• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Interesting Pilgrim food hacks?

evanlow

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
After 11 Caminos, want to Ruta de la Lana next...
1. Stopping for a break for the last push to Sahagun on the Camino del Madrid, Maura pulled out some leftover bread and a banana and said 'interesting, a banana sandwich'....

2. One morning after waiting for the bar to open, discovered they just have coffee, no food (not even those plastic wrapped ones) I pulled a boiled egg inside my backpack (tendency to buy half a dozen and boil them the night before) together with a slice of bread and a Mayo squirt bottle, crushed the egg, fold the bread in half, squirt some mayo and had an egg sandwich. (Mayo generally lasts 3-4 days before they turn light yellow). One of the them said "wow, that's looks like a hack from a pro".

Got me wondering, what other pilgrim food hacks are out there? Especially given the constrains of the Camino....

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'm a half dozen boiled eggs and tube of mayonaise in the pack man myself (and some salt). Saved my bacon more than once in France.
I also usually have one or two little tins of fish as last resort/panic food: sardines, mackerel or plain tuna.
Some bread is in my pack on principle: covers breakfast, lunch and dinner if need be. The same goes for fruit.
It is nice to be able to dish out an impromptu meal and even better to share it with someone who is caught off guard foodwise.

Here @StevethePlanner demonstrates the replacement of 6 cooled hard boiled eggs in their box, in the albergue at Casar de Caceres on the VDLP. Later to be consumed at the Embalsa Alcantara. Mmm, thanks Steve! Hope you're still going good.
IMG_2527.jpg

I am a proponent of salted almonds. And Figs. Many a dawn start has been powered by these little beauties.

PS can we not say 'hacks', it's just too InstaPilgrim. 'Tips' is much nicer.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'm thinking of bringing a small bottle of Tajín seasoning with me to improve the taste of some of the blander pilgrim's meals.

Last Monday, my breakfast was what I had at hand: a packet of olives, a tomato and some bread I dipped in olive oil. Definitely not the last time I'm doing that :)

Those small packets of olives are really quite handy

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Nicest and cheapest cafe breakfast - tostada con tomate. It's plain toast which comes with a small bowl of a paste made of peeled and bashed tomatoes, you spread it on the bread and drizzle with olive oil. Tastier and healthier than boring old mermelada.

Sounds like I should bring some of those deli sealed one use packs of mayo with me. But they do have jalapeno sauce in Spain don't they??? Please tell me yes!!!I can forego eating the peppers but a man has to have his jalapeno or habanero sauce. Once you have stunned the tastebuds anything tastes passable!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I was referring to meals on the run, so to speak. Restaurants usually have a their foods spiced enough for me, but eating my boiled eggs under a tree needs more than salt for enhancement. Now pickled eggs, that is different. Probably have to pack my own sardines, too!

Sounds like I should bring some of those deli sealed one use packs of mayo with me. But they do have jalapeno sauce in Spain don't they??? Please tell me yes!!!I can forego eating the peppers but a man has to have his jalapeno or habanero sauce. Once you have stunned the tastebuds anything tastes passable!
It's not Mexico, so those wouldn't be common in Spain.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
There are various spicy paprika type sauces in bottles. And the pickled pimentos are very nice. So fear not.

I always carry some powdered soup bags. Mushroom soup sprinkled over pasta (there is always half a bag of macaroni in the back of the cabinet in albergues with kitchen), drizzled with olive oil (ditto) and some small chunks of cheese, maybe with a sliced tomato or two or some frozen peas if there was a shop in the last village, makes a nice meal when there isn't a bar/restaurant around.

(My specialty is getting to the village on the one day in the week when the bar is closed - won't happen on the Francés, will definitely happen on the less popular caminos.)

