• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Intro and question about mass...

Eve Alexandra

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2017 Astorga-SDC, April 2022 SJPP-Muxia
Hi there,

I've been lurking here since November when I bought my tickets. I'm leaving for Spain on the 15th of March. I'm 46. I'll be walking mostly alone, although I have a Camino Angel (Julia) from this forum who is meeting up with me for the first two days. <3

I'm starting in Astorga. I'm the mother of many (7, to be exact), so getting away for 4-5 weeks just isn't doable. That said, I'm super grateful for the time I do have.

Somewhere I read that the Pilgrim's Mass is...ummm...not exactly reverent, compared to the smaller masses offered in the side chapels. I'm finalizing my plans and I'm trying to decide if it is important to me to attend an actual Pilgrim's Mass, or if one of these side chapel masses would be better. I'm Catholic, and this is a penitential pilgrimage for me...I'll be lining up for confession as well.

I don't have a lot of time in Santiago...if I don't have to get to mass the same day I arrive, it makes my last walking day a bit easier. That's why I am asking. I'm trying to finalize my stages.

Thanks to you all for all the advice.

And a s/o to SYates...I bought your book on Kindle today. In spite of having read both Brierly and Village to Village, I am finding your book incredibly practical and helpful.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You sound as though the Pilgrim Mass might be beneath your needs, so a side chapel will be your best choice. Confession can be heard in a lot of languages.

I wouln't say that. I have been looking forward to the Pilgrim's Mass for a long time. And then I read several descriptions of people who just popped in to see the Botafumeiro with flash cameras and exit...and then I wondered if it was still possible to focus on God as well.

It is hard to know when you are only reading other's descriptions and have never been anywhere near Santiago before. :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The botafumeiro is not swung in every Pilgrim's Mass. Actually, it has become kind of difficult to see it (there is a separate thread about this).

I saw that. It would be lovely to see it, but mostly, I just want to stand in awe in such a lovely church, where people have been standing for 1000 years after walking to get there. It is so very mystical, magical, and wonderful. I'm getting excited...only a bit more than a month till I leave.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
If you can, attend Mass as often as you can: Botafumeiro, small mass, cathedral, tiny chapels, go. Camino number two I attended mass daily, or nearly, and it really added to my spiritual well-being. Between Astorga and Santiago you will find services dedicated to pilgrims here and there.
Buen camino

That's a good idea, planning on going to more than one. I suppose if I get there very late the last day I walk in, it won't be the end of the world if I go to mass the next morning. But it is probably a good idea to at least try for the 7:30 pilgrim's mass.

I'm tentatively planning on walking in from O Pedrouzo to Santiago on my last day. Will have to get settled in Albergue/shower, wait in line for Compostela and then mass. The next day I fly out in the early afternoon. I had hoped to have 2 days in Santiago, but I'm running into issues with scheduling stages that are manageable for me.

I am hitting Rabanal, O Cebriero, Samos, and the monastery in Sarria, for masses along the way.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I really can't tell "pilgrim mass" from any other mass where the botafumeiro is on display. You are right, it has become a bit, or a lot of a spectacle. Let alone that the sound is horrible and ot is difficult to understand what is being said, regardless of the language.

If you are looking for a religiously meaningful mass, I can't help but think that the "pilgrim mass" will leave you unhinged.

There is an English service in one of the chapels. Perhaps that would be more meaningful.

I really can't tell "pilgrim mass" from any other mass where the botafumeiro is on display. You are right, it has become a bit, or a lot of a spectacle. Let alone that the sound is horrible and ot is difficult to understand what is being said, regardless of the language.

If you are looking for a religiously meaningful mass, I can't help but think that the "pilgrim mass" will leave you unhinged.

There is an English service in one of the chapels. Perhaps that would be more meaningful.

I looked on the Cathedral's web site. It lists all the chapel masses but not what languages they are in. I will definitely get to an English one if I can. Thank you for your thoughts.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I attended the pilgrim's mass in Santiago (with and without the botafumeiro) a few times, and attended mass in several smaller churches all along the CF. I liked them all. As they say, same same, but different. Go to every mass you can I say.

