• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Internet Cafes?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Used to be common, but not any more.

Some hotels have computers for residents. Some libraries.

The keyboards are Spanish, but this isn't a huge problem.

Very many hostales, restos have wifi.

I used public phones on my first Camino. No problems. But now ...

I bit the bullet and bought a smartphone. Perhaps I'll be able to use it properly one day.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Aloha From Kauai,

Perhaps you should buy and learn to use a smartphone.

Everything I photograph, write, read or post is via a Samsung Galaxy phone

During my first caminos my husband and I communicated when necessary by land-line telephone; since 2008 I carried a smartphone which also served as camera+computer on which I wrote my daily blogs.

Since we both were then in our 70's whilst apart we texted each other good morning, briefly cited our daily plans, and texted again at day's end. Simple, swift and efficacious this helped keep each of us in the other's loop although physically we were often on different continents.

While walking a phone and European assistance number 112 can provide invaluable emergency help. Luckily I have never personally needed such assistance, but over the years I have called 112 for other pilgrims who needed fast help and either had no phone or were unable to use a phone.

...In retrospect I would never walk without a phone. Carrying one may help save someone else's life. Furthermore I would never carry a computer or iPad; I like to travel light.

Although I am no longer hiking at 82 I still use a smartphone as my computer. All my posts are written on the phone.

Whenever/wherever/however you go
Carpe diem and Buen camino

Last edited:
Kudos @mspath.
Unfortunately, there are still people who are capricious about being "no-tech". Hey, it's 2022!
And by the way: There are foldable keyboards that you can use with your smartphone if you want to write longer texts. And the pandemic has meant that you can now (finally) pay even small amounts on the Camino cashless with your phone.

Buen Camino, Pepi (78)

Internet Cafes are a thing of the past when very few people had mobile phones - just like video stores before streaming services became available from your own home! If you are intent on maintaining contact with your loved ones/friends, etc. your best bet is to get a smartphone and simply connect to free WiFi - which is readily available in many public places, like restaurants, bars and albergues or other accommodations, and you don't have to pay for any international phone program:)

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi,

As far back as 2014, I noticed that Internet cafes were an endangered species. However, when approaching Santiago, some printers were in sight (probably for those who needed a printed plane boarding card). Must be something of the past right now, others will confirm.

As I was not willing to get a smartphone and pay a phone subscription, I bought a simple model of android tablet in Leon, to be able to book my return flight, and later to show an "electronic" boarding pass. Among other uses such as Skype sessions with our kids, slightly anxious about their parents' ability to make it to Santiago, GPS localization etc.

Wifi access is available everywhere.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Is there such a thing in Spain (or anywhere) as internet cafes with computers anymore? And...are any likely to have English keyboards do you think?

Hi,

As far back as 2014, I noticed that Internet cafes were an endangered species. However, when approaching Santiago, some printers were in sight (probably for those who needed a printed plane boarding card). Must be something of the past right now, others will confirm.

As I was not willing to get a smartphone and pay a phone subscription, I bought a simple model of android tablet in Leon, to be able to book my return flight, and later to show an "electronic" boarding pass. Among other uses such as Skype sessions with our kids, slightly anxious about their parents' ability to make it to Santiago, GPS localization etc.

Wifi access is available everywhere.
The Internet cafes are gone. Can't remember last time I saw one. At the age of 68, I use my iPhone for all that, incl. bookings of hostels, planes, news, etc..

There used to be many but now its WIFI everywhere . In some hotels I have seen computers for client's use.
Good idea to watch for; I still need to connect periodically for check-in at work, and possibly need to draft a document, but really, really do not want to bring my computer or stay that connected :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Used to be common, but not any more.

Some hotels have computers for residents. Some libraries.

The keyboards are Spanish, but this isn't a huge problem.

Very many hostales, restos have wifi.

I used public phones on my first Camino. No problems. But now ...

I bit the bullet and bought a smartphone. Perhaps I'll be able to use it properly one day.
Smart phones don't always live up to their name :)

Aloha From Kauai,

Perhaps you should buy and learn to use a smartphone.

Everything I photograph, write, read or post is via a Samsung Galaxy phone

During my first caminos my husband and I communicated when necessary by land-line telephone; since 2008 I carried a smartphone which also served as camera+computer on which I wrote my daily blogs.

Since we both were then in our 70's whilst apart we texted each other good morning, briefly cited our daily plans, and texted again at day's end. Simple, swift and efficacious this helped keep each of us in the other's loop although physically we were often on different continents.W

While walking a phone and European assistance number 112 can provide invaluable emergency help. Luckily I have never personally needed such assistance, but over the years I have called 112 for other pilgrims who needed fast help and either had no phone or were unable to use a phone.

...In retrospect I would never walk without a phone. Carrying one may help save someone else's life. Furthermore I would never carry a computer or iPad; I like to travel light.

Although I am no longer hiking at 82 I still use a smartphone as my computer. All my posts are written on the phone.

Whenever/wherever/however you go
Carpe diem and Buen camino
Well said.
I do have a smartphone and am sadly connected to it all of the time. I am hoping to largely ignore it except for music and photos; however, there may be an occasion where I actually have to take a half-day and draft a document for work. For that, I will need a larger platform and am trying to have an alternative to bringing a larger device with me, partly for weight, but partly also I don't want to be drawn into work unless critical. I am facilitating a 15-million dollar resilience hub for our remote community and working on obtaining federal government funds; for this, occasionally I will have to break my fast of no work. If I bring something with me, I'll end up going down the rabbit hole and working while away.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Kudos @mspath.
Unfortunately, there are still people who are capricious about being "no-tech". Hey, it's 2022!
And by the way: There are foldable keyboards that you can use with your smartphone if you want to write longer texts. And the pandemic has meant that you can now (finally) pay even small amounts on the Camino cashless with your phone.

