• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Interview with Ender about the Camino del Salvador

peregrina2000

Staff member
This is a long video, dealing with all sorts of hiking and climbing routes in the municipality of Villamanín. I have not watched it all, but the first part about the Via Ferrata is pretty amazing. Not for me, but I’m sure there are some who would try it. I will say I was impressed that the middle-aged mayor went along, and he did not seem to be in terrific mountain-climbing shape, and he made it just fine!

Then I jumped up to minute 28:51 where there is a short interview with Ender about the historical Camino del Salvador. Not too many shots of the route, unfortunately, but the one thing that surprised me was that the number of pilgrims on this route has seen a steady annual increase of 25% to 30% for the last few years. Pre-covid of course.

There are many ways to walk the Salvador — from León to Oviedo to start the Primitivo, from León to avilés to continue on the Norte, or just as a short caminio in its own right (complete with credential and official certificate). Highly recommended for an addition to your camino dreaming. Buen camino, Laurie

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I walked the Salvador last year. Absolutely beautiful scenery, delightful people and hardy Asturias food. A highlight was staying at the albergue Buenduenos near Herias where Sandra gave me a small ceramic pin like the one in this video, starting at 30:22. The speaker seams to be explaining the significance of the pin. I speak very little Spanish so I don’t know what he’s saying. Can any forum Spanish speakers interpret for me? This pin has special meaning to me.

I walked the Salvador last year. Absolutely beautiful scenery, delightful people and hardy Asturias food. A highlight was staying at the albergue Buenduenos near Herias where Sandra gave me a small ceramic pin like the one in this video, starting at 30:22. The speaker seams to be explaining the significance of the pin. I speak very little Spanish so I don’t know what he’s saying. Can any forum Spanish speakers interpret for me? This pin has special meaning to me.

Hi, Jeff,
Ender is explaining the significance of the yellow arrow, how you won’t get lost without it, and how it all started with Father Elías Valiño in O Cebreiro who started the tradition (I don’t know if it’s true, but the story is that the priest got a bunch of leftover paint from the highway department and used it to paint arrows, and that’s how the tradition started).

I think there are other groups that give out the same papier maché arrow, maybe the Mozárabe group in Alicante if I remember correctly. I agree with you that the personal touch of the small gift makes for a great way to remember a spectacular camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks peregrina2000. I thought I heard several “Santa Maria’s” mentioned In Ender’s rapid Spanish. Sandra had a special devotion to Mary and I thought there might have been a connection to the pin. I hope to return to the Salvador, in conjunction with the Madrid and Primativo, in 2022.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi, Jeff,
Ender is explaining the significance of the yellow arrow, how you won’t get lost without it, and how it all started with Father Elías Valiño in O’Cebreiro who started the tradition (I don’t know if it’s true, but the story is that the priest got a bunch of leftover paint from the highway department and used it to paint arrows, and that’s how the tradition started).

I think there are other groups that give out the same papier maché arrow, maybe the Mozárabe group in Alicante if I remember correctly. I agree with you that the personal touch of the small gift makes for a great way to remember a spectacular camino!
@peregrina2000: Ray y Rosa give out small yellow arrow plastic pins to the pilgrims at dinner in their home in Manzanares el Real, on the Madrid. I don't know what happened to the pin, but I retain the memory, as well as the connection with Father Elias Valino.

My Camino dreaming has me thinking of walking the Salvador starting in Oviedo to Leon, the Frances to Ponferrada, the Invierno, and the Sanabres to Santiago. I like the idea of walking on lots of new, and also some familiar, ground. I haven’t found a guidebook for the Salvador.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
@peregrina2000: Ray y Rosa give out small yellow arrow plastic pins to the pilgrims at dinner in their home in Manzanares el Real, on the Madrid. I don't know what happened to the pin, but I retain the memory, as well as the connection with Father Elias Valino.
We were given yellow arrow pins at Bodenaya on the Primitivo in 2018. A lovely gesture!

I haven’t found a guidebook for the Salvador.

Here’s a post that gives a link to the translation of Ender’s guide to the Salvador. This is from 2016, but I think the only thing that has probably changed has been the numbers of pilgrims— constantly going up.

He was doing annual updates, and I was translating them, but his attention has turned to the Olvidado, and more recently to promoting mountain hiking trails in his area.

You will be walking the Salvador in reverse, since historically it was a detour off the Francés to visit Oviedo, but of course the pilgrims walked back to León to continue on the Francés as you propose. So it’s actdually only in reverse in the sense that the guide is written for those who walk León to Oviedo

While you’re playing around with camino dreams, you could go León to Oviedo on the Salvador and the into Santiago on the Primitivo.

Alternatively, I think the Olvidado plus the Invierno (Bilbal to Ponferrada, then the Invierno) is probably the most wonderful combination of them all.

My Camino dreaming has me thinking of walking the Salvador starting in Oviedo to Leon, the Frances to Ponferrada, the Invierno, and the Sanabres to Santiago. I like the idea of walking on lots of new, and also some familiar, ground. I haven’t found a guidebook for the Salvador.
I did the Salvador in 2019. I used Enders guide, Forwalk, Wise Pilgrim, and @Elle Bieling's blog

20190602_134719_copy_1008x756_1.jpg
20190602_134808_copy_1008x756.jpg

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I used the Wise Pilgrim app as my guide. I walked north from Leon to Oviedo and that's the way the app is set up.The trail was well marked with yellow arrows in most places, but in a few places they were sparse enough that I got off track. The app helped me get back on track. It's not a heavily traveled Camino, at least in early May. I walked the Salvador in 5 days, 3 of them I was the only pilgrim in sight or in the albergues.

It's not a heavily traveled Camino, at least in early May.
I think that’s true most of the year, but Ender has told me that in August it gets really crowded. And the facilities are not sufficient for the numbers. I’ve walked it in October, June and July and never had a problem, though there were always others walking, I wasn’t alone.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.