• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Interest in the camino comes from far and wide (can you help me colour in my map?)

Magwood

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
See signature line for links to daily posts to blogs from many caminos
The recent thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/forum-demoscopic-ivar.30801/ inspired me to waste the best part of a day playing with the stats from my blog. I find it infinitely interesting to discover the countries from whence my visitors come (although I am sure not everyone will share my enthusiasm!). Although I write a little about life as an expat in Spain, my blog is overwhelmingly about my camino experiences.

It probably won't surprise anyone to know that the majority of visitors arrive from the USA (31% - 44,000), followed by Canada, UK, Australia, Spain, Ireland and Portugal. The figures for Spain are rather skewed because I live there and a lot of friends follow my blog who wouldn't ordinarily have an interest in the camino.

The blog stats provide a world map with the visiting countries shaded, and it is now looking quite colourful. Lots of gaps in Africa as would be expected, and although I have a few of the 'stans' there are still four remaining blank. I've had visits from remote countries I've not previously heard of (North Mariana Islands) and many that I've had to look up to find out where in the world they are situated.

Interestingly, there was an unexpected surge of visitors in the first week of January, doubling and on one day quadrupling the average numbers, so I guess a lot of people were looking for a new year's challenge. Here is a link to a PDF file of the stats with percentqges, listing all countries with numbers of visitors. Many only number one, but that still qualifies for a spot of colour on my map.

If anyone out there lives in an unlisted country I would really welcome a visit from you, as of course I would welcome a visit from anyone.
http://www.magwood.me
image.jpg

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
You just got one visitor more from the Czech Republic ;-) Great blog, have to run now, but will be back later to read more. SY

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am one of your visitors from Spain. Great blog. You are more than welcome to link to my www.thisisspain.info I am currently building out the Camino pages and would be very happy to offer you a whole page at no cost, of course.
Please let me know.

And me from Cape Town South Africa

I am one of your visitors from Spain. Great blog. You are more than welcome to link to my www.thisisspain.info I am currently building out the Camino pages and would be very happy to offer you a whole page at no cost, of course.
Please let me know.
Hey Steve, I didn't realise you were on this forum. I would love to have a page on your website and will certainly put a link to your site on my resources page. Many thanks. Maybe talk through Facebook?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Very interesting! Oddly enough, I get comparatively few visitors to my site from the UK (no idea why!). Most come from the US, of course. For me, Australia comes next. Well back of that is Canada and then UK.

The one that intrigues me the most is the Netherlands -- they are a hair behind the UK in traffic (and well ahead of the UK for people using my app). If you'd have asked me to guess where the Netherlands would be in the rankings of visitors to my site I would not have expected them to be all that high.

I'm pretty sure 7000+ of those visits are in my name Magwood! :oops:
Great work!

Most of the views to my site come from Canada, followed by Ireland.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Very interesting! Oddly enough, I get comparatively few visitors to my site from the UK (no idea why!). Most come from the US, of course. For me, Australia comes next. Well back of that is Canada and then UK.

The one that intrigues me the most is the Netherlands -- they are a hair behind the UK in traffic (and well ahead of the UK for people using my app). If you'd have asked me to guess where the Netherlands would be in the rankings of visitors to my site I would not have expected them to be all that high.

I'm not actually surprised by the Dutch numbers as I have encountered so many (without exception extremely agreeable) Dutch pilgrims on both my caminos. What does surprise me is the wide range of different countries that are represented by my visitors. I get ridiculously excited when a new country appears on my list!

I've taken a look at your site which is very nicely set out. I shall send you a comment.

Yes, seeing a new country show up is always exciting! LOL

Ivar's forums are so popular I suspect he already has *every* country 'ticked off'' -- and probably gets visits from the fine folks up on the space station! :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hey Steve, I didn't realise you were on this forum. I would love to have a page on your website and will certainly put a link to your site on my resources page. Many thanks. Maybe talk through Facebook?

Hi Yes, I joined a few weeks ago. I am looking to do the Camino del Norte in May. Before that I am doing it virtually. http://thisisspain.info/90-days

Please beep me on FB and we can tidy

Maybe someone here in Holland on a local forum visited your website, triggered by Camino de Santiago and linked it to a forum or blog
There are Dutch camino forums but because many Dutch have a good knowledge of the english language ,they like to search on english written sites like www.caminodesantiago.me.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Yup I'm from Australia

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back