• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Interesting Advice ...

Robo

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 15,16,18
VdlP 23, Invierno 23, Fisterra 23
This comment was recently posted under a video of mine on YouTube. It was probably prompted by a clip of me lying with my shoes and socks off, feet up on my pack, airing my feet........

One problem is when shoes are removed mid day. The feet will expand. Also, if soaked in water before walking is done for the day, it can cause innumerable problems. Feet up is good but best to keep shoes on until walking is done for the day.

It left me thinking that this is probably the Camino equivalent of ancient Japanese Foot Binding :eek:

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
This comment was recently posted under a video of mine on YouTube. It was probably prompted by a clip of me lying with my shoes and socks off, feet up on my pack, airing my feet........

One problem is when shoes are removed mid day. The feet will expand. Also, if soaked in water before walking is done for the day, it can cause innumerable problems. Feet up is good but best to keep shoes on until walking is done for the day.

It left me thinking that this is probably the Camino equivalent of ancient Japanese Foot Binding :eek:

Robo, I heard that urban legend many times during my first camino in 2000. I never took my boots off during the day, and boy was that a stupid decision. In my experience, no one who recommends keeping the boots on has ever tried taking boots off during a rest, so what do they know!

But there is no need for anyone to rely on someone else's opinion, because you can conduct your own scientific experiment. Try what Robo did, boots and socks off whenever possible (and soaking in water is even better) and see for yourself that your feet will thank you a thousand times over!

Robo, I heard that urban legend many times during my first camino in 2000. I never took my boots off during the day, and boy was that a stupid decision. In my experience, no one who recommends keeping the boots on has ever tried taking boots off during a rest, so what do they know!

But there is no need for anyone to rely on someone else's opinion, because you can conduct your own scientific experiment. Try what Robo did, boots and socks off whenever possible (and soaking in water is even better) and see for yourself that your feet will thank you a thousand times over!

I haven't tried the soaking in water yet, as I worry my feet will stay moist and get blisters...... :eek:
But it sure is tempting! :D

I think the original comment is clear evidence.........
to read plenty before going on your first Camino.
And weigh up the advice you read.
And YOU Decide what makes sense, to YOU. ;)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I haven't tried the soaking in water yet, as I worry my feet will stay moist and get blisters...... :eek:
But it sure is tempting! :D

I think the original comment is clear evidence.........
to read plenty before going on your first Camino.
And weigh up the advice you read.
And YOU Decide what makes sense, to YOU. ;)

You're right that they would have to get totally dry before you put your socks back on (and, if you have done things right, your socks will have totally dried by lying in the sun on some hot pavement or rocks somewhere). And if you are lucky enough to find an icy stream to soak them in (sitting next to the old mill in Ponte Maceira on the way to Finisterre comes to mind), you also have to make sure to let your feet warm up again before you walk on them. So all in all this makes for a LONG restorative break, something that you just can't rush. But your feet will thank you.

One of the lucky ones. Never took shoes or socks off and never got a blister. And that's for 2 caminos from SJPdp to SdC. Wore Topo trail runners first time and Altra trial runners the second time both because I need the wide toe box and narrow heel. Have had blisters in other locations wearing other shoes so IMO the secret is to find the shoes/boots that suit you.
Buen camino, peregrino.

Ha. I totally changed my foot regime this year after a fairly disastrous first Camino and taking my boots off as often as possible to air and dry my feet was a huge part of it along with the use of vaseline. I guess everyone's feet behave differently but I'd suggest that in most cases if your feet expand sufficiently during a rest break that it's a problem getting back into your boots your footwear is probably too small.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I heard that urban legend many times during my first camino in 2000. I never took my boots off during the day, and boy was that a stupid decision.
@peregrina2000, not so much an urban myth as an ancient mountaineering rule, at least in some parts of the world: Don't take your boots off during the day and don't wash your socks during the trip. I remember that we used to keep our socks in separate plastic bags under the mattress when overnight in alpine huts :). I followed the rule for decades and never had a blister!

