• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Insulin

Marilyn Canada

Time of past OR future Camino
2008 Frances
2014 ??
Does anyone know if I can purchase Insulin....Flex Pens for each of Novo Rapid and Levemir.....WITHOUT ....a prescription in Spain?

I walked the Camino France's in 2008 and carried all my insulin and diabetic supplies needed for the forty days. Since then my dosage has increased significantly .....thus making carrying everything that I will need......a bit overwhelming.

I was hoping to be able to purchase it as I go....I do know it has to be purchased in boxes of five, which is not a problem.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Marilyn,

While I don't know the answer to your question, I suggest you search for posts with the keyword "insulin" and by the late member "methodist.pilgrim.98". He shared a lot of info about doing Caminos while using insulin and may have answered your question in a post. There may be some other helpful info to be found there as well.

Buen Camino!

Hi Marilyn, I will ask it for you at a phrmacy ttomorrow, stay tunned

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'm also interested in the answer to this question. I carried mine in a thermos, but wondered what would happen if I lost it or it became too hot.

I'm also interested in the answer to this question. I carried mine in a thermos, but wondered what would happen if I lost it or it became too hot.
Susan, if everything goes ok, we will know the answer tomorrow

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
As far as I have been told, you do need a Spanish doctor's prescription.
The reason is a burocratic issue. You can get the european health card and with your doctor report, a Spanish one would give you the prescription without any problem.
I will investigate this option deeper and will give you a more accurate option to avoid you to carry your insuline from your country.
Cheers!

You are a real detective!

I wonder if I paid the full price for the Insulin and not an EU subsidized price if I would still require a Spanish Doctor's prescription. I am from Canada so getting a note from an EU Doctor is not an option.

Here in Canada insulin can be purchased without a prescription, although most people do purchase it with a prescription as their drug plans usually require the prescription for coverage of payment. But in the United States you must have a prescription. So as you can see each country is different.

Many thanks for your efforts in finding an answer for me...

More news... I have been in a pharmacy and they told me that you can purchase it (w/o prescription) if you pay the full price, 46,97 euros Novorapid and 78,52 Levemir.
If you do have the prescription it is about 5 euros each...
They told me that you have to check if there is any agreement between countries, to ask a Spanish Dr. for the prescription and then, the lower price.
I hope it helps.
Cheers!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
More news... I have been in a pharmacy and they told me that you can purchase it (w/o prescription) if you pay the full price, 46,97 euros Novorapid and 78,52 Levemir.
If you do have the prescription it is about 5 euros each...
They told me that you have to check if there is any agreement between countries, to ask a Spanish Dr. for the prescription and then, the lower price.
I hope it helps.
Cheers!

Roberbolo......thanks so much for this information......you are now promoted to Chief of Detectives!

Although the 5 euro price would be great, I am afraid that coming from Canada I will be paying the more expensive prices. Interesting that when converted to Canadian dollars the prices are about the same as I pay at home.

But the convience of being able to purchase insulin in Spain without a prescription is priceless!

Again thank you for all your detective work....

Marilyn

Does anyone know if I can purchase Insulin....Flex Pens for each of Novo Rapid and Levemir.....WITHOUT ....a prescription in Spain?

I walked the Camino France's in 2008 and carried all my insulin and diabetic supplies needed for the forty days. Since then my dosage has increased significantly .....thus making carrying everything that I will need......a bit overwhelming.

I was hoping to be able to purchase it as I go....I do know it has to be purchased in boxes of five, which is not a problem.
Great question! I would suggest getting a copy of your prescription to take with you and an ID. Should not be a problem, most pharmacies should assist you. Try searching your question on google, I once saw a journal of a diabetic man who did the entire camino but can not remember where.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Hey there! I wanted to chat about my experience on the 2017 Camino Frances. I'm pretty average physically, maybe a tad overweight, did some training (could've done more), and could've lightened my...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.