• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Interior vs Coastal route?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
We went coastal , loved it .
However we continued to Tui whilst the young Germans got the boat to Spain @ Caminha , a village we loved.
They were adamant the way to Vigo was via coastal path and from what we have later learnt they were correct.

Hey
Is the Coastal camino kinda of touristic busy?
I dont mean because of the peregrinos but because is near the coast and has many holiday makers?

thanks

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hey
Is the Coastal camino kinda of touristic busy?
I dont mean because of the peregrinos but because is near the coast and has many holiday makers?

thanks
Yes , you all along the beach front and that's where the tourist's are , but not every single km.
Compared with certain towns on The Norte this is not touristy.
We love outdoor fish dinners , short days to take in the towns and beaches because once you get past Caminha you don't see much water and the crowds also build up at the border.
If you go coastal from Caminha ( The ferry to Spain) you won't see too many people at all.

I thought that the central route was good (i.e. Porto-Barcelos-Tui- Redondela - SdC), but I thought the coastal route was wonderful. I did the coastal route last July. There were not too many other peregrinos until the two routes merged at Redondela. I would not say that the coastal route was touristy, although it was built up in certain areas, especially at the southern end. It seemed to get a bit wilder and more natural the further north you go.

The difference with the coastal route is that there are a lot of different variants you can take. Some are marked and others not. For example, the Caminha da Costa is fully marked with yellow arrows from Porto to SdC, but it weaves inland for long stretches, so you are not always right on the coast. As I was walking last summer, I learned that there were stretches that were not marked, but ran right along the coastline. For example, when I crossed the river from Caminha into Spain, a few locals told me to follow the river out to the ocean and then follow the ocean north into A Guarda. It was a beautiful day, there was a good trail, and it was one of my favourite sections of the entire walk. If I had followed the yellow arrows, the route would have gone inland over a hill (which may have been nice as well).

Another example was on the way into Baiona. The route was following a coastal road, but there was a wide pedestrian/bicycle lane so that it was not dangerous. The road ran right along the coastline. If I had followed the yellow arrows, they would have taken me inland at one point, up over a few hills (which I heard later from two peregrinas was quite tiring). I stayed on the road, right beside the ocean, and stopped for lunch at a hotel up on the hill overlooking the ocean. It was marvelous. I then just followed the road into Baiona.

So I guess what I am saying is that I have a slight preference for the coastal route (up through Vigo), but the route and options are a little less certain.

From my personal experience, the central route was somewhat busier (although not too busy). However, I remember someone posting here not that long ago that there were reasonable numbers on the coastal route. I saw maybe 4-6 people per day on the coastal route last year, until the numbers increased significantly at Redondela.

Either way, you would enjoy it.

Thanks both of you for the info! :)
I had the Norte in mind when i asked the question . It was busy both by pilgrims and tourists along the way ..

What about the albergues along the coastal way, did you use them? they was full or empty ?

thnx

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I used hotels along the way - some big and some small. But as I mentioned above, I did not come across many other peregrinos at all until the routes converged at Redondela. It was significantly busier from Redondela to SdC.

I thought that the central route was good (i.e. Porto-Barcelos-Tui- Redondela - SdC), but I thought the coastal route was wonderful. I did the coastal route last July. There were not too many other peregrinos until the two routes merged at Redondela. I would not say that the coastal route was touristy, although it was built up in certain areas, especially at the southern end. It seemed to get a bit wilder and more natural the further north you go.

The difference with the coastal route is that there are a lot of different variants you can take. Some are marked and others not. For example, the Caminha da Costa is fully marked with yellow arrows from Porto to SdC, but it weaves inland for long stretches, so you are not always right on the coast. As I was walking last summer, I learned that there were stretches that were not marked, but ran right along the coastline. For example, when I crossed the river from Caminha into Spain, a few locals told me to follow the river out to the ocean and then follow the ocean north into A Guarda. It was a beautiful day, there was a good trail, and it was one of my favourite sections of the entire walk. If I had followed the yellow arrows, the route would have gone inland over a hill (which may have been nice as well).

Another example was on the way into Baiona. The route was following a coastal road, but there was a wide pedestrian/bicycle lane so that it was not dangerous. The road ran right along the coastline. If I had followed the yellow arrows, they would have taken me inland at one point, up over a few hills (which I heard later from two peregrinas was quite tiring). I stayed on the road, right beside the ocean, and stopped for lunch at a hotel up on the hill overlooking the ocean. It was marvelous. I then just followed the road into Baiona.

So I guess what I am saying is that I have a slight preference for the coastal route (up through Vigo), but the route and options are a little less certain.

From my personal experience, the central route was somewhat busier (although not too busy). However, I remember someone posting here not that long ago that there were reasonable numbers on the coastal route. I saw maybe 4-6 people per day on the coastal route last year, until the numbers increased significantly at Redondela.

Either way, you would enjoy it.

Hi Doogman,

I'm from Toronto. Roncesvalles actually which is a funny little coincidence for all things Camino. I'd love to buy you a beer/coffee and talk Camino with you if you could spare the time. I'm seriously considering doing one of the routes this year. Thanks in advance.

Mike

Hi Doogman,

I'm from Toronto. Roncesvalles actually which is a funny little coincidence for all things Camino. I'd love to buy you a beer/coffee and talk Camino with you if you could spare the time. I'm seriously considering doing one of the routes this year. Thanks in advance.

Mike

Do you know the history of Roncesvalles, Ontario? It is named after the battle of Roncesvalles, near the Spanish monastery of Roncesvalles, in 1813. Read more here of this event in the Peninsular war and check out the published map of that battle between French and British forces.

Colonel Walter O'Hara, who fought with the British in the battle, would after emigrating to Upper Canada mid-century name Roncesvalles Avenue in Toronto after the battle. Your present neighborhood of Roncesvalles in turn gained its name from the street.

By the way Happy 150 to you and all Canadians; have a splendid celebratory weekend!!

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I know this is very confusing, but the "interior" route is one that starts in Viseu and links up with the Sanabres in Verin. It has its own subforum as does the coastal alternative. I think you meant to ask about a comparison between the coastal route and what the Portuguese call the "central" route, which is the typical Caminho Portugués.

Hi Doogman,

Mike

Hi Mike: Sorry for not responding sooner. I was out of town for a few days and I was not checking the Forum. I will try to figure out how to send a Personal Message to you and we can make some arrangements to get together. I am happy to tell you whatever I can.

Most read last week in this forum

Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...
Arriving in Valença around noon and I need to get to my hostel in Tui. I would like to conserve my energy and time, so can I take a taxi from Valença Bus station to take me to my hostel in Tui...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back