• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Insurance

Peter Morrill

A more mundane question for UK pilgrims.
I am doing my first Camino in April this year, flying to Biarritz (74p on RyanAir!) As the flight arrives evening I want to get a B&B in Biarritz and get a train to St Jean Pied de Port the next day. Does any know any good cheap hotels there?

The more important question is:
I have my E111 medical form, but is it advisable to get further travel insurance and if so are there any recommendations?

Many thanks

Peter Morrill

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi Peter,

I did some googling and found a hotel from 36,- euros a night (Hotel Tulip Inn Louisiane Biarritz). I have not stayed there, so I can not recommend anything.

More here:
http://www.holidaycityeurope.com/biarritzhotels/

I hope some UK pilgrims can help you with the E111 question. I was under the impression that EU citizens was covered in EU.

I am also interested in hearing from other pilgrims regarding what insurance (if any) they have used for a pilgrimage.

Welcome to Santiago,
Ivar

Peter Morrill said:
A more mundane question for UK pilgrims.
I am doing my first Camino in April this year, flying to Biarritz (74p on RyanAir!) As the flight arrives evening I want to get a B&B in Biarritz and get a train to St Jean Pied de Port the next day. Does any know any good cheap hotels there?

The airport is at Anglet, midway between Biarritz and Bayonne (which is really one conurbation). The train goes from Bayonne, which is the historic cathedral city. Unless you particularly want to see Biarritz - it is a fine situation - it would be out of your way to go there, and being a fashionable resort it's also pricier than Bayonne. You can get a bus from the airport to Bayonne station; there's several hotels around there, or you can stroll over the river to the old town where there are others. I have stopped in several hotels in Bayonne; last year the *** Grand (one of the best in town) cost me €60. Compared to Britain, all hotels in France are cheap! (And in Spain they're even cheaper.) You can get a list from the tourist office at http://www.tourisme64.com/ (though their server seems to be down at present). Or see what Ryanair and all the other discount websites can offer you.

An alternative to catching the train is to walk to St Jean. The Pyr-Atl Amis have marked a route from Bayonne (67km). See their website for sketch maps etc http://www.aucoeurduchemin.org/spip/aaa_carte.php3

Peter Morrill said:
I have my E111 medical form, but is it advisable to get further travel insurance and if so are there any recommendations?

The E111 covers the actual medical costs (generally you have to pay and get refunded later). Insurance will cover costs of repatriation (and various other things). Depends on how high you regard that risk. Travel insurance is not expensive these days; Ryanair for example will be happy to sell you some.

Peter Morrill said:
Peter Morrill

as in LDWA, I assume

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

If you need to stay over-night stand outside the station in Bayonne and look left across the parking lot. There you will see the Hotel Paris Madrid which is run by Patrick and Sylvie Sorbois. A comfortable room can be had for about 30 euros +/-.

This is your own decision. All I can say is that when I needed the hospital in Spain they did not even ask me for my E111 form and never mentioned any cost, but that was for a simple A&E problem. I have an annual travel insurance though and I would not really advise against it.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.