• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

International mail costs

PixieAuror

Time of past OR future Camino
22 April 2018 if all goes well
Hi guys, I was wondering how much it would cost per 100g if I were to mail something to myself from the Camino to my home in Dubai?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
A LOT!
I sent something from Pamplona just up the road to Bayonne and it cost me and arm and a leg because it was "outside Spain".

A LOT!
I sent something from Pamplona just up the road to Bayonne and it cost me and arm and a leg because it was "outside Spain".
Dude, how heavy was the thing you sent and how much did it cost you? What do you consider "an arm and a leg"?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
According to Correos https://www.correos.es/ss/Satellite/site/pagina-internacional_paqueteria/sidioma=en_GB 15x15x10cm parcel weighing 1kg will cost €24 mailed from Ourense (Province) to Dubai using Paquete Internacional Económico. Then all you have to deal with is Customs.

The Correos in the Pilgrims Office are extremely helpful. Customs usually aren't.
Thank you so much Tincatinker! I only found the Spanish pages when I googled correos, this is very helpful.

In my experience, I find it less expensive to go to a China Store / Oriental Bazaar shop and buy a cheap duffel bag or suitcase, and pay for the extra piece of luggage on the flight home. The amount you pay for the baggage is likely far less than postage. Plus, pilferage is minimized.

You will find these China Store / Oriental Bazaar shop in most every large town and city. Santiago has several of them. Just ask around for the 'Bazaar de Chine.' Alternatively, you can try to use Google Maps or you rnative smartphone maps app to search for:

'santiago de compostela bazaar de chine' or 'china bazaar'

Hope this helps.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
In my experience, I find it less expensive to go to a China Store / Oriental Bazaar shop and buy a cheap duffel bag or suitcase, and pay for the extra piece of luggage on the flight home. The amount you pay for the baggage is likely far less than postage. Plus, pilferage is minimized.

You will find these China Store / Oriental Bazaar shop in most every large town and city. Santiago has several of them. Just ask around for the 'Bazaar de Chine.' Alternatively, you can try to use Google Maps or you rnative smartphone maps app to search for:

'santiago de compostela bazaar de chine' or 'china bazaar'

Hope this helps.

brilliant thanks

Here is some more useful (I hope) information.

Everytime I go to Santiago I end up buying stuff for myself and friends. Typically, I have mailed a box through the Spanish Correos (very efficient) to be at Santiago when I arrive. See the Forum store (click on "forum Store" link at top right of this page). Ivar received parcels sent from anywhere and holds them for a fee. The main post office in Santiago on Rua Franco received parcels ,mailed through the postal system and holds them for free for 15 days, after that, there is a nominal daily charge.

I usually send a resupply of my nutritional supplements, medications, and some clean "touristy" clothes, along with any souvenirs I bought at SJPdP. BTW, a local industry is making real Basque espadrilles. They are always popular. Prices are VERY reasonable, they are made by local folks, locally, and are available in several shops in town. this is another reason why I always advise people to stay two nights before starting out. SJPdP is a marvelous and scenic town. You should enjoy it.

If you will walk from Saint Jean Pied de Port to Santiago, seriously consider sending a piece of your own luggage ahead using Express Bourricot. This service is not cheap, costs €70 to send one item. But, if walking with a friend, you can share one piece of luggage and perhaps place a folded soft duffel bag inside. I use it every time I start at Saint Jean Pied de Port (aka SJPdP).

Each week, Express Bourricot drives its van direct to Hostal / Hotel La Salle in Santiago (a two-day drive). There, your bag is placed into a locked storage room until you get there. The Hostal offers a discount to folks who use this service. Once you send the bag via Express Bourricot, make a reservation using your smartphone. This place is very conveniently located at Santiago.

Here is the web page for Express Bourricot: http://www.expressbourricot.com/

And for the Albergue / Hostal La Salle: http://www.hostallasalle.com/

Hope this helps.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Here is some more useful (I hope) information.

Everytime I go to Santiago I end up buying stuff for myself and friends. Typically, I have mailed a box through the Spanish Correos (very efficient) to be at Santiago when I arrive. See the Forum store (click on "forum Store" link at top right of this page). Ivar received parcels sent from anywhere and holds them for a fee. The main post office in Santiago on Rua Franco received parcels ,mailed through the postal system and holds them for free for 15 days, after that, there is a nominal daily charge.

I usually send a resupply of my nutritional supplements, medications, and some clean "touristy" clothes, along with any souvenirs I bought at SJPdP. BTW, a local industry is making real Basque espadrilles. They are always popular. Prices are VERY reasonable, they are made by local folks, locally, and are available in several shops in town. this is another reason why I always advise people to stay two nights before starting out. SJPdP is a marvelous and scenic town. You should enjoy it.

If you will walk from Saint Jean Pied de Port to Santiago, seriously consider sending a piece of your own luggage ahead using Express Bourricot. This service is not cheap, costs €70 to send one item. But, if walking with a friend, you can share one piece of luggage and perhaps place a folded soft duffel bag inside. I use it every time I start at Saint Jean Pied de Port (aka SJPdP).

Each week, Express Bourricot drives its van direct to Hostal / Hotel La Salle in Santiago (a two-day drive). There, your bag is placed into a locked storage room until you get there. The Hostal offers a discount to folks who use this service. Once you send the bag via Express Bourricot, make a reservation using your smartphone. This place is very conveniently located at Santiago.

Here is the web page for Express Bourricot: http://www.expressbourricot.com/

And for the Albergue / Hostal La Salle: http://www.hostallasalle.com/

Hope this helps.
great stuff really, thanks for letting me know - I let out a squeaky sound everytime I realize how close my first camino is this'll help

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.