• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Internet for Maps

Marique van Dyk

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan to walk (September 2019)
I'm walking the Camino in October and would like to get a small pocket wifi router with a Spanish simcard for data to use maps and the internet. Does anyone know where in Pamplona I get can a router and what the costs are?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi, Marique, and a Warm Welcome to the Forum :)

I do not want to presume anything, so can you fill us in as to your decision to go with (I presume) a portable pocket router for maps - Versus - using a smartphone with an map app like Google maps, and then downloading offline maps of the locations you are traveling in?

Hi Marique: Echoing Dave, above, you don’t need what you apparently think you need — a router. If you have a smartphone, and you get a Spanish sim card, any general mapping app, such as google maps or maps.me, will show you your location. In fact, you don’t even need a sim card, because, as Dave suggests, both google maps and maps.me will let you download the maps you need (at a time when you have an internet connection) and then you can tell your location without a sim card or internet connection via the smartphone’s separate gps function. It’s real easy. Anyone even slightly internet savvy can show you how to do it.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
"Mapas de España" of the IGN is free, with oficial maps, and works as GPS
I'm going to download this to see if it may be useful in addition to some other apps I have. At any rate here is Google's translation of the Play Store description.

Free viewer ideal for hiking, cycling, running or skiing, which uses as a background mapping the services of the National Geographic Institute and another set of services of other Ministries (Service Stations provided by the Ministry of Industry, the Cadastral information of the plots provided by the General Directorate of Cadastre, etc).

With this application you can explore the routes of the National Parks or the stages of the Camino de Santiago or use your TRACKS / ROUTES, plan excursions using maps, navigation and guided tours, without having to have internet connection
All the maps and routes that are used are free and allows you to:
- GPS location, even without mobile coverage
- Offline map mode *: save them in advance
- Trace routes (Tracks) with GPS on the maps of the National Geographic Institute.
- Save and view the tracks in gpx or kml and kmz format.
- Supports IGN WMS and WMTS map services, you can use the application as a WMS viewer
- Use the services of the CartoCiudad project to locate the places
- Positioning visualization by coordinates, heading, speed, altitude. Distance Calculation
- The application is in Spanish and English….
- Based on the OruxMaps software (version 6.5)

for a SIM card, you can buy that before you go - Amazon, or elsewhere. i think i've seen somewhere in the Camino Forum where the best coverage may be thru Orange or Vodafone.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Routers needs to be returned. Logistically a problem unless rented at airports and such.Sim card will do.

GPS location, even without mobile coverage
Based on the OruxMaps software (version 6.5)
if you use this APP (the only one I use today), I recommend going to Configuration/sensors/GPS/minimum time which permits to define the time between GPS activation. This reduce significantly battery consumption. As we go slowly, the position does not need to be checked constantly.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
"Mapas de España" of the IGN is free, with oficial maps, and works as GPS
I did download this and looked at it. In the simplest of cases I don't see where it is a problem to use but it does look like it can do complicated things; the PDF basic instruction manual ran to 93 pages in Spanish.

I was using Wikiloc the other day following some trails in Spain and I was able to use the Spanish government maps as the background map. If you (or anyone) knows why the Mapas app should be used instead of Wikiloc please let me know. With Mapas 93 pages of documentation there must be something fancy there.

I use Maps.me with my 'phone in Airplane mode and have only ever gotten lost when I wanted to. Free to download and very detailed, even shows footpaths. Only uses GPS when activated ie when you are looking at a lit screen, not when its in your pocket having a kip ;)

I'm going to download this to see if it may be useful in addition to some other apps I have. At any rate here is Google's translation of the Play Store description.

Free viewer ideal for hiking, cycling, running or skiing, which uses as a background mapping the services of the National Geographic Institute and another set of services of other Ministries (Service Stations provided by the Ministry of Industry, the Cadastral information of the plots provided by the General Directorate of Cadastre, etc).

With this application you can explore the routes of the National Parks or the stages of the Camino de Santiago or use your TRACKS / ROUTES, plan excursions using maps, navigation and guided tours, without having to have internet connection
All the maps and routes that are used are free and allows you to:
- GPS location, even without mobile coverage
- Offline map mode *: save them in advance
- Trace routes (Tracks) with GPS on the maps of the National Geographic Institute.
- Save and view the tracks in gpx or kml and kmz format.
- Supports IGN WMS and WMTS map services, you can use the application as a WMS viewer
- Use the services of the CartoCiudad project to locate the places
- Positioning visualization by coordinates, heading, speed, altitude. Distance Calculation
- The application is in Spanish and English….
- Based on the OruxMaps software (version 6.5)
You missed out "stunningly beautiful cartography".

A selection of Camino Jewellery
@Marique van Dyk I use maps.me. It requires you to download the map when you have access to the internet. Once downloaded you can use offline from the internet. I typically buy a prepaid SIM card for use when I travel. You may want to read about setting up a "hot spot' with your phone if you need internet access on another device.

¡Buena suerte! 👣 :D :cool:

Wikiloc can use the same base maps.
I've since come to my senses. Wikiloc will show the IGN maps only if online (and you selected IGN for the base maps). The offline map will look like the one below showing the same area around Elizondo.

The IGN app (Mapas de España) must allow downloads of the IGN maps because I saw a "Resume download" menu item but I haven't discovered the way to start a download. I suspect the menu item to "Show map index" would do this but for me it does absolutely nothing.

Screenshot_20190905-153432.png

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Download Trailsmart app for about €8, you then download the Camino you will walk. There is a large choice of Caminos. It sits in your phone and you can call it up and it shows you where you are, a very detailed map and a red line showing where the Camino goes. No need for Wi-Fi or mobile data. Far better than Camino pilgrim. You may change your mind: there are several similar apps and you can sign in to the Wi-Fi at just about any decent albergue or restaurant and download a different app. I prefer to also purchase the Brierley book and tear out the page with the map for each day, then bin it at the end of the day.

I prefer to also purchase the Brierley book and tear out the page with the map for each day, then bin it at the end of the day.
@mmmmartin I scan the pages to PDF at home. I do this with all kinds of notes and resources. I put all of them on my phone (iBooks), so that I am not carrying any extra weight. I also upload them to Google Drive, so that I have a backup or resource to share.

¡Buena suerte! 👣 :D :cool:

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Good idea to scan it and have it in your phone. You might like to print it on paper for those times when it's pouring with rain and you want to save your phone battery. Each to their own.
And I personally think it's A Good Thing to buy the Brierley guide after all the trouble he went to in researching and publishing it.

You might like to print it on paper for those times when it's pouring with rain and you want to save your phone battery.

Or when the touch screen is so wet you can't use it. Even with a "waterproof" cover.

for a SIM card, you can buy that before you go - Amazon, or elsewhere. i think i've seen somewhere in the Camino Forum where the best coverage may be thru Orange or Vodafone.
I buy a SIM card wherever I travel, and it works just fine

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Personally, I hate Google Maps, and Apple Maps too. In broad daylight they’re impossible to read, because of the very slight contrast between roads and background. Easy to read the advertised businesses though.

Personally, I hate Google Maps, and Apple Maps too. In broad daylight they’re impossible to read, because of the very slight contrast between roads and background. Easy to read the advertised businesses though.

I've not had this same issue; I do adjust the brightness level of the screen to compensate and that helps me.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.