Nicest and cheapest cafe breakfast - tostada con tomate. It's plain toast which comes with a small bowl of a paste made of peeled and bashed tomatoes, you spread it on the bread and drizzle with olive oil. Tastier and healthier than boring old mermelada.
now that sounds good myself unable to eat eggs..so the tostada con tomate sounds real healthy.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I thought about bringing a giant bottle of Daddies Sauce, a litre of Heinz Salad Cream, and a vat of Small Chunk Branston but realised it might cause offence.
What! No Marmite!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
There are various spicy paprika type sauces in bottles. And the pickled pimentos are very nice. So fear not.[/QUOte

I was just being a smarta** with my comments, so sorry bout that. Almost each society has some form of spicy condiment; whether it is Hatch chili and ghost pepper, or jalapeno and habanero, or wasabi or Polish horseradish, so I do not fear for not finding something hot enough for my tastes...but about that ghost chile...

I always had some cured meat and bread in my backpack. Usually some hard cheese as well, same as at home. But the two things I had on the Camino that I wouldn't necessarily have here were; 1) A small (plastic, not glass) bottle of olive oil, 2) A water bottle full of olives.

The water bottle of olives was something I thought of one day as I was walking out of a store with bag of bulk olives. I enjoy them so much more than the small packs of olives that one would buy. But one of my favorite parts about the Camino was interacting with the shop keepers, so this was perfect.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We bring packs of powdered HErb Ox Chicken bouillon soup. No msg, 5 calories and 1100mg of salt. We use them with a hot cup of water at a bar with no food, Have added part of a packet into bland spaghetti soup, and other foods which have recused the dish! They are lite weight and easy to store.

I'll be doing the Camino in two months, so these are not tips from having done the Camino yet, but I've traveled extensively and these will be things that we've done in the past and that we'll do on the Camino,. This one specific tip is a big one becuase it's so awesome. The best tip is to cook potatoes anytime you have access to a grocery store and a kitchen, then COOL THEM OVERNIGHT IN THE FRIDGE. The cooling is super important because it converts the starch into 'resistant starch' which is actually food for good bacteria in the gut.

You don't have to just do baked potatoes, although some salad dressing, mayo, cheese, or any type of dip you bring on the road works great. As does just eating them plain or with salt if you don't care. But we also bake 'chips', cook them with seasoning, cool them overnight, then pop them into a brown bag for the trip and eat them whenever. They'll last for a week or more if you keep them in a brown bag so that the moisture doesn't build up.

We did this intentionally in South America in hopes that we could keep our gut healthy. We ate street foods, even drank hot drinks off the streets in Bolivia, never worried about what we brushed our teeth with, and even drank the tap water everywhere except Bolivia, and our guts were unscathed the entire time. While we could have just been lucky, my partner's gut is 'delicate', but there was not a twinge of gut problems in an entire year of traveling. I believe the potato tip had a lot to do with it, and it's just a great tasty snack to have with you on the road, especially when you make them into baked 'chips'.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm an American and I like Branston pickle!
I used to work for a firm in Huntsville Alabama but based in the UK. On my trips to Head Office I used to take jars of Piccalilli and Branston for my colleagues who had become addicted while stationed in the UK. On my return journey I had Choululah hot sauce, Various steak and BBQ sauces for my American colleagues based in the UK.

Always carry a silicone bottle and two silicone wine glasses for one of your five a day. Free wine leftover from pilgrim meal or from the Wine tap in Ayegui. An impromptu picnic on the way makes bocadilo taste better with friends 🤠

Last edited:
I wonder if those recently lobbying to keep threads open indefinitely might now be reconsidering their position?

The concept of a ‘food hack’ is a new one for me. It would seem that inserting a boiled egg into a bread roll, adding mayonnaise and some seasoning and declaring the result to be an egg sandwich is somehow the peregrino version of splitting the atom.

(To the usual suspects - I really don’t need telling that I’m being intolerant.)

More significantly, the news that Cholula is available in the UK deserved a thread of its own. Carrying either Branson or Vegemite in your pack would be guaranteed to make life-long friends as well.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.