• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Intensive spanish lessons or language school along the way?

Janeh

I am having a lot of trouble with my left knee and may need to have it operated on -soon if needed, before I start my camino in september. I am trying to think 100% positively but just in case my knee can't manage lots of walking and I only can manage a small part of the camino, I want to have a plan B. I have booked my airfare from Australia and a return flight 6 weeks later and don't want to change this. So I thought IF my knee doesn't work out, why not stay somewhere along the camino frances and become a language student?

So my question: Does anyone know if there is a language school or similar along the camino frances (probably in Burgos or Leon??) that teaches spanish for forgeiners over a month or so? I'd like to find somewhere along the camino frances and possibly does anyone know of a place I could stay cheaply (as I will be budgeting on albergues or refugios for my walk) in order to become a full time student? Or do families billet overseas students??
(I am hoping plan B never has to come into effect, but me being me, I still need a plan B! :) ) thanks!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
An American friend had a similar situation in 2002, and the doctors told her to stop at Burgos to prevent further damage to her knee. She ended up taking 4 weeks on the northern coast, near Santander, staying with a retired teacher of Spanish who gave her classes in the morning, and she had the rest of the day to herself. I believe that she located the teacher through a language school associated with the University in Burgos, but I can give you no contact information. In any case, there are a number of opportunities for studies and I have no doubt that a number of board-watchers will be coming through with specifics for you.

You could travel on the Via de la Plata to Seville where they have an excellent Spanish School. They offer shared students accommodation - for all ages - or home stays with families, cultural events etc. This website also has excellent info on how to get to Seville.

http://www.clic.es/

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Yes - Clic in Seville is a very good school with excelent modern facilities. There are a number of schools there. But no matter where organised courses can be expensive - a cheaper alternative which I used was to to find an individual teacher and agree an hourly or daily rate. A good way of searching is on a local message board or a newspaper with classified ads - one such in Seville is:

http://www.cambalache.es/

In Seville they also simply put up handwritten posters on lamposts which is how I found my teacher!

John

thank you everyone for your imput. Hopefully I won't need it but will note it down in my camino journal in case I do! I'm very hopeful that a quick operation on my knee done soon will solve all problems and I can walk the camino in its entirity as planned! :?: :) Jane.

There is a great language school in Salamanca called Colegio Delibes, it's small and independent and reasonably priced, I really enjoyed my time there and met lots of nice people. Salamanca is also a wonderful city to spend a few weeks, it's small and cozy and beautiful - and it's on the Via de la Plata.

¡Buen camino!
http://colegiodelibes.com/

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back