• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Intense heatwave

Falcon

Time of past OR future Camino
French Route, want to try Primitive route (Asturias-Santiago)
Saw a few links today on BBC and here:

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2016/...-temperatures-soar-spain-160704094429055.html

Intense heatwave sees temperatures soar across Spain
Heat warnings issued across the Iberian peninsula as dangerously hot weather sets in.

The capital, Madrid, also recorded a maximum of 37C on Sunday, above the average June and July temperature of 27C and 31C respectively. Highs in Madrid have exceeded 33C every day since June 20.

How are people doing on the Camino with these temperatures?

Last edited by a moderator:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Falcon

Thanks for the update. We have just returned from Croatia and the temperature is an intense 33C too.... and that was severe! I might have to repack and hopefully, this will lessen my load further! ;)

Yesterday this memory popped up for me on Facebook from July 4, 2015, one year ago:

"Checking in from Los Arcos. Arrived at 12pm after 6 hours 45 minutes of walking. Last time I walked this stretch was 2011 and it was nice to see again. Some changes, new water fountain in the middle of nowhere... helpful in 37 degrees Celcius heat. Feeling it right now, in bed resting. Need more water and a good healthy dinner tonight. Heatwave ridiculous, but thankful for good friends to lean in with."

It's easy to forget sometimes how hot it can be on the Camino for hours and hours of walking, and that day from Estella to Los Arcos was a scorcher. The night I slept in Zubiri last year was the hottest most miserable (and mostly sleepless) night I've spent on the Camino so far, and the night in Estella was a close second. Hot and stuffy! There was also a heat wave in 2012 when I walked in June-July. I got up and went outside at midnight in Castrojeriz, just to feel some air moving at all.

I'll be walking the Camino Francés again in about three weeks and I still have some packets of the electrolyte powder I bought in Los Arcos last year. A woman from Norway who'd ended up in hospital for three days in Pamplona (after collapsing of dehydration in Zubiri) had given me one of her packets in Estella and I found more at a farmacia when I got to Los Arcos. She'd always thought that if you drink enough water on a hot day, that would be enough. But while the volume of water she consumed was adequate, she wasn't replacing the salts she sweated out (that's in layman's terms, I'm sure the doctor at the hospital explained it more scientifically than that).

I start walking early in the day, make sure I carry at least one litre of water, I'll have the electrolyte packets with me, and I'll have some Aquarius to drink too (it only took me until my 4th Camino to realise Aquarius is similar to Gatorade ;)). That and enjoying little pockets of shade and breeze when they appear, for as long as they last. My sunhat helps too!

Rachel

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It would be interesting to see what relief, if any, an umbrella with UV protection might provide in such heat.

Also, it helps me sleep at night in such heat if I lay a cold, wet towel over my body. I may have to get up and wet the towel again during the night, but it is worth it.

Also, it helps me sleep at night in such heat if I lay a cold, wet towel over my body. I may have to get up and wet th towel again during the night, but it is worth it.
More than 70 summers ago before air conditioning was the norm in NYC my mother did just that to cool me down during hot/humid weather. Some tricks never go out of fashion!

Yesterday this memory popped up for me on Facebook from July 4, 2015, one year ago:

"Checking in from Los Arcos. Arrived at 12pm after 6 hours 45 minutes of walking. Last time I walked this stretch was 2011 and it was nice to see again. Some changes, new water fountain in the middle of nowhere... helpful in 37 degrees Celcius heat. Feeling it right now, in bed resting. Need more water and a good healthy dinner tonight. Heatwave ridiculous, but thankful for good friends to lean in with."

It's easy to forget sometimes how hot it can be on the Camino for hours and hours of walking, and that day from Estella to Los Arcos was a scorcher. The night I slept in Zubiri last year was the hottest most miserable (and mostly sleepless) night I've spent on the Camino so far, and the night in Estella was a close second. Hot and stuffy! There was also a heat wave in 2012 when I walked in June-July. I got up and went outside at midnight in Castrojeriz, just to feel some air moving at all.

I'll be walking the Camino Francés again in about three weeks and I still have some packets of the electrolyte powder I bought in Los Arcos last year. A woman from Norway who'd ended up in hospital for three days in Pamplona (after collapsing of dehydration in Zubiri) had given me one of her packets in Estella and I found more at a farmacia when I got to Los Arcos. She'd always thought that if you drink enough water on a hot day, that would be enough. But while the volume of water she consumed was adequate, she wasn't replacing the salts she sweated out (that's in layman's terms, I'm sure the doctor at the hospital explained it more scientifically than that).

