• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Interesting Read

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Strangely I don't remember it like this, was I asleep for 42 days?

10-Reasons-Why-El-Camino-Santiago-Sucks
That article was the very first thing I read related to the Camino the first time I did a google search in 2014 because it was at the top of the page! I didn't care for all the author's derogatory comments, but all of his ten reasons were a blessing to me because they were the very ten reasons why I thought I "could" be able to walk the Camino! :D...and I did, three times, with my fourth coming up in June.

One of my friends that was planning on doing the Camino sent this to me last year and was thinking of changing his mind and not going. All I could do is laugh, and feel sorry for the author, that poor person has probably never been happy about anything in their life. ;)

One of my friends that was planning on doing the Camino sent this to me last year and was thinking of changing his mind and not going. All I could do is laugh, and feel sorry for the author, that poor person has probably never been happy about anything in their life. ;)
I think the guy that wrote the article is a big wilderness backpacker, so for him I can see where it was probably a big let down. Me?...I love the Caminos and have no desire for a lonely, very difficult wilderness adventure with a tent! :p

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Read it quite awhile ago I can see why a through hiker who wants to go fast, beat the competition type of person would be unhappy on the Camino.

Large, full pack, tent, stove, stinky after day two vs. light load, showers, indoor plumbing, good meals, vino. All his negatives are my pluses.

Read it quite awhile ago I can see why a through hiker who wants to go fast, beat the competition type of person would be unhappy on the Camino.

Large, full pack, tent, stove, stinky after day two vs. light load, showers, indoor plumbing, good meals, vino. All his negatives are my pluses.
Exactly...you speak my language!:D

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Strangely I don't remember it like this, was I asleep for 42 days?

10-Reasons-Why-El-Camino-Santiago-Sucks
IIRC you don't need to carry water; the scenery is monotonous and you can get by with carrying just 1kg on your back.
It seems so different to my experience of humping an 8kg pack over the Pyrenees and "dying" of thirst . . .
But then he's a roughtie-toughie thru-hiker :rolleyes:

It's a great illustration of how different people are looking for different things... Having said that, from my perspective, many of the so called "negatives" about the Camino he discussed initially led me to feel that he'd missed the point. Having now also read the Tom Allen article, I quite like Mr Allen's take on things too.

Moral of the story for me - if your ideal experience is a solitary walk of 3000 completely wilderness-based miles without infrastructure, walk the Pacific Crest Trail, not the Camino. And if you do decide to walk the Camino, its worth doing enough research beforehand to discover that its really not going to meet your PCT-based expectations, rather than complaining about it afterwards. I can't imagine that the wilderness-hiking crowd would be impressed with Camino-junkies writing articles that were critical of the PCT for the lack of decent restaurant meals or quality red wine on the PCT - thats pretty much how I see most of the criticisms of the Camino in this article.

Still - good to hear what others with different perspectives think!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
A couple of years ago I walked the Via Francigena from Canterbury to Rome. Almost all the other walkers I met had already walked one of the Spanish caminos - most commonly the Frances. It became quite depressing how often I heard complaints that the VF was not as good as the Frances because it had less infrastructure, no baggage transport, more expensive accommodation and so on. Why judge any route against some hypothetical ideal and so concentrate on its "faults"? I would rather enjoy the contrast.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back