Alas, the rule is totally unsuitable for camino walking where it's too hot, too long, too flat and too fast by comparison. Like you, I regret that I did not dump this rule earlier on the way to Santiago.

Last edited:

I didn't really get blisters (a couple of hot spots only) on three Caminos, but the few times I aired my feet or soaked them in a stream it felt wonderful. My feet thanked and even kissed me! :D

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I think all of our well meaning advise and opinions on how to care for our feet during the day walking is similar to our opinions on the "perfect" boot/shoe...one size doesn't fit all. ;)

True!
I only took my boots off during the day's walk on a few occasions, when I felt that my feet needed it. Mostly they stayed on the whole day and that worked fine for me.

The no taking shoes off advice makes no sense to me. Feet swell regardless of whether you have shoes on or off. As for soaking your feet in cold water, I did this once on the Camino Frances and it felt marvelous, but I was careful to completely dry my feet before putting my socks back on. One of my walking companions wasn't so careful, and he got some bad blisters.

My routine was to change into dry socks a couple times a day. Each time I did this, I would rub my feet with Vaseline. The sweaty socks I had just taken off would get safety pinned to the back of my pack to dry. While I had my shoes and socks off I would give my feet a good rubdown. This always felt marvelous. This routine served me well.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Don't know about US troops, but I've read that British soldiers on a march switch into another pair of socks around noon. I've been doing that ever since I read it. Supposed to cut down on blisters by keeping your feet dry. It does feel good, and last camino, not too many blisters.

The no taking shoes off advice makes no sense to me. Feet swell regardless of whether you have shoes on or off. As for soaking your feet in cold water, I did this once on the Camino Frances and it felt marvelous, but I was careful to completely dry my feet before putting my socks back on. One of my walking companions wasn't so careful, and he got some bad blisters.

My routine was to change into dry socks a couple times a day. Each time I did this, I would rub my feet with Vaseline. The sweaty socks I had just taken off would get safety pinned to the back of my pack to dry. While I had my shoes and socks off I would give my feet a good rubdown. This always felt marvelous. This routine served me well.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I know that a lot of people don't like to take off their boots and their feet are fine, and that's great. My only concern is that there are people (like me many years ago) whose feet are not comfortable in those shoes all day, but who keep them on because of some myth that their feet will not fit back into the shoes once they are off. Taking off the boots makes the source of compression go away, so swelling decreases.

So my bottom line is, if your feet are happy in their boots all day, go ahead and leave them on, but no one should think that taking boots off will have any negative impact at all.

I know that a lot of people don't like to take off their boots and their feet are fine, and that's great. My only concern is that there are people (like me many years ago) whose feet are not comfortable in those shoes all day, but who keep them on because of some myth that their feet will not fit back into the shoes once they are off. Taking off the boots makes the source of compression go away, so swelling decreases.

So my bottom line is, if your feet are happy in their boots all day, go ahead and leave them on, but no one should think that taking boots off will have any negative impact at all.

Well that is an interesting topic, to me anyway, because I suffered from dreadful blisters this Summer. For the first time. After thousands of km, in heat, in torrential downpours.....
And the one thing I never did was to take off my boots mid-walk!

Of course after the blister panic I then did, wherever I was, usually in the middle of a forest high up in the mountains :rolleyes: only to be told later of dreadful snake bites encountered by other pilgrims and their dogs:eek:

So I don't know. Maybe it is what did it for me, not drying my feet half way though... It isn't always easy though... Still pondering...