I start walking early in the day, make sure I carry at least one litre of water, I'll have the electrolyte packets with me, and I'll have some Aquarius to drink too (it only took me until my 4th Camino to realise Aquarius is similar to Gatorade ;)). That and enjoying little pockets of shade and breeze when they appear, for as long as they last. My sunhat helps too!

Rachel
My two cents Rachel: be careful of Aquarius--its made by Coca/Cola and that means sugar--just like Gatorade and that will work against you in the heat. There's a reason running coaches ban Gatorade from summer heat workouts. Read up on it and Aquarius before drinking it to stay hydrated. I think you'll change your mind...instead try water with electrolytes the night before and during, coconut water (know it's not readily available on the Camjno), bananas and chocolate milk (afterwards for recovery). Talk to elite runners--they won't go near thus stuff.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

No heatwave on the Camino Francés. I mean no extraordinary temperatures on the Camino Francés. You can find maximum temperatures in the low 30's (ºC) some days on some locations what may be considered by you as hot (or as not so hot) but what it's pretty usual.

The capital, Madrid, also recorded a maximum of 37C on Sunday, above the average June and July temperature of 27C and 31C respectively. Highs in Madrid have exceeded 33C every day since June 20.

That's hot for Madrid but not an intense heatwave. In fact, technically, it may be not hot enough as to call it a heatwave although it may be close to it but even if it reached the minimun to be considered a heatwave, it would be far from being an intense one because it would barely reach the category of heatwave.

Last edited by a moderator:
My two cents Rachel: be careful of Aquarius--its made by Coca/Cola and that means sugar--just like Gatorade and that will work against you in the heat. There's a reason running coaches ban Gatorade from summer heat workouts. Read up on it and Aquarius before drinking it to stay hydrated. I think you'll change your mind...instead try water with electrolytes the night before and during, coconut water (know it's not readily available on the Camjno), bananas and chocolate milk (afterwards for recovery). Talk to elite runners--they won't go near thus stuff.

Thanks, CowboyJoe :)

I didn't drink a lot of Aquarius, I mostly drink water (and added a packet of the electrolyte powder to it to sip from as I walked sometimes). I don't ever drink Gatorade because I don't like the list of ingredients. At least Aquarius had fewer. But water is best, and my favourite. Bananas too, yep!

I might try the cold wet towel this year. :)

Rachel

QUOTE"Checking in from Los Arcos. Arrived at 12pm after 6 hours 45 minutes of walking. Last time I walked this stretch was 2011 and it was nice to see again. Some changes, new water fountain in the middle of nowhere... helpful in 37 degrees Celcius heat. Feeling it right now, in bed resting. Need more water and a good healthy dinner tonight. Heatwave ridiculous, but thankful for good friends to lean in with."

Rachel,
My husband and I probably crossed paths with you last year. We were through Los Arcos on July 7th, but because of a stress fracture in my left foot, we moved along slowly. How could anyone walk quickly in those furnace temps, anyway?
Not sure which part of Canada you're from, but we are roasting in St. Catharines, ON today. The Golden Horseshoe is expecting temperatures in the low 30s. Thought I might strap on my backpack and practise for next summer's Camino.
~Penny

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Rachel,
My husband and I probably crossed paths with you last year. We were through Los Arcos on July 7th, but because of a stress fracture in my left foot, we moved along slowly. How could anyone walk quickly in those furnace temps, anyway?
Not sure which part of Canada you're from, but we are roasting in St. Catharines, ON today. The Golden Horseshoe is expecting temperatures in the low 30s. Thought I might strap on my backpack and practise for next summer's Camino.
~Penny

Hi Penny,

I was in SJPP June 27th, Roncesvalles June 28th, Zubiri June 29th, Trinidad de Arre June 30th,
Pamplona July 1st for Canada Day :), Puente la Reina July 2nd, Estella July 3rd, and Los Arcos July 4th,
so we probably did cross paths, yes!

I'm from Nova Scotia but am living overseas in Europe at the moment. It's hotter here and more humid than I'm used to by the ocean (more like what I experienced in Ontario when I lived there), so I feel for you! Hurray for your Camino 2017 plans and practice! :D

Rachel

It would be interesting to see what relief, if any, an umbrella with UV protection might provide in such heat.
I used the Euroschirm umbrella last Summer, for the VdlP, not the Camino francés. I have the one with the silver lining, hands free and it was great. Made a lot of difference for long treks without any shade. Not sure we could have walked so many kms/day without it....
Then later, it was useful against the rain around Salamanca :rolleyes: :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I walked part of the Plata two years ago during intense heat, and I started to find myself wanting to lick the salt blocks put out for the animals (I didn't, but I craved to!)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
One litre of water is likely not enough to carry in high heat, unless you are also drinking a litre at every fountain.

