• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Interview with the new dean of the Cathedral in Santiago

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It was great interview. that you for spotting it.

for the new dean, he is a bit underdressed as a dean of a major Cathedral?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Random thoughts: José Fernández Lago, the new dean of the Cathedral of Santiago, owns a warm brown sweater. It must be cold in winter in Santiago in the Cathedral, and he isn't the youngest. He dresses according to the occasion. Not looking too "official" for an informal interview may help to convey to the general public that he and the cathedral he represents are welcoming to visitors and pilgrims from all over the world and all walks of life, which I think is one of his goals in his new job. I didn't notice what he wears in the photo because I concentrated on the content of the interview.

Wardrobe.jpg

Last edited:
You ask a question. I am hesitating, but I will risk saying: the clothes make not the man. His words tell me more about the quality of the man and his contribution than any outfit he might wear.
He surpervised the Bible in Galician. I like the Galician Church using more and more our language. There are still parishes 100% Galician speaker where the mass is in Spanish.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
He surpervised the Bible in Galician. I like the Galician Church using more and more our language. There are still parishes 100% Galician speaker where the mass is in Spanish.
This is the sort of context that we international readers from outside Galicia don't understand and don't even notice. I appreciate your input ... I didn't understand these references to the Bible in the interview/article when I read the article. I've now learnt that the first official version of the Bible in the Galician language was published in 1989, i.e the first time ever that it was translated from Greek, Hebrew and Aramaic into Galician ... is this correct?

Last edited:
This is the sort of context that we international readers from outside Galicia don't understand and don't even notice. I appreciate your input ... I didn't understand these references to the Bible in the interview/article when I read the article. I've now learnt that the first official version of the Bible in the Galician language was published in 1989, i.e the first time ever that it was translated from Greek, Hebrew and Aramaic into Galician ... is this correct?
As far as I know before the Council Vatican II all the Catholic Bibles were in Latin. From 1962 to 1975 was Franco in power so all the Bibles in Spanish.
According to the article the Bible in Galician project started in 1974.
So yes before 1989 there wasn't Bible in Galician.

What's the role of the dean? I know Santiago de Compostela also has an archbishop, who I assume is the person in charge. Not being a Catholic, these details are unfamiliar to me.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I wonder if the translators would have gone to the early sources or just translated a Castilian copy? I’d have thought it would be difficult to find someone sufficiently fluent in gallego and ancient Aramaic.

I wonder if the translators would have gone to the early sources or just translated a Castilian copy? I’d have thought it would be difficult to find someone sufficiently fluent in gallego and ancient Aramaic.
I learnt today: There's text in Aramaic in the source text of the Bible. There's very little Aramaic in the source text of the Bible. Initially, I had left out "Aramaic" in my quote from the article and I had only mentioned Greek and Hebrew. Then I decided to add Aramaic, thinking when I leave it out someone will point out that there are three languages in the source text. I didn't see your comment coming. 🤣

We might now venture into the areas of bilingualism and what makes a good translation/good translator - one doesn't have to do much with the other, however. Interesting topics, both of them, and I even know a thing or two, without having to google but it will move too far off the thread. 😎

But this I know for certain: They didn't just translate from a Castilian copy. An article from 2014: José Fernández Lago, translator of the Bible into Galician. I am sure there is more on the web.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
What's the role of the dean? I know Santiago de Compostela also has an archbishop, who I assume is the person in charge. Not being a Catholic, these details are unfamiliar to me.

As far as I know the Dean in this specific situation in the pastor/ priest of the cathedral parish.

Here in Belgium in the local parishes the Dean is the person or appointed priest who is in charge of coordinating his fellow colleagues / priests of different parishes in the same region.

Hope someone comes in and gives more information regarding the situation in Spain.

Not being any religion I too would like to know what his role is. I may not have religion but I am "stuck" being Jewish as my dearly departed Mom and Grandma's I still feel are looking over my shoulder and I am also "stuck" being a Jewish Mother to my daughters.:) :)

He looks very well dressed for me. Having no idea of what he does and if there is a "dress code" how should he be dressed in your opinion? It seems like when he is in his official capacity (at least according to the photos above) he looks like a priest to me. I assume he is of course. I would also assume that when he is not conducting his priestly duties his attire can be more casual and I would think more inviting and less assuming to the general public. Just speculation of course.

As far as I know before the Council Vatican II all the Catholic Bibles were in Latin. From 1962 to 1975 was Franco in power so all the Bibles in Spanish.
According to the article the Bible in Galician project started in 1974.
So yes before 1989 there wasn't Bible in Galician.
Minor detail: there have been English language Catholic Bible translations since at least 1900...ISTR a one called the Challoner translation that was in the late 19th century. There may have been earlier ones.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Archbishops don't do everything themselves, there is too much stuff to worry about. They have staff. The Middle Ages were full of drama involving the relationships (sometimes quite bad) between the bishop and his cathedral priests. Not even mentioning the various bureacratic staffers. The dean would be the head of the cathedral's group of priests I think. (My diocese has a fairly large area with multiple urban areas in it, and there are I think 3 "deaneries" which are groups of priests stationed in a particular part of the diocese.)

Sabine, thank you for the link to the interview. I really enjoyed reading it since I understood most of it after studying Spanish during my Corona year. And I have learned so much about the Catholic church from this thread.

He studied three years at the Biblicum in Rome, and a fourth in Jerusalem. Language training in Greek and Hebrew, primarily, and Aramaic to a lesser extent would have been the heart of his studies in that time. The Biblicum has a very good reputation for linguistic training. Fr. Lago, a native of Galicia, would stand a very good chance of also being a native speaker of Gallegan.

As for Aramaic, the Hebrew testament is 99% in Hebrew, and the New Testament is 99% in Greek. There are only a few sections in Aramaic: ch 2:4-7:28 of Daniel and some few other short passages in Ezra. Only small phrases of Aramaic occur in the New Testament (E.g., talitha koum “little girl, arise” and Eli, Eli, lema sabacthani, “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?”

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Does anyone know a good shop I SDC where they have local cheeses, hams and other delicacies to take home?
The Galicia Rail pass is available to anyone who completes the Camino and is awarded the completion certificate. It allows for 3 days of train travel and also discounts to other places you may...
Has anybody recently volunteered at the Pilgrim office for the 15 day timeframe? Where did you stay in Santiago?
For those who are in Santiago 🙏🏻

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.