I wouldn't like to repeat the experience :confused:

I will be doing my first Camino in October and this thread is exactly what I need to get an answer from. Can I walk with my boots for about 8km, then with my Crocks for 2km, and then again boots for 8km, replacing the boots with Crocks for 2km after every 8kms of boots?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I will be doing my first Camino in October and this thread is exactly what I need to get an answer from. Can I walk with my boots for about 8km, then with my Crocks for 2km, and then again boots for 8km, replacing the boots with cocs for 2km after every 8kms of boots?
Interesting idea I've never quite heard of before. If you try it out on some training walks at home with your loaded pack weight and like the results, then why not.?

my feet hike hot
I would take my shoes off on any break lasting more than 10-15 minutes
at 15-20 Km I would change out socks - They would never FEEL damp as I wore them but once removed you could feel the moisture in them
changing socks made all the difference
the one day I didn't stop to change, I had hot spots by the end of the day

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Ha. I totally changed my foot regime this year after a fairly disastrous first Camino and taking my boots off as often as possible to air and dry my feet was a huge part of it along with the use of vaseline. I guess everyone's feet behave differently but I'd suggest that in most cases if your feet expand sufficiently during a rest break that it's a problem getting back into your boots your footwear is probably too small.

I had blister problems. Got them on day two and had them till I got home. What helped teh most was a change in shoes. Well, really from low hikers to hiking sandals. Great decisions. I keep flip flopping back and forth about whether or not I need to take shoes with me or just my sandals.

I'm a big believer in airing out your feet when you take rest breaks - especially in warm weather.

Last year I only got one tiny blister on the side of my toe. I had not been taking enough time when I stopped to take off my shoes and socks and inspect my feet, and I first noticed it when I stopped for lunch in San Juan de Ortega, and there it was.
Flash forward to this year, and I swear that my feet have a memory, because as I was walking between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega my right foot, the one that had the blister last year, practically started screaming at me "let me out of this shoe!" That must have been right around the point that the blister developed last year, and my foot remembered it! I stopped at the "hippie" donativo snack stop, and changed into sandals. There was no blister this time, and that was the only time that I felt like I absolutely must get out of my shoes.

I will be doing my first Camino in October and this thread is exactly what I need to get an answer from. Can I walk with my boots for about 8km, then with my Crocks for 2km, and then again boots for 8km, replacing the boots with Crocks for 2km after every 8kms of boots?
My brother in law walked in crocs on several occasions, sometimes all day when his blisters got bad. Not in the rain or on rough terrain but there are plenty of places where the walking is easy.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hola @Robo - another posting that raises almost as many responses as there are pilgrims. Me I am in the take boots off during mid-day stops camp. On hotter days even the outer socks come off to allow the built up sweat/heat to evaporate. The method worked (for me at least) no blisters between Pamplona and Santiago and that included two or three days or walking in rain (thankfully not consecutive days) and more than a couple of occasions walking more than 28 km in a day.
But as the saying goes - to each her/his own. Cheers

Yes, if you have strong enough ankles and feet not to need any support. I do, and have walked a lot in crocs without any problems.

Hola @Robo - another posting that raises almost as many responses as there are pilgrims. Me I am in the take boots off during mid-day stops camp. On hotter days even the outer socks come off to allow the built up sweat/heat to evaporate. The method worked (for me at least) no blisters between Pamplona and Santiago and that included two or three days or walking in rain (thankfully not consecutive days) and more than a couple of occasions walking more than 28 km in a day.
But as the saying goes - to each her/his own. Cheers

I go the 'whole hog' a couple of times a day, usually swapping socks too. And reapplying vaseline!

"Assume The Position" ! :eek:

Sorry I couldn't find a photo :oops:

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
So I've been scratching my head trying to come up with some theory about how this "don't take off your shoes" advice could have possibly developed. One thing that occurs to me is that perhaps it is related to the empirically verifiable observation that your feet tend to swell on planes, and hence many people recommend not taking off shoes while flying because it may hurt to get them back on. But my non-scientific googling reveals that the cause of swelling feet on planes are two conditions that are conspicuously absent when you are walking. For one thing, swelling on a flight is caused by inactivity, causing blood to pool in the veins. And for another, the bend of the leg in the sitting position, made worse by crossed legs, increases pressure in the veins and also contributes to swelling.