Duly noted. :) I think I'll just plan with them in mind but let it be ok if walking takes longer than I imagine.

What about Sunday masses?

I wouln't say that. I have been looking forward to the Pilgrim's Mass for a long time. And then I read several descriptions of people who just popped in to see the Botafumeiro with flash cameras and exit...and then I wondered if it was still possible to focus on God as well.

It is hard to know when you are only reading other's descriptions and have never been anywhere near Santiago before. :)
I walked with my DH in 2014 and then we walked again in 2015. Yes, the Spirit speaks to you at the Pilgrims' Mass. (Caveat: in 2014 it was the main Mass of Corpus Christi Sunday. In 2015 it was the famous Friday evening Mass.) I will also make bold to advise you that, like in a number of other churches you will encounter on the Frances, there is Adoration. And I will also admit, in public yet, that the moment in 2014 when I knelt in the Adoration chapel to give thanks to Him was...well, let's just say it was a high point for me.
I experienced the watching-over of the pilgrims more than once on that walk. (NOt only the Spanish police are watching over you!) And I learned a lot! Mostly to let my sweetie do what he was doing and not natter on at him. But to this day, if I'm awake enough to remember at night, I give thanks to Santiago, to San Rocco, etc. etc.
Can I take the opportunity to invite you, not only to visit the Adoration Chapels of various churches like Santo Domingo de Calzada, and to keep your eyes open for the opportunity from time to time, as in Estella on a Saturday evening after the Pilgrims' Mass, and in Leon at the Church of San Isidro (perpetually exposed), but also to visit your local parish and enter into the spiritual communion at Adoration?
Buen camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Ok. Got to be honest - when I saw the title of this thread (Intro and Question about Mass) my first thought was "what does an object's resistance to acceleration when a net force is applied have to do with the Camino?" and I got REALLY EXCITED about what the answers would be ;-) And after reading the responses, I was humbled and still very excited with what was posted.

Duly noted. :) I think I'll just plan with them in mind but let it be ok if walking takes longer than I imagine.

What about Sunday masses?
I don't remember what days I went to mass. I would just go whenever they were having it in the town I was in, and I just happened to find out about it. For the most part masses in the late afternoon/early evening after I had already settled in at the albergue.
In Santiago I went to the first mass I could when I got there. It was in the afternoon. I also went to the first mass the next morning. I just focus on mass, and cancel out any tourists shuffling about. I know why I'm there, and that's all that matters to me.

I walked with my DH in 2014 and then we walked again in 2015. Yes, the Spirit speaks to you at the Pilgrims' Mass. (Caveat: in 2014 it was the main Mass of Corpus Christi Sunday. In 2015 it was the famous Friday evening Mass.) I will also make bold to advise you that, like in a number of other churches you will encounter on the Frances, there is Adoration. And I will also admit, in public yet, that the moment in 2014 when I knelt in the Adoration chapel to give thanks to Him was...well, let's just say it was a high point for me.
I experienced the watching-over of the pilgrims more than once on that walk. (NOt only the Spanish police are watching over you!) And I learned a lot! Mostly to let my sweetie do what he was doing and not natter on at him. But to this day, if I'm awake enough to remember at night, I give thanks to Santiago, to San Rocco, etc. etc.
Can I take the opportunity to invite you, not only to visit the Adoration Chapels of various churches like Santo Domingo de Calzada, and to keep your eyes open for the opportunity from time to time, as in Estella on a Saturday evening after the Pilgrims' Mass, and in Leon at the Church of San Isidro (perpetually exposed), but also to visit your local parish and enter into the spiritual communion at Adoration?
Buen camino.

I'm a convert. Because of Adoration. I am definitely making it a priority. Thank you for sharing your story. I appreciate it.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Just walking into the churches may bring experiences you didn't think of...
We walked into Iglesia de Santa María La Mayor, in Belorado, and a priest was in the confessional.
There were 3 Italian pilgrims (one blind), already in the church. When he noticed the blind pilgrim, he came out and gave each of them a private blessing.
Afterwards, he also gave us an individual blessing and sang a hymm for us.
A truly moving moment!

