• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Interesting Read

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Strangely I don't remember it like this, was I asleep for 42 days?

10-Reasons-Why-El-Camino-Santiago-Sucks
That article was the very first thing I read related to the Camino the first time I did a google search in 2014 because it was at the top of the page! I didn't care for all the author's derogatory comments, but all of his ten reasons were a blessing to me because they were the very ten reasons why I thought I "could" be able to walk the Camino! :D...and I did, three times, with my fourth coming up in June.

One of my friends that was planning on doing the Camino sent this to me last year and was thinking of changing his mind and not going. All I could do is laugh, and feel sorry for the author, that poor person has probably never been happy about anything in their life. ;)

One of my friends that was planning on doing the Camino sent this to me last year and was thinking of changing his mind and not going. All I could do is laugh, and feel sorry for the author, that poor person has probably never been happy about anything in their life. ;)
I think the guy that wrote the article is a big wilderness backpacker, so for him I can see where it was probably a big let down. Me?...I love the Caminos and have no desire for a lonely, very difficult wilderness adventure with a tent! :p

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Read it quite awhile ago I can see why a through hiker who wants to go fast, beat the competition type of person would be unhappy on the Camino.

Large, full pack, tent, stove, stinky after day two vs. light load, showers, indoor plumbing, good meals, vino. All his negatives are my pluses.

Read it quite awhile ago I can see why a through hiker who wants to go fast, beat the competition type of person would be unhappy on the Camino.

Large, full pack, tent, stove, stinky after day two vs. light load, showers, indoor plumbing, good meals, vino. All his negatives are my pluses.
Exactly...you speak my language!:D

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Strangely I don't remember it like this, was I asleep for 42 days?

10-Reasons-Why-El-Camino-Santiago-Sucks
IIRC you don't need to carry water; the scenery is monotonous and you can get by with carrying just 1kg on your back.
It seems so different to my experience of humping an 8kg pack over the Pyrenees and "dying" of thirst . . .
But then he's a roughtie-toughie thru-hiker :rolleyes:

It's a great illustration of how different people are looking for different things... Having said that, from my perspective, many of the so called "negatives" about the Camino he discussed initially led me to feel that he'd missed the point. Having now also read the Tom Allen article, I quite like Mr Allen's take on things too.

Moral of the story for me - if your ideal experience is a solitary walk of 3000 completely wilderness-based miles without infrastructure, walk the Pacific Crest Trail, not the Camino. And if you do decide to walk the Camino, its worth doing enough research beforehand to discover that its really not going to meet your PCT-based expectations, rather than complaining about it afterwards. I can't imagine that the wilderness-hiking crowd would be impressed with Camino-junkies writing articles that were critical of the PCT for the lack of decent restaurant meals or quality red wine on the PCT - thats pretty much how I see most of the criticisms of the Camino in this article.

Still - good to hear what others with different perspectives think!

A couple of years ago I walked the Via Francigena from Canterbury to Rome. Almost all the other walkers I met had already walked one of the Spanish caminos - most commonly the Frances. It became quite depressing how often I heard complaints that the VF was not as good as the Frances because it had less infrastructure, no baggage transport, more expensive accommodation and so on. Why judge any route against some hypothetical ideal and so concentrate on its "faults"? I would rather enjoy the contrast.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back