Last year on the EPW it was 37-38 degrees. I drank more than 7 litres of fluid and still only had one call of nature.

Buen hydration!

One litre of water is likely not enough to carry in high heat, unless you are also drinking a litre at every fountain.

Last year on the EPW it was 37-38 degrees. I drank more than 7 litres of fluid and still only had one call of nature.

Buen hydration!

Hi, NorthernLight! (beautiful forum name :))

If that was in reference to me writing that I carry at least a litre, I carry more when it's really hot (one reason I love my 50L backpack, I can carry extra water in it and it stays cool for a while). I also refill when I get the opportunity. It can be a little trickier for women to find a private place to pee on parts of the Camino than men, but that's no excuse not to drink enough water (and yes, if it's hot enough you can drink a lot and still not need to pee that much).

I really love the way we pilgrims look out for each other. It makes me smile.

Rachel

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2016/...-temperatures-soar-spain-160704094429055.html

Heat warnings issued across the Iberian peninsula as dangerously hot weather sets in.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hopefylly I will walk my last 10 km in to Santiago de Compostela tomorrow.
Yes, it is very, very hot on the Camino.
Just to put your head under the fountains and make your hair wet, is cooling for a while.

Yes, it is very, very hot on the Camino.

On the Camino Francés, this summer is being hot (i.e.: above average) but not very hot (no heatwave yet and barely any alert due to high temperatures). If you find it very very hot, don't even consider other caminos like the Vía de la Plata or even the Camino Francés on a really hot year.

To the OP:

In Terradillos as I type. V. Hot. People are starting early, some are covering up completely, nearly everyone is wearing a hat and glasses, people are hydrating with water in shade, fruit is popular.

Early: people were moving from Santa Clara at 5am (Carrion). There are new "bars" at Calazillla.

Santa Clara was full by 2pm yesterday. But generally there is not a rush for accommodation on the Meseta right now.

The Hospetarios are concerned with the UV index which we were told in Boadilla was at the highest point on the index.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

We finished yesterday. It has been hot for a while, but nothing a few beers couldn't resolve. X

In Terradillos as I type. V. Hot

Let's put some perspective. Temperatures measured today at 16:20 according to www.aemet.es (the web of the Spanish State-Owned Weather Agency)

Carrión de los Condes (the closest on the Camino to Terradillos de los Templarios with data available): 33ºC

Ourense (on the Camino Sanabrés): 35.5ºC (in this case the measure isn't at 16:20 but at 16:30)

Mérida (on the Vía de la Plata): 40ºC

Córdoba airport (Córdoba is on the Camino Mozárabe): 41ºC

If you find 33ºC very hot, as I said above, forget about other caminos like the Vía de la Plata or the Camino Mozárabe at this time of the year. If you just can walk on July or August, I would suggest to look for the Camino del Norte or the Camino Primitivo where the temperatures are lower than on the Francés (today, so far, they didn't reach 30ºC in Irún, Bilbao, Santander, Gijón, Oviedo... In fact, some of those cities, so far, didn't reach 25ºC today).

Before you reach for the Gatorade look at the contents label:
upload_2016-7-9_18-38-44.png

a litre would give you 56g of sugars equivalent to about 14/15 teaspoons of sugar or about 4x the amount of sugar you'd want and only 110mg of sodium is about 1/5 of your need.

Can I suggest this homebrew:

upload_2016-7-9_18-43-3.png
To which I add some fruit juice for flavour and carry two bottles - one of homebrew and one of plain water.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi - when it is hot out there ... drinking lots of water isn't really enough - one of the main losses through heavy continuous sweating is loss of salt (Sodium and Chloride, two of our electrolytes) and if you get too low then you will have problems, eventually serious problems .. if you are finding that you are feeling weak or faint and/or dizzy or are getting muscle cramps (especially at night) try increasing your salt intake - considerably!!
Also, occasionally taste your sweat - is it salty? It should be! If it isn't your body needs salt, as soon as you can get some in there.

If you are exerting and have stopped sweating don't think this is a good thing, this is not a good thing - rehydrate straight away ... though the best way to hydrate is at night before you go to bed and early in the morning, gives the body time whilst you aren't active to replenish and re-balance all of your body cells.