Just walking into the churches may bring experiences you didn't think of...
We walked into Iglesia de Santa María La Mayor, in Belorado, and a priest was in the confessional.
There were 3 Italian pilgrims (one blind), already in the church. When he noticed the blind pilgrim, he came out and gave each of them a private blessing.
Afterwards, he also gave us an individual blessing and sang a hymm for us.
A truly moving moment!

Wow. Amazing. I am getting so excited, just talking with you all!

I am such a simple person and not sure if I should say anything. When I walked, I did meet many people, but I essentially walked alone. When I walked into the Cathedral, I was still hot , sweaty and early for the pilgrims Mass at noon. I sat on a seat right on the aisle, on the pilgrims side. Rested and waited. I sat and spoke with God. The Mass commenced, the Botefumerio, swung (I was concerned the coals would drop on me), I bawled my eyes out. It was such a culmination of the whole journey. I felt I had earned that celebration. What joy.

Yes, there were distractions around me, but I had earned this time with God so I focused on that.

I am English speaking and the English Mass was at 7:30am, the next days, I went to those as well.

All this being said, you have your own path to walk. Embrace it. Enjoy it. Struggle with it. When you arrive, you will know what is right for you. It will be be all about you and your faith and belief.

Happy Trails

Be well, be happy.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I loved my time in the cathedral. The sense of communion with all the other pilgrims was SO moving. I was there in late May, just a bit off season I guess, and there wasn't any touristy/as opposed to deeply spiritual activity, at least that I noticed. My plan this next early October, when I next hope to arrive in Santiago, is to do both the big pilgrim Mass, and side chapel intimate Mass. I'm looking forward to both.

With you in spirit, Eve Alexandra!

Ultreia! Et suseia!

@Eve Alexandra , hi and welcome to this forum.

I was time rich when I completed from Sarria a few years ago and stayed in Santiago for nearly four days. And I practically lived in the Cathedral most of the time so as to let my pilgrimage to the WWI battlefields my country had been involved in, as well as my experiences over five days in Galicia, to take root and let me return to the world of my family.

The trick I learnt, to zone out distractions, was to get a seat as close to the front right as I could. And that meant I was able to both see and hear the Sister who led the music. (I have a hearing loss).

To achieve that I would be present, from about Communion at the mass before, and loiter as close as possible to my preferred pew. That allowed me to make an unhurried dash ...

Kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Eva,
There is a pilgrim Mass every evening in the Cathedral at 7.30 p.m.

Take Alwyn's advice and get up near the altar.

All the pews will hold five people, but often thoughtless people spread themselves out a bit.. If you see a pew with only four, suggest to them that they make space for you by holding your hands together and then separating them. If they are reluctant to squeeze up, hold up your hand with five fingers spread and then show them only four fingers. If you stand there a few seconds someone will make space for you.

If the butofumero is hanging it will swing. If you want a really good view of it swinging sit in either the north or south transept rather than the nave of the church. The Northern transept is usually less crowded then the Southern one.

I love the early morning Masses in the Blessed Sacrament chapel which is on the left hand side of the nave as you face the main altar.

There is usually an English Language mass at 10.30. weekdays and 9.00 am Sundays in a chapel off the Northern transept. Just cannot recall the name right now but it is opposite confessionals 14 an 15.

If the English Mass is on there will be Sacrament of reconciliation available in English in confessional 14 before mass and after mass.

It seems to me, as to many others, that many people come to the pilgrim Mass as sightseers rather than as worshipers and it does take from the atmosphere of reverence one would like to experience. Never the less they are there, and in the house of God all are welcome, and who knows how God works.
Think rather of the millions of pilgrims who have come here to pray at the tomb of St. James down through the centuries.

8.00 am is a very good time to visit the tomb as there are few people about

Enjoy every minute of your Camino, Enjoy the freedom to do just as you want and not have to take every one of your family into consideration all the time. It is so exhilarating! Maybe it is part of the reason I keep returning!

Buen Camino Eve

I wouln't say that. I have been looking forward to the Pilgrim's Mass for a long time. And then I read several descriptions of people who just popped in to see the Botafumeiro with flash cameras and exit... :)
Popping in has been stopped. There is only one entrance, and it is closed before mass starts. People can leave early, but the botafumeiro is at the end, so few leave. There is a lengthy announcement about not taking photos or videos. The botafumeiro starts, and a thousand cameras cameras flash!! An equal number of videos are taken by the phones thrust into the air. The foreground of all those videos is a sea of hands.

