• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Interrupting the Camino

JohnLloyd

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés (2018), Português (2019), Inglés (2022)
Hello all

First post from a newbie, so I hope you’ll forgive me if I trample on any of the forum rules in asking this question.

I’m aiming to tackle the Camino for the first time at some point over the next two or three months.

My original thought was to start at SJPP in mid August and finish by late September, heading then back to San Sebastián for a stag weekend on the 29/30th.

But I’m now wondering if I should start later - break the journey to go to San Sebastián - and then rejoin the Camino and finish in mid October, which would coincide with my 50th birthday on the 11th.

What are your thoughts on the idea of breaking the Camino into two parts like this?

If I did it, where best would I break the path to head north to San Sebastián?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

John

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi, John, and a warm welcome to the Forum :)

Break up the Camino!!!!! Oh, the horrible breach of pilgrim rules and sensibilities..... it is an awful idea and will doom you. ;):p

Lots of people break the Camino into segments, and interrupt it for a variety of reasons and issues. It sounds like it might be a good fit for your needs, and there is not a single thing wrong in carrying out your plan. :)

By the way, I had to interrupt my Camino last year because of a medical concern (inguinal hernia surgery), and will be returning to complete my pilgrimage this September/October.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi, John, and a warm welcome to the Forum :)

Break up the Camino!!!!! Oh, the horrible breach of pilgrim rules and sensibilities..... it is an awful idea and will doom you. ;):p

Lots of people break the Camino into segments, and interrupt it for a variety of reasons and issues. It sounds like it might be a good fit for your needs, and there is not a single thing wrong in carrying out your plan. :)

By the way, I had to interrupt my Camino last year because of a medical concern (inguinal hernia surgery), and will be returning to complete my pilgrimage this September/October.
Thanks for the warm welcome, Dave!

Maybe we’ll bump into each other now!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
There are no rules against it, definitely , and anyone needs to follow their own heart guidance on this . From my experience, I would only do so if necessary - i feel it could be quite disruptive on a psychological level.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Walking into Santiago on your 50th will be elating Best birthday gift I gave myself for my 60th in 2012. If you need to plan out your Camino... plan for that...the rest will fall into place. Buen Camino.

I'm with @C clearly , and suggest you consider to do the walking after the partying.
You'll likely be in a very 'different' space once you've been on the road a bit (in a good way), and if so you'll enjoy the gathering a lot more before than afterwards.
And sure you can break the walk into two parts - but if you plan that, you might not feel like getting out of the walking rhythm to go to the stag do when the time comes.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
@JohnLloyd , lots of different views above.

I have two thoughts

1) I (and many others) do break up the march westward. For example, in May 2016 I stopped at Estella and spent four days in Barcelona. The returned to Logrono to restart. And before and after that I had several 1 or 2 day rest stops as required.

2) Having read, marked, learnt and inwardly digested all the above amd what might follow, you will consult your own needs and decide accordingly.

Kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going)

Thanks to all for your thoughtful comments.

I’ve now committed to doing one thing at a time.

My flight to Biarritz is booked for August 21st, which gives me 38 days to walk the Camino before heading to San Sebastián for the stag do.

I think that makes more sense.

Now, to up the preparation!

On that topic, does this look like sufficient training distances?

AEB411BC-F752-40E4-8B05-6E957DB213DC.jpeg

Last edited:
Hello all

First post from a newbie, so I hope you’ll forgive me if I trample on any of the forum rules in asking this question.

I’m aiming to tackle the Camino for the first time at some point over the next two or three months.

My original thought was to start at SJPP in mid August and finish by late September, heading then back to San Sebastián for a stag weekend on the 29/30th.

But I’m now wondering if I should start later - break the journey to go to San Sebastián - and then rejoin the Camino and finish in mid October, which would coincide with my 50th birthday on the 11th.

What are your thoughts on the idea of breaking the Camino into two parts like this?

If I did it, where best would I break the path to head north to San Sebastián?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

John
Hi John
What a great idea of finishing your camino with a birthday :) sounds win win to me two walks and two celebrations!

Thanks to all for your thoughtful comments.

I’ve now committed to doing one thing at a time.

My flight to Biarritz is booked for August 21st, which gives me 38 days to walk the Camino before heading to San Sebastián for the stag do.

I think that makes more sense.

Now, to up the preparation!

View attachment 44596
Well, you’ve certainly taken it up a notch in July. It’s hard to answer your question, since you know your body better than others. What I would suggest to folks who are interested in training for their Camino is to get in several 8 - 10 km walking days a week, with a 12-14 km day thrown in now and then. It seems you’re at that level in July. I’m not one who subscribes to the idea that to train for the Camino you have to duplicate the exact amount of walking you’ll be doing in Spain. I just don’t think it’s practical. I can’t find six hours a day to train, so I make due with my 5 mile hikes several times a week. As my Camino approaches I will get in a longer hike at least once a week.

Sounds like you have made up your mind to do the Camino in one stretch since your OP. One other thought I would add in support to the other good points already made, is that once you start walking, you will find yourself a part of a 'cohort' of sorts, from which you may make some great friendships. It would be a shame to interrupt that experience by stepping off the trail and starting again later when you will be the 'new guy'. That being said, I had to take a break for health reasons during one of my Caminos, and met some great folks when rejoined a few weeks later as I was in a better headspace. So it really is hard to say until you are out there. Following your gut sounds like the best plan. Buen Camino!

Yes and no.

That will cerainly get you fit of body.

At this stage you will also need quite a few prolonged trips to get you fit of mind for the day after day journey.

Your recording system doesn't seem to show elevation gain. Coping with hills, big and not so big, each day can be a leveller (pun intended)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Im heading out that day to, and celebrating my 50 th......no stag's planned along the way though.

See you on the road

Buen Camino
Hi there - apologies for the delayed response, I’ve been distracted by things here in Iceland.

Looking forward to it very much now.

Maybe because it is long past, I wouldn't plan a camino around my 50th birthday. Sure, many people break their caminos for various reasons, but I think it would be quite odd to break it to put a stag weekend in the middle! Have you considered starting at SJPP after that weekend?

Thanks for your thoughts.

That would be too much of a delay, I think!

I’m going to try to do SJPP to SDC in one trip from August 22nd, go to the stag do on September 28th and then I’ll think about going on to Muxia and Finisterre as a last stage afterwards.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Yes and no.

That will cerainly get you fit of body.

At this stage you will also need quite a few prolonged trips to get you fit of mind for the day after day journey.

Your recording system doesn't seem to show elevation gain. Coping with hills, big and not so big, each day can be a leveller (pun intended)

Thanks Alwyn!

I finished July on 386k steps and nearly 260km with quite a few Icelandic hills and mountain paths included.

Elevations slow me but they do not defeat me.

Is it fair to say that the Napoleon route on the first stage is one of the hardest of all?

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back