• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

International SIM Cards?

mhrheinecker

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2013)
Chemin de St Jacques (2014)
Cammino di Francesco (2016)
We live in the USA and are interested in a SIM card that would cover Ireland, Portugal and Spain for about 3 months. I have an unlocked GSM cellphone (call and texts only). Does anyone have experience with any of the international SIM cards such as WorldSIM, OneSIM, or Telestial? Recommendations, please.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I have used TravelSIM for many years. The plan I signed up for is great for being able to be contacted as it involves no roaming charges which can otherwise mount up quickly on my Australian phone. But it isn't all that great for outgoing calls and very expensive for data compared to buying a local SIM on arrival.

The last couple of trips I have used a belt and braces approach, with the TravelSIM for any voice calls and a local SIM just for data. I can use that for VOIP calls using Whatsapp or the Facebook Messanger apps as well. This year the SIM provider (Telia, in Norway) offered 'free' local calls which I didn't need to use while I was in Norway, and weren't available once I had left.

Remember that, in Europe, the roaming rules changed this year, and if you are only travelling in Europe then getting a local PAYG SIM on arrival now looks even more attractive compared to my TravelSIM.

We've used onesimcard in several countries with zero problems. A little more expensive but you can top on their website and see your usage in real time. Super easy to use. Their Europe and more SIM is what you would need to cover anywhere in in Europe.

I have also used onesim. It worked well for me Norway and South Africa. I think it is more expensive that buying a local sim card but the convenience of having it ready immediately upon entering the country has some value. Keeping the same SIM thru onesim gets to be expensive if you don't travel frequently as they require a certain amount of usage or your SIM either goes defunct or you have a charge added to your account. I plan to use it in Sept during my Camino from Le Puy to SJPdP and then possibly let it go. I have used the Orange card in Spain before I purchased the onesim and it worked great for me both in Spain and subsequently in Israel. It was easy to top up in tobacco shops.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm not sure if this addresses your question but I'm doing my first Camino this September. I have an unlocked iPhone and I'm planning to get a local SIM plan (Vodafone). After the Camino I'll be traveling to London & Paris -- as far as I can tell the local SIM plan in Spain should cover me throughout the rest of the trip. I also plan to be relying heavily on WhatsApp, Facebook, etc for communication as those won't be impacted by the new SIM card.

I'm not sure if this addresses your question but I'm doing my first Camino this September. I have an unlocked iPhone and I'm planning to get a local SIM plan (Vodafone). After the Camino I'll be traveling to London & Paris -- as far as I can tell the local SIM plan in Spain should cover me throughout the rest of the trip. I also plan to be relying heavily on WhatsApp, Facebook, etc for communication as those won't be impacted by the new SIM card.

I am wondering about the Wifi availability along the Le Puy route. Do most of the gites have Wi-Fi available?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
This wasn't in Galicia but on recent trips in Andalucia all hotels and many bars (I imagine also coffeeshops) had WiFi

Thank you. Since posting this, I have learned that starting this past June, EU countries are not allowed to charge roaming fees for SIM cards purchased in other EU countries. So like you, I will purchase one in Ireland, and it should cover me in Portugal and Spain.

As indicated above the law changed this year. I bought in May Orange SIM in Spain, that I used only for data, cost 20 Euro per month, and it was good in ALL EU countries. I traveled to Italy, Czech Rep., Poland, Hungary, Croatia and worked well. If you are not fluent in Spanish, I recommend to paying three months up front. They keep sending you text messages, and I did not understand all. If you try to renew every month, you might have problems with making choices if you are not fluent. It is not as easy as “do you want to extend service another month?”. There are so many different options, and I eventually gave up. I was in France and could not get help on Spanish Sim. I lived without phone (except WiFi) for a week as a result.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.