It is the most widely ignored announcement since the invention of the airline seatbelt announcement (most of us mastered the seatbelt years ago). I think it is more about copyright than solemnity. Once they moved the swing from its normal place in the middle of mass to the end after mass was "over", they tacitly admitted that there was a big showmanship element.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
@Eve Alexandra - I think that the English Mass only is available from May, not in March, unless the timetable is extended this year. There are other chapels and I think each had a sign telling the times and language in 2015. We have attended the Pilgrims Mass and found it meaningful, also the English Mass which was again very moving. Maybe decide when you arrive which time etc feels right for you. As the Botafumeiro swings usually after the Mass you should not feel it detracts from the solemnity I think you are seeking. There seemed to be more respect on the days it is swung as part of the Mass (eg Pentecost) - at least that was our experience.
Buen Camino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have to smile when we discuss English mass or others, It reminds of sitting thru mass when it was always in Latin after awhile you can recite in from any language because it is so familiar.
You will find many you have walked with who say it is just a walk in tears sitting next or close to you. Very good reason to have open hearts.

What a treasure, all of these experiences and suggestions for where to sit. I think I am just going to try to get to both, and if it doesn't happen, well that will be fine, too.

I have a few bits to finalize with my pack, and more training to do. 34 days to go...not that I'm counting or anything. ;)

Hi there,

I've been lurking here since November when I bought my tickets. I'm leaving for Spain on the 15th of March. I'm 46. I'll be walking mostly alone, although I have a Camino Angel (Julia) from this forum who is meeting up with me for the first two days. <3

I'm starting in Astorga. I'm the mother of many (7, to be exact), so getting away for 4-5 weeks just isn't doable. That said, I'm super grateful for the time I do have.

Somewhere I read that the Pilgrim's Mass is...ummm...not exactly reverent, compared to the smaller masses offered in the side chapels. I'm finalizing my plans and I'm trying to decide if it is important to me to attend an actual Pilgrim's Mass, or if one of these side chapel masses would be better. I'm Catholic, and this is a penitential pilgrimage for me...I'll be lining up for confession as well.

I don't have a lot of time in Santiago...if I don't have to get to mass the same day I arrive, it makes my last walking day a bit easier. That's why I am asking. I'm trying to finalize my stages.

And a s/o to SYates...I bought your book on Kindle today. In spite of having read both Brierly and Village to Village, I am finding your book incredibly practical and helpful.
I think the experience of Mass is what you make it - it depends what you're there for. I am a Catholic and my pilgrimages have been "religious". I wouldn't have missed the Pilgrim Mass for anything - all the times I have arrived in Santiago I have wept for joy and gratitude at the Pilgrim Mass. If you have made a pilgrim "family" on your journey you may want to be with them. But also I have been to a side chapel Mass, which is obviously quieter and more reverent. But, imho, the Pilgrim Mass is not to be missed.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
There are dedicated "Pilgrims' Masses" in many of the stops along the way, but in reality the only difference is the special blessing of pilgrims at some point during or at the end of the Mass -- and at Santiago where the pilgrims' countries of origin are noted. One of the main highlights of the Masses I attended were those in the smaller villages where I often found myself sitting next to one of the locals whose forebears may have literally built the church we were in perhaps 800 or a thousand years before. Since you're starting in Astorga, one of your first stops will be at Rabanal (one of my favorite churches), where not only the Mass but the Evening Vespers are special memories. Another memorable Mass was at Triacastela, where pilgrims from various countries were asked to participate by leading the daily readings in their native tongue.

Not every town or village will have a Mass at a time which suits your schedule, but I urge you to attend as many as possible. And count me in the camp that says don't miss the Pilgrims' Mass at the cathedral in Santiago, botafumeiro or not. It is the symbolic end of your pilgrimage.