It may sound strange as you would assume that this would make you feel thirstier! - but, try adding a large pinch of salt - preferably an iodene rich sea salt - into your water bottle each time you refill.

Also, drinking large amounts of pure water and passing lots of water leaches out the other electroylites in your body and these also need to be replaced - there are some foods that will help with this .. bananas, milk, green veg, etc but the simplest, or more reliable method is to use electrolyte replenishment sachets such as Dioralyte, which you can get in any big supermarket or pharmacy - carry quite a few of these with you and you can help other pilgrims too!

Stay away - completely away - from all the "energy" drinks, they are just high sugar drinks .. ridiculously high in sugar (as mentioned above) .. you get a sugar rush for twenty minutes and then your blood sugar levels fall to much lower than they were .. so you do it again .. peaks and troughs, peaks and troughs .. and your poor body having to throw out insulin to lower the peak every time - so stay away from any drink that has sugar in it .. hey - and this includes sugar in coffee and tea .. and, sorry guys, if you look at the main ingredient of an "energy" bar it is sugar ..... so go natural .. fruits and nuts, seeds, cheese, - if you want a real fantastic taste feeling try popping fresh tomatoes into your mouth!!

Sorry to go on - but if it is hot out there you need to stay healthy - replenish salt and the other electrolytes and stay completely away from sugar - you know it makes sense :);)

What @David has said plus this little test/trick: Put a bit of salt on your hand and lick it, if it tastes good, your body needs more, when the pure salt starts to taste bad, your body has enough.
Also watch the color of your urine, it should be light colored (like Chardonnay ;-) but not dark and concentrated like really old sherry or some whiskeys. Buen Camino, SY
PS. Sorry for the beverage reference, couldn't think of anything else ...

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi - when it is hot out there ... drinking lots of water isn't really enough - one of the main losses through heavy continuous sweating is loss of salt (Sodium and Chloride, two of our electrolytes) and if you get too low then you will have problems, eventually serious problems .. if you are finding that you are feeling weak or faint and/or dizzy or are getting muscle cramps (especially at night) try increasing your salt intake - considerably!! [...plus lots more interesting information...]

Thank you, David, for a wealth of helpful ideas I'll take with me when I start walking in a couple of weeks!

Rachel :)

What @David has said plus this little test/trick: Put a bit of salt on your hand and lick it, if it tastes good, your body needs more, when the pure salt starts to taste bad, your body has enough.
Also watch the color of your urine, it should be light colored (like Chardonnay ;-) but not dark and concentrated like really old sherry or some whiskeys. Buen Camino, SY
PS. Sorry for the beverage reference, couldn't think of anything else ...

That almost put me off drinking whiskey :(

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Before you reach for the Gatorade look at the contents label:
View attachment 27632

a litre would give you 56g of sugars equivalent to about 14/15 teaspoons of sugar or about 4x the amount of sugar you'd want and only 110mg of sodium is about 1/5 of your need.

Can I suggest this homebrew:

View attachment 27633
To which I add some fruit juice for flavour and carry two bottles - one of homebrew and one of plain water.

Good day! Here in Cape Town we make this brew for rehydration especially after children have had bad tummy bugs. It is a magic formula and the ingredients are available everywhere!

Can't wait to get started on 1 August (God willing)

I

I have just returned from the Camino Mozarabe from Malaga to Cordoba with temperatures around 37 in the afternoon. With plenty water and protection from the sun it was doable but tough. I had a 20km stage with no towns or villages that was actually a bit scary in that heat. Kept a cool head and put my solo wilderness experience to the test that day. Enjoyed the best beer I've ever had at the end of it!

It sound a lot more dangerous to me than crossing the Pyrenees! Congratulations John.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
People have been walking caminos in the summer for a long time. They didn't have Aquarius or Gatorade or electrolyte InstaBoost gel supplements (I found several of these foil packets along the trail this morning, evidently that's what bikers run on).

Here is my advice, learned after years of Meseta Summer sun:
Beer is full of water and electrolytes, and man does it taste good after about 10 km. of sun! Carry lots of water, drink water as you go, but soon as you get anyplace, pull up a cold draft "canya," (beer) or a "clara" (beer cut with lemonade or fizzy water) to get yourself back on form. Two should do you. Three if you feel thirsty or giddy. Some olives or tortilla or fruit, then a long pull on the water... and you're good to go on to lunchtime.

An even better option is 'cerveza sin alcohol' during the day/walk. All the benefit of the beer without the confusion caused by alcohol+heat-combination.
Buen Camino, SY

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.