Buen Camino, Pepi (78)
Yes, I can do all of that and have a smartphone, foldable keyboard, noise-canceling earbuds, and a gazillion other tech items and all of their cords, but, I may need to draft a full document or two while I am gone and need a bigger format, without selling my soul and dragging a bunch of stuff along with me that will fully ruin my trip. I see two days, maybe three that I will have to side-bar with work, but I want that to be the sum total.

It is over for internet cafes. There used to be one in almost every town and lots of the albergues had them. Now not so much. I really can't remember the last time I saw one in an albergue.
Yes, I figured; I haven't been in one in over twenty years. :D

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi there. I was trying to recall the name for an internet cafe in Spanish, (locutorio, in Pamplona at any rate) and asked duckduckgo for help. I was taken to the page in the attached screenshot. There are contact details that you could check to see if the information is current, before leaving home,
F9FFDD1B-76D9-42F8-9815-64AC9EF39B12.jpeg

I also used the search engine beginning with G, and here is a sample of what appeared:
148F5BEE-6C89-4639-A9CB-6CBA78FC8935.jpeg

Yes, I can do all of that and have a smartphone, foldable keyboard, noise-canceling earbuds, and a gazillion other tech items and all of their cords, but, I may need to draft a full document or two while I am gone and need a bigger format, without selling my soul and dragging a bunch of stuff along with me that will fully ruin my trip. I see two days, maybe three that I will have to side-bar with work, but I want that to be the sum total.
I have had to do this a couple of times and yes, the Spanish key boards are really hard for me to use! A total pain and I think it would be easier to use a foldable keyboard and iPad or something similar.

Edited to add: actually, these days I'd probably dictate it and only have to correct the weird stuff.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have had to do this a couple of times and yes, the Spanish key boards are really hard for me to use! A total pain and I think it would be easier to use a foldable keyboard and iPad or something similar.

Edited to add: actually, these days I'd probably dictate it and only have to correct the weird stuff.
This has become my feeling as well.
Have a lovely day!

Is there such a thing in Spain (or anywhere) as internet cafes with computers anymore? And...are any likely to have English keyboards do you think?
Internet cafès went out with flip phones. Any public computer (except maybe a library) is likely ancient, slow, and probably full of viruses. Bring a phone and buy a local SIM card and data.

Internet cafès went out with flip phones. Any public computer (except maybe a library) is likely ancient, slow, and probably full of viruses. Bring a phone and buy a local SIM card and data.
Unfortunately a phone will not be adequate for drafting documents I may need to do a couple of times for my work.

If you are doing the full camino, my suggestion would be to take a full setup with you and then bag transfer that to the next major city- Pamplona, Leon, Burgos, etc and have the bag held by the bell staff at a major hotel. No need to announce what's in the bag. Time it where you arrive (or match up to your bag) on whatever day matches Wednesday business hours at home and make that a rest/work day. An email someone sent on Monday can be answered on Wednesday, and if someone responds to you on Friday, you have the weekend if you need to taxi ahead to your work bag and handle something and then taxi back until the next Wednesday. Walk at your pace, and on Tuesday nights, use transport to go to your work bag and then go back to walking after. You could even throw in some other clothes and use the laundry service at the hotel while there :)

Internet Cafés have mostly disappeared, as others have noted, but most larger cities have Video Game centres. I am not sure what the Spanish name for these are. I did a quick search but found nothing under Video Game Centre.

While these places let you hire their computers by the hour I am not sure how "work friendly" this environment is. Probably a bit dingy with lots of testosterone in the air. But maybe that is just the Kiwi ones, perhaps Spanish centres are more appealing?

In 2018 we did take a small tablet with keyboard we already owned and carried it in a silnylon dry bag in the compartment meant for water bladders right next to my back. It was a winter trip so our packs were already heavier and I did not notice the extra weight. Phil used it while going to language school for a month in Santiago and then carried it as a pilgrim walking to our albergue where we were volunteering. I carried it after our assignment and for the rest of the way home. It was small and had a small 10 inch screen, but is probably not fast enough any more for current standards.

Last fall he went to a public library to complete and print documents needed for a volunteer assignment that came up enroute to Santiago. If I were going to have to do occasional work, I would probably go the library route now. If I was going to have to do more than just an occasional work assignment, I probably would not go as a pilgrim, but instead get a volunteer assignment at an albergue that had decent wifi and hope I had time for both hospitalero duties and work.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Unfortunately a phone will not be adequate for drafting documents I may need to do a couple of times for my work.
Hi! I am heading on the Camino in a few days and have a similar issue. I need to finish some documents for a school project but don’t want to bring my computer. Did you end up bringing yours or were you able to find computers to use?

Most read last week in this forum

I have been incredibly inspired by so many stories of loss, pain, diagnosis, or other stories that tug at my heart strings, but one pilgrim, since lost in the threads here, was an 83 year old man...
I started my training walks last fall in preparation for the camino frances this year. This included walking in the mall in bad winter weather (ugh!). My husband was undecided about joining me...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.