Eve - there aren't always Saturday Vigil masses and indeed Sunday masses can be unpredictable in smaller places where the priest may have multiple parishes - the priest in Cebreiro for example has 14 parishes. Hospitaleros may know but you should also listen for the church bell.

14 parishes???? Good heavens...I'm guessing Sunday Obligation is mediated in areas like this?

There are dedicated "Pilgrims' Masses" in many of the stops along the way, but in reality the only difference is the special blessing of pilgrims at some point during or at the end of the Mass -- and at Santiago where the pilgrims' countries of origin are noted. One of the main highlights of the Masses I attended were those in the smaller villages where I often found myself sitting next to one of the locals whose forebears may have literally built the church we were in perhaps 800 or a thousand years before. Since you're starting in Astorga, one of your first stops will be at Rabanal (one of my favorite churches), where not only the Mass but the Evening Vespers are special memories. Another memorable Mass was at Triacastela, where pilgrims from various countries were asked to participate by leading the daily readings in their native tongue.

Not every town or village will have a Mass at a time which suits your schedule, but I urge you to attend as many as possible. And count me in the camp that says don't miss the Pilgrims' Mass at the cathedral in Santiago, botafumeiro or not. It is the symbolic end of your pilgrimage.

I actually shifted my plans to make sure I didn't miss Vespers in Rabanal. I'm probably going to have to bus for a bit one day in order to get to Santiago in time to make my flight. Rabanal. O Cebriero. Samos. And the monastery in Sarria are high on my priority list. I'm looking forward to just sitting where people have worshipped for hundreds of years.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Also you may discover that you are attending a funeral rather than Mass, be careful of assumptions. As I did. I saw a group entering a church in a small town at the end of the afternoon & quickly got my pack into a alburgue & went right over. As soon as I entered I felt horrible realizing my mistake, not enough pardones in my mouth. The locals in the back of the church quietly understood & I quietly left. As I was leaving 2 other pilgrims were about to make the same mistake. So I let them know. A better understanding of language should help. Simple respect in any church at all times goes a long way.

I actually shifted my plans to make sure I didn't miss Vespers in Rabanal. I'm probably going to have to bus for a bit one day in order to get to Santiago in time to make my flight. Rabanal. O Cebriero. Samos. And the monastery in Sarria are high on my priority list. I'm looking forward to just sitting where people have worshipped for hundreds of years.
Wow Eve, you go on camino next month!!!

re Rabanal, Vespers at 7 PM is a lovely service, where normally several passages are read by pilgrims in their own languages, but my favourite time in that magic little church is the Compline [prayer at the end of the day] service at 9.30 PM. Compline finishes with a pilgrim blessing, very meaningful, and very moving.

Mass in Rabanal is not until 9.30 AM, which suits the locals just fine, but is not so well-timed for pilgrims, who have mostly hit the road at least 2 hours before.

re the pilgrim mass at 12.00 in the cathedral I say just go and enjoy. You are a pilgrim, and you will have made it.

buen camino

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

Rabanal is a very special place.

Imagine my surprise 17/11/2011 when entering that small Romanesque sanctuary to be greeted by cozy heat as well as the Abbot who smiled as he directly asked "Do you speak English?". When I nodded he then handed me a selection on St Elisabeth and love to read aloud during the service. After briefly scanning the passage, smoothing my hair, pulling down my anorak, and worrying that my wooly pants might look too messy, I went "live" in front of the assembled other pilgrims and parish members. After the service we all filed out into the frosty night.

...Next morning cold fog swirled white and dense throughout the village. The local bread delivery truck was parked where the camino continues westward. Dressed in "civies" the Abbot was buying two huge loaves for his monastery. As we nodded to each other I thanked him for the past evening's service; he wished me a spiritual Buen Camino and then disappeared into the white. After these brief encounters each of us would follow his own path alone into the fog blanketed unknown.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You all.... <3.... I cannot even tell you how much I have been fretting the last month. Mostly because life is not allowing the amount of physical training I would have liked to do. I have 7 children...getting away for long hikes on a regular basis is difficult. In fact, the third one down with a stomach bug this week came home today from school...

Listening to all of your experiences is really giving me a sense of peace that even if I am not as physically prepared as I would like, it will be ok. Thank you.