But Kathar1na did say that this is an old saw from the world of mountaineering. I don't doubt that for a minute, but note that lots of the modern hiking blogs and websites of hiking boot manufacturers do recommend taking off shoes when resting. Even REI says: Air out your feet, shoes and socks often, such as during restbreaks as well as overnight. But if mountaineering legends are like urban legends, they die a long slow death, and that may be what we are dealing with here.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
But Kathar1na did say that this is an old saw from the world of mountaineering.
I was totally surprised when Google provided me with a link to an April 2017 article in a (smallish) magazine for hiking in the Alps with advice on how to care for one's feet when hiking in mountains, i.e. tours of a few days maximum, which says something like this:
  • Why taking off your boots is not always the best solution: Caution is advised concerning the topic "shoes off" during the hike. Leave your shoes on during short breaks. The reason: You have firmly tied your shoe laces - when you take your boots off your feet will swell. If you then put them on again, pressure points are automatically created - especially when walking downhill.
I'm not claiming that this advice is correct, just trying to provide an explanation for this advice. Note that one is also supposed to tie the laces differently depending on whether one walks uphill or downhill. Whether the advice and the explanation is correct or not, I think it is of no interest to pilgrims.

No advice concerning washing socks in the article. If I remember correctly, the reason for not washing them was either that residue from the washing powder could foster blisters or that freshly washed socks could make the skin of your feet too dry (less "greasy") which could also cause blisters. But those were different times, with a lot less modern fiber technology than today :).

So I've been scratching my head trying to come up with some theory about how this "don't take off your shoes" advice could have possibly developed... But if mountaineering legends are like urban legends, they die a long slow death, and that may be what we are dealing with here.
Yes it's a strange one and its common among mountaineers, I once had the pleasure of discussing this with our very own legend, Edmund Hillary - yup that Ed. We were at a posh do at Government House and we shared a long chat over a cold beer discussing blister care. He thought it came from the old days when it was important to keep your leather boots in the right shape. He also explained that it was hard to wash socks at high altitude and the old woolen socks they wore had lanolin in them so keeping them on and not washing them meant that you ended up with a good greasy build up to keep your feet lubricated and blister free, though his concerns were more about frost bite.

I observed pilgrims changing into sandals or other alternative footwear during the day to give their feet a break from boots. It seemed to work for them. If it works for you, then I'd go for it.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Terrain not always conducive to the thin soles. I wore mine at nite but never on the trails
That's why I will do most of my walking in boots. I just want to wear the Crocs for short distances for my feet to rest from the tight enclosure of the boot,

Skimmed through responce....it's a lot...insufficient circulation to the feet and legs will cause swelling. Reason could bee very individual, but heat, age, all weighs in...

This has been causing havoc for me personally...ending in hospital when arriving Burgos..

Luckily there is solutions. For me , low cut compression socks with open toes.

The guy who originated to this thread might have had swelling in mind....but... Regrettingly it does not help to keep shoes on...I've tried....compression socks do help!

Hope this might bee helpful.

That's why I bought boots in half a size larger. Worked for me.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Something of an oversimplification here, but hopefully it may shed a wee bit of light on the matter.

IF the footwear is too small/too tight to begin with (as was the custom many decades back), removing said footwear will allow the naturally-occurring expansion/swelling to "express itself", where before it had previously been prevented. Then the feet will not go back in.

On the other hand, if the footwear/socks combination being used will allow/accommodate the natural expansion/swelling that occurs, there will be no problem.

As always, your experience and opinion may vary.

I buy my boots half a size too big. I take them and my socks off every time I stop. I air my feet and dry my by now rather sweaty socks in the sun. If I haven't walked too far I put them back on. If it's a long day I change socks mid-day. It also gives me a chance to check for any tell-tale red marks suggesting hot spots that I may not yet have felt. During my first two Caminos I only got one pressure blister on my heel. New walking shoes caused problems on my latest Camino and I did have blisters early on. I take care of them impeccably, and this involves long enough breaks to allow time to change any dressings, disinfect any areas that have got dirty in my socks and allow the blisters themselves some air. So far I have always managed to prevent any blisters getting bad this way. I'm sure it's horses for courses but I can't imagine having my feet in boots and socks all day and not airing them, or checking for problems before they begin.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.