• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Insulin refilled

Itryhard

Time of past OR future Camino
April(2018)
Help! My type 1 diabetic walking partner has been unable to find out if she can get her American insulin prescription filled in Spain. She has sent emails and called but no one speaks English. She is getting nervous. Does anyone know or can they direct me to the proper person. Thanks

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Have you tried contacting the company here associated in making/combining her type of insulin? I would think they would be able to tell her if and where she might find the type she needs. And they should speak english

Is it impractical to take enough for the time away?

I take tablets (metformin) for type 2 diabetes and my prescription is for 8 weeks’ supply. The renewal date has fallen just right, and I’m taking 6 weeks’ supply with me. A bit bulky, but important.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I would guess it would depend on how much insulin she needs and if her needs change based on the physicality of the trip. My daughter-in-law is a Type 1 and she has different insulin needs based on how "in control" of her blood sugars is she is and what she is doing. Additionally, her insulin needs to be refridgerated when not in her monitor. So your friend may need to consider if she has a "cool pack" to keep her bottles in while she is walking. I would really urge her to contact her pharmacy here to see if they have a number to the company and ask the company if they are in Spain or if they have another company they would recommend in Spain. There is a list on here somewhere (I've seen it but can't find a link at the moment) that tells which towns have medical clinic and pharmacies. It's associated with the list of cities and albergues in each city on the way.

I have walked with folks dealing with Type I diabetes. They told me of the various methods they used to find refrigeration along the way.

If the place you are staying overnight has a refrigerator, ask to put your insulin in it. If you have a cold bag and need ice, ask at any bar / cafe. In a pinch, a friend even went to the local police station and asked to put his insulin in their employee break room refrigerator.

Pharmacists will fill your US prescription. Have copies of your prescription so you can provide one to the pharmacist if needed. Most pharmacists I have encountered speak at least some English. They can handle the prescription, as long as it is LEGIBLE.

Hope this helps.

I'm a type one insulin dependent diabetic and walked in 2016. I carried insulin in a Frio pack, which kept it plenty cool for April/May temps. With the frio packs, they are a gel that needs to be kept soaked in water. Mine never dried out. I over-soaked it, actually, and the crystals expand to where it's hard to fit the insulin in it. I carried twice as much as I needed, but it doesn't weigh that much. I allowed for dropping a bottle and breaking it, but didn't have any of those kind of problems. I also carried paper and e-copies of my prescriptions from my Dr.'s, and as diabetes is not limited to Americans, know if I needed I could visit a hospital, clinic or pharmacia in Spain and get them filled if really necessary. Customs was not an issue. I also used a lot less insulin than normal as we're burning off so many calories, and as a result, had even more than I thought I might need. I wouldn't use the albergue refrigerators as I didn't want to chance forgetting them or someone else taking them by mistake. Packing insulin is nothing to worry about. I worried more about having open blisters on my feet and infecting them in albergue showers, a big no-no for diabetics. I found leaving early and quitting early provided me a bed and clean showers.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hey there! I wanted to chat about my experience on the 2017 Camino Frances. I'm pretty average physically, maybe a tad overweight, did some training (could've done more), and could've lightened my...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.