• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Interview with @Sagalouts on his last day on earth

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Don't mean to derail this thread, but isn't that our beloved @Sagalouts participating in the conversation where the mention of the slaughterhouse comes in? RIP, amigo.

He says, "I'd be happy if I died tomorrow."
Whoah.

I wonder if his family have seen this video?
He's wonderful.

In another thread about slaughterhouses on the Camino, a link to a youtube interview was posted.

Turns out that the woman who made the video interviewed @Sagalouts on the night before he died. I decided to make a separate thread for those who may not be following the debate about the slaughterhouses. If you enjoyed Ian's posts, you will be touched by this. (I found that on youtube, the Ian segment has been posted separately).

RIP

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Strangely I had just watched the video on youtube ten minutes before I read the discussion on slaughterhouses. When I watched the video and heard what he said I was deeply affected.

RIP, he seemed a lovely and wise man. My heart is with his family a friends.

@SAGALOUTS SON notifying the forum of his father's death:

@Sagalouts brother remembers:

@Sagalouts blog:

Part of a post by @Sagalouts on this forum:
I was in a good place and realized that hey this is where I want to be this is what I want to be doing,it was a peaceful time for me this exception, better for me to go while on the Camino
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/three-deaths-on-the-camino.11213/

Once again the url of the interview with @Sagalouts:

I watched this video a while back, as I've watched many more while getting ready for My Camino. It was one of the best in my opinion and I distinctly remember this part. I was profoundly impacted by it (the old man saying if he were to die the next day) that I shared it with some friends of mine who are interested in the pilgrimage. The Camino provides. In my case this video.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Sometimes the coincidence of words spoken and the events following is just too powerful. In the days when I used to preach regularly I twice read an extract from the final sermon of Archbishop Oscar Romero from the pulpit rather than speak my own words. On the days when the lectionary prescribed the Gospel passage which says unless a grain of wheat dies it remains a single grain. Speaking of sacrifice at the altar moments before his own assassination. Nothing I might have said myself could possibly have been more appropriate or moving. Something of that here.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I actually watched this Youtube video last year and felt sad after knowing that the gentleman passed away a day after that interview. I agree that he shared a poignant account about why we walk the Camino. It's touching. RIP, Peregrino!

Hi, Annie, I know that Ivar has had some email contact with his family, and I have asked him to forward it if he thinks they may not have seen it. It is incredibly poignant. You just never know.
They have--it's in his brother's blog.
Which gives a sense of the complex person this man was, a real mix. The Camino brought out the best in him, as it does for most of us.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back