You all.... <3.... I cannot even tell you how much I have been fretting the last month. Mostly because life is not allowing the amount of physical training I would have liked to do. I have 7 children...getting away for long hikes on a regular basis is difficult. In fact, the third one down with a stomach bug this week came home today from school...

Listening to all of your experiences is really giving me a sense of peace that even if I am not as physically prepared as I would like, it will be ok. Thank you.

The sense of peace you are now feeling is the knowledge that you have done all that you can to prepare....and that everything will be even better than you had hoped.
Don't over prepare or try to work out every detail of an unknown endeavor. Just enjoy the discovery.
Drop all expectations and pre-conceived ideas of what you will experience on your adventure.
Simply get to your starting point, sleep...awake and start walking.
The peace of your camino can make a change in your life.

The sense of peace you are now feeling is the knowledge that you have done all that you can to prepare....and that everything will be even better than you had hoped.
Don't over prepare or try to work out every detail of an unknown endeavor. Just enjoy the discovery.
Drop all expectations and pre-conceived ideas of what you will experience on your adventure.
Simply get to your starting point, sleep...awake and start walking.
The peace of your camino can make a change in your life.

Thank you. /sniff

I'm more than a little scared. I've never traveled overseas by myself, and I'm leaving my husband and 7 kids (23-6) for 3 and a half weeks. I know I am supposed to do this. Not knowing how, though, is really unnerving to me.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you. /sniff

I'm more than a little scared. I've never traveled overseas by myself, and I'm leaving my husband and 7 kids (23-6) for 3 and a half weeks. I know I am supposed to do this. Not knowing how, though, is really unnerving to me.
Yeah, it's a bit daunting at first. I was no stranger to overseas travel or living (literally years of it), but I gotta admit, when I first arrived in SJPdP I had no idea what I was doing, ha ha. Soon enough though, you get a feel for it and wonder why you had any doubt in the first place. For me, the whole experience brings so much inner peace.
ultreia

Ok. Got to be honest - when I saw the title of this thread (Intro and Question about Mass) my first thought was "what does an object's resistance to acceleration when a net force is applied have to do with the Camino?" and I got REALLY EXCITED about what the answers would be ;-) And after reading the responses, I was humbled and still very excited with what was posted.
I'm being very idle here, I know ...'but https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/irish-dates.24136/

Yes, the Triacastela priest asked me to read the pilgrim blessing in English at the end of Mass, and it was one of the highlights of my 2014 Camino. Before the Mass started, he urged us pilgrims to not only participate but to be enthusiastic in our prayer responses. A very memorable Mass.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Also you may discover that you are attending a funeral rather than Mass, be careful of assumptions.
I ended up at a number of funerals on the Camino. Unlike here, where they are "private events", along the Camino they are very much a community affair, with anyone and everyone attending. No eulogies either, just a straight forward mass with a prayer for the dead.

And they tend to group them: anyone who died between this and that date hets the same mass. I remember in Los Arcos seing all the herses: I wondered what calamity had struck the down for all these people from one family to have died at the same time. o_O You do not need to bolt. It's an open service.

What I really like about death and funerals in the towns and villages are the coloured sheets of paper anouncing someone's passing and posted all over town for the whole community to be advised. It is a community's affair, not a private, individual one.

I ended up at a number of funerals on the Camino. Unlike here, where they are "private events", along the Camino they are very much a community affair, with anyone and everyone attending. No eulogies either, just a straight forward mass with a prayer for the dead.

And they tend to group them: anyone who died between this and that date hets the same mass. I remember in Los Arcos seing all the herses: I wondered what calamity had struck the down for all these people from one family to have died at the same time. o_O You do not need to bolt. It's an open service.

What I really like about death and funerals in the towns and villages are the coloured sheets of paper anouncing someone's passing and posted all over town for the whole community to be advised. It is a community's affair, not a private, individual one.
Thank you for explaining that.

Thank you for explaining that.
It helps when you speak the language as I lukily do. But as I said, I initially was stunned, bit follwed others and sat in the back, just in case.

Did love how a death in the village is everyone's business, not jist of those who stand to inherit a € or 2.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
There are several places along the CF where one of the options is staying in a convent. If you can, you won't forget it!

