice. Thank you!

That's what I was hearing from Spaniards in 1989. Although I think there is a case that the real traditional beginning is your front door.
Yes that is true but for me impossible from Central America. Either a long swim or a boat ride. :)

€83,-
Sooo, after much deliberation, I have decided to walk Sarria to Santiago after all. Since it is my first time, it is the choice I returned to.
I now have all my travel booked to Madrid then Sarria, including rooms to start out. I found a pair of comfortable hiking shoes, and am close to a decision on a backpack. Walking more, strength training 2 days a week.
The beauty of it all, is going solo-I am always free to change my mind and follow the flow. I have never traveled solo before, and Im pretty excited!
Thank you to all for all of your suggestions. I looked at ALL the sections you recommended. The Pyreness and O'cerebrieo look particularly beautiful. And so does Sarria to Santiago.
Someone on theis forum said your Camino begins when you decide. This had been very true for me; it's almost mystical-the pull....I look forward to meeting fellow pilgrims and to time alone with nature. Maybe I'll even meet some of the folks on this forum! Buen Camino to all.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back