• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Internet Availablity on the Camino Frances?

Donna W

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi, Everyone.

My husband and I are planning to do the Camino Frances from SJPP to Santiago (continuing on to Finistere and Muxia) beginning in August, 2015. I am retiring from my full-time position but do adjunct teaching online for a few universities. Because of the timing of classes, I'll likely need to continue my classes (albeit at a reduced number) while walking the Camino. I'm interested to know about the reliability of internet connectivity, inasmuch as I'll likely need to tap into class a few times a week while walking.

Can anyone provide some information regarding accessibility and reliability of the internet along the Camino Frances?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Donna - I used free wifi everyday whilst walking. Most Albergues have free wifi and many many bars and restaurants too. One day I had to make a video call at Los Arcos and had excellent free wifi in a municipal internet cafe on the edge of town.

I'm confident you'll be fine

Have a great walk! :D

While you do have Wi-Fi access in lot of albergues and there are plans to expand it.. I wouldn't count on it.
I needed stable Internet access myself during my Camino and I got a prepaid SIM card with a data plan. Signal was good most of the route, I could make Skype calls normaly.
There are several data plans available, just find a mobile store in Pamplona... There are several near the bus station.
Buen Camino!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I never had a problem finding free wireless internet connectivity on either Camino Frances walked. It's everywhere. Albergues, hotels, pension houses, bars cafes, etc.

Internet access is generally very good, sometimes surprisingly good and occasionally a disaster!

The disaster is usually when you need it most!

But, hey! That's life on the Camino...

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Internet access is generally very good, sometimes surprisingly good and occasionally a disaster!

The disaster is usually when you need it most!

But, hey! That's life on the Camino...

Yup. That's been my experience in varied situations. Things work great until you REALLY need them! Murphy's Law...or something like that, right?

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
While you do have Wi-Fi access in lot of albergues and there are plans to expand it.. I wouldn't count on it.
I needed stable Internet access myself during my Camino and I got a prepaid SIM card with a data plan. Signal was good most of the route, I could make Skype calls normaly.
There are several data plans available, just find a mobile store in Pamplona... There are several near the bus station.
Buen Camino!

I will need to pick up a local SIM in Spain. I notice on my schedule that I am likely to hit Pamplona on a Sunday. Do you think the mobile phone stores will be open?

St. Jean, the albergue I stayed in did not have wi-fi. The next place I found it was in Roncenvalles; however, it worked only in the lounge on the first floor.

I think it would be accurate to say that at best, wi-fi is "somewhat reliable."

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I will need to pick up a local SIM in Spain. I notice on my schedule that I am likely to hit Pamplona on a Sunday. Do you think the mobile phone stores will be open?

Contact the stores to see if they will be open. Lebara has their site in English and is easy to understand.
http://www.lebara.es/storefinder

Do you have to login at exact times, like in giving real time lectures, or is it more a thing of checking things from time to time with a margin of flexibility? If you have to be online at specific times then not only Murphy's law could make problems but also the time difference between Spain and the US. Buen Camino, SY

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Do you have to login at exact times, like in giving real time lectures, or is it more a thing of checking things from time to time with a margin of flexibility? If you have to be online at specific times then not only Murphy's law could make problems but also the time difference between Spain and the US. Buen Camino, SY

Hi SY,

No not specific times. I just promised to call or email my wife each day, so she knows I'm still alive :)

Birriatzdon said it first, public libraries can be a port in the storm! Open afternoon and evenings and Saturday mornings usually faster than WeeFee n ot WiFi.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

I don't think that they'll be open on Sunday. But here is a small shop where I got the SIM card in Pamplona. https://www.facebook.com/freemovilpamplona
I suggest you try contacting them directly to arrange a meeting at specific time on Sunday when you arrive. Its a small business so they might be more flexible.
Alternatively get it in next larger town.
Buen Camino!

I read on this forum that the Spanish Govt is providing free wifi all along the Camino. Can anyone confirm that this is indeed the case.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

No, I don't have to log on at specific times. I just need to check the classes briefly each day but it doesn't matter what time. So hopefully I won't get to much Murphy's law coming into play. :) <----I'm an optimist!

You should be fine than, wifi is extremely widely available on the CF. Buen Camino! SY

there is so much internet on the camino now you don't even have to come to Spain to walk the camino! You can do it "virtually," in a dozen different ways... Or you can physically walk pretty much the entire thing and never have to leave your private virtual world.
What a miracle, eh?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
there is so much internet on the camino now you don't even have to come to Spain to walk the camino! You can do it "virtually," in a dozen different ways... Or you can physically walk pretty much the entire thing and never have to leave your private virtual world.
What a miracle, eh?

Love it but perhaps, for some, you should have added the internet shorthand - "/s" !

Back