I still remember the three nuns singing together with the pilgrims in Carrión de los Condes, and all the places where the nuns invited pilgrims to their non-Mass gatherings in the evening, and I still have at least three of the tiny amulets someone gave me in a church or convent to carry with me on the Camino - including the paper star from Carrión...

We found the church at Vilabade (Primitivo) open and being prepared for a service. A warm welcome from the folk already there. Turned out it was for 2 baptisms, so we sat outside for the Angelus before walking on. The families came running up while that was being said.
We have also been at Sunday Mass when the departed were remembered, not a funeral but the 'year's mind', also First Communion in larger towns on several occasions over the years. It is good being part of the community as a pilgrim even when not closely involved.

There are several places along the CF where one of the options is staying in a convent. If you can, you won't forget it!

I still remember the three nuns singing together with the pilgrims in Carrión de los Condes, and all the places where the nuns invited pilgrims to their non-Mass gatherings in the evening, and I still have at least three of the tiny amulets someone gave me in a church or convent to carry with me on the Camino - including the paper star from Carrión...

Is there anywhere to do this between Astorga and Santiago?

We found the church at Vilabade (Primitivo) open and being prepared for a service. A warm welcome from the folk already there. Turned out it was for 2 baptisms, so we sat outside for the Angelus before walking on. The families came running up while that was being said.
We have also been at Sunday Mass when the departed were remembered, not a funeral but the 'year's mind', also First Communion in larger towns on several occasions over the years. It is good being part of the community as a pilgrim even when not closely involved.

Tbh, I wish it was more like this here in the states. It just sounds wonderfully comforting to the family members of those who have died, or who are making sacraments. My own priest only does baptisms between masses. I really dislike that. There is something wonderful about the whole congregation watching a baby baptized. <3

Mass in Rabanal is not until 9.30 AM, which suits the locals just fine, but is not so well-timed for pilgrims, who have mostly hit the road at least 2 hours before.
You are right about the Mass time; however, circumstances at the time found us still in Rabanal at Mass time, which allowed me to pray for my wife's recovery from the food poisoning she unfortunately contracted probably from a bad tuna empenada lunch at the (bar name edited) the day before. The hosptilaleros at Rabanal were kind enough to allow us linger until noon or so, at which time we walked the few miles up the road to Foncebadón. Starting the next day from Foncebadón meant we reached the Cruz de Ferro just as the sun was rising and before the crowds arrived, and the cross at the top of the pole was the first thing lit as the sun came over the horizon. It was one of the most emotional moments of our entire Camino for both of us. We realized that the events of the previous two days were not just a coincidence...we were meant to be at that place at that time.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are right about the Mass time; however, circumstances at the time found us still in Rabanal at Mass time, which allowed me to pray for my wife's recovery from the food poisoning she unfortunately contracted probably from a bad tuna empenada lunch at the Cowboy Bar the day before. The hosptilaleros at Rabanal were kind enough to allow us linger until noon or so, at which time we walked the few miles up the road to Foncebadón. Starting the next day from Foncebadón meant we reached the Cruz de Ferro just as the sun was rising and before the crowds arrived, and the cross at the top of the pole was the first thing lit as the sun came over the horizon. It was one of the most emotional moments of our entire Camino for both of us. We realized that the events of the previous two days were not just a coincidence...we were meant to be at that place at that time.

love this. <3

That's a good idea, planning on going to more than one. I suppose if I get there very late the last day I walk in, it won't be the end of the world if I go to mass the next morning. But it is probably a good idea to at least try for the 7:30 pilgrim's mass.

I'm tentatively planning on walking in from O Pedrouzo to Santiago on my last day. Will have to get settled in Albergue/shower, wait in line for Compostela and then mass. The next day I fly out in the early afternoon. I had hoped to have 2 days in Santiago, but I'm running into issues with scheduling stages that are manageable for me.

I am hitting Rabanal, O Cebriero, Samos, and the monastery in Sarria, for masses along the way.

The pagentry and ceremony and magnificence of the pilgram's mass is not to be missed lightly. You can do both (and probably should)!
Find out when the lines are shortest for the Compostela - if you hit at "rush hour," consider going the next day at a quieter time.

Dear Eve
I encourage you to go to Mass whenever you can. On my Camino France last year I went to Mass wherever it was available at the end of each day, and I found that around two out of every three days I could attend a Pilgrim Mass and Blessing in the city, town or village in whcih I happened to be staying that night. I was pleasantly surprised how many fellow pilgrims I recognised at these Masses. And of course go to the big Pilgrim Mass in Santiago. You will find Confession there too, in English. One more thing; I decided I would go into every open cathedral, church and chapel I passed on the way. Some days there were half a dozen, some none, but every single one was an opportunity for a moment's brief reflection and prayer. And since you are starting in Astorga, do not miss the tiny Ermita del Ecce Homo on the left shortly after you leave Astorga; the inscription on the wall behind the altar, "Ecce Homo, Ecce Deus", was the most profound theology I encountered on the Camino.
Good luck and have a wonderful camino.
MG

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Dear Eve
I encourage you to go to Mass whenever you can. On my Camino France last year I went to Mass wherever it was available at the end of each day, and I found that around two out of every three days I could attend a Pilgrim Mass and Blessing in the city, town or village in whcih I happened to be staying that night. I was pleasantly surprised how many fellow pilgrims I recognised at these Masses. And of course go to the big Pilgrim Mass in Santiago. You will find Confession there too, in English. One more thing; I decided I would go into every open cathedral, church and chapel I passed on the way. Some days there were half a dozen, some none, but every single one was an opportunity for a moment's brief reflection and prayer. And since you are starting in Astorga, do not miss the tiny Ermita del Ecce Homo on the left shortly after you leave Astorga; the inscription on the wall behind the altar, "Ecce Homo, Ecce Deus", was the most profound theology I encountered on the Camino.
Good luck and have a wonderful camino.
MG

I will definitely do this. And I will watch for the one on the way out of Astorga. Thank you!

I will definitely do this. And I will watch for the one on the way out of Astorga. Thank you!

When you are at the Ecce Homo chapel in Valdeviejas along the camino just outside Astorga
do stop at the tree planted nearby to honor the poignant memory of fellow pilgrim Denise Thiem.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi there,

I'm a Catholic and I highly recommend the Pilgim's Mass. the first time I walked the Camino I was walking with non-religious group and when we arrived at SDC they wanted to go to the Pilgrim's Office to get their certificates. I put my foot down and said I hadn't walked all the way to miss out on the Mass. we went in and ALL were so glad to have gone in. Was simply amazing and definitely something to go to. It capped off the walk brilliantly.

There's no real need to finalise that aspect, as there are multiple Masses in the Cathedral daily. You might prefer one of the morning Masses for the locals ? I think anyway it would be better to choose a particular Mass after you are there, not before you've left ... :)

The requirements are to attend a Mass at the Cathedral, to confess, to pray for the Pope and his intentions, and to receive Holy Communion -- plus any other penitence that may have been requested by your confessor or required by a particular situation -- but apart from the Mass and the Prayer for the Pope at that Mass, the confession and the Eucharist can both be deferred to after the return from pilgrimage. There should be no need to do so, but if any last minute hectic time/scheduling/priest availability problems occur, firm commitment to God to go to confession during that Mass is sufficient for the indulgence, provided of course that you then do so very quickly upon your return.

How you feel emotionally and spiritually when you get to Santiago will have been conditioned by your Camino experiences.
Don't plan your mass going too precisely, but do be aware of the opportunities available and just decide when you arrive.
Also, don't be too worried about being on your own in foreign parts.
You will be sharing in the the Camino experiences of all those around you and will find other pilgrims very supportive.
You will be amazed by all the different cultures you come across.

Some of you have noted that attendance at funeral Mass is quite acceptable. My wife and I did not have that experience, but in Sahagun, a sizable town with three functioning churches, we were unable to find a Saturday evening vigil Mass. We encountered a priest and inquired. He invited us to attend a wedding Mass that evening in the chapel at the convent. We did, and we felt that this was quite acceptable to those gathered for the wedding although my wife did complain that she lacked appropriate clothing.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back