• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Insulin pump and CGM, September 2023 Camino

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2014
Camino Portugese 2018
Hello! I’m excited to think about walking the Camino again. We went from Sahagun to SdC in 2014 and Porto to SdC in 2018. Because we got a pandemic puppy one of us would likely be unable to be gone the time it would take to walk the entire CF.

on the other 2 walks we typically did not use hostels because of my insulin pump and continuous glucose monitor- I didn’t want alarms to interfere with other peregrinos sleep. Any of you out there with these devices and shared experiences?

have others sent supplies ahead to hotels or post offices? How did that work?

Have others had to purchase new insulin in Spain? How did that work?

other than travel insurance do I need any European health card or information?

Thanks for any help. Cheers, Jim

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
It's a good post Jim. I use a Dexcom CGM and recently started with an OmniPod pump. When I hiked the Frances in 2016 I brought pens and a small monitor; light and small with insulin in a Frio case. The new stuff is heavier and takes up a ton of room. I would haver to carry a larger backpack. As for the alarm, I think I'd turn it off, as I've never had a real bad low at night, but being on the Camino, the routine is so different than being at home it's a big issue.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hello! I’m excited to think about walking the Camino again. We went from Sahagun to SdC in 2014 and Porto to SdC in 2018. Because we got a pandemic puppy one of us would likely be unable to be gone the time it would take to walk the entire CF.

on the other 2 walks we typically did not use hostels because of my insulin pump and continuous glucose monitor- I didn’t want alarms to interfere with other peregrinos sleep. Any of you out there with these devices and shared experiences?

Jim,
I too am on an insulin pump and CGM.
Would too like any information. Not sure if I should carry or send insulin and supplies ahead. Also wondering how to carry medical supplies in July. How should I refrigerate humalog?

What’s your nationality Jim? That may have a bearing on the insurance question and what may be necessary to obtain insulin.

Jim,
I too am on an insulin pump and CGM.
Would too like any information. Not sure if I should carry or send insulin and supplies ahead. Also wondering how to carry medical supplies in July. How should I refrigerate humalog?
Jim, refrigerate insulin with a Frio pouch. Available on Amazon . Just soak the crystals now and then.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hey there! I wanted to chat about my experience on the 2017 Camino Frances. I'm pretty average physically, maybe a tad overweight, did some training (could've done more), and